Poll: keybind or click and support why

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Click or keybind and support your reason for feeling your choice is better.

For the first five years of my wow existence I clicked the screen with my mouse. I have always completed the content that I set as my goal and would argue with players that stated that there is no comparison to playing completely keybound.

I would make statements like "whatever works better for that person".

I would keybind certain macros for certain fights that I felt I would need at a moments notice and kept a finger over that button for the majority of those given fights.

I had the opportunity to receive some very sound advice from some world ranked players and it kind of opened my eyes. I went out and bought a Razer Nostromo, spent a couple of very painful weeks resisting the urge to click the screen and now a full tier into MOP I have to say that I am completely a convert. So much that, knowing the difference in performance that it brought me, I really prefer not to play with others that I know hold on to playing the game with their mouse.

So, to open the proverbial can of worms, vote the poll, then please support why you feel your opinion on the matter is the right one.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Have you got nothing better to do then opening pointless threads?
    I mean you know everyone would say Clicking Is for noobs, and Binding Is obviously better, So are you just having a desire to just go and fight someone on the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Keny View Post
    Have you got nothing better to do then opening pointless threads?
    I mean you know everyone would say Clicking Is for noobs, and Binding Is obviously better, So are you just having a desire to just go and fight someone on the Internet?

kind of looks like I am not the one starting an argument.
    please post productively or allow others to contribute their opinions in peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally click all my spammable abilities (death strike, rune strike, heart strike etc), but I bind all my important ones for maximum reaction time, i.e Mind Freeze and Taunt.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Even if you are a god in fps and can blindly hit every button with minimal reaction time, you cannot mouseturn and click at the same time.
    /thread

I moved to bonding really early on but I have to admit that I have been stuck on using my mouse to activate things I worry about hitting on a misclick. Things like trinket, pvp, or long CDs like loh
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Deleted
    Moving the mouse takes away attention from mechanics, buttons are more easily commuted to muscle memory. (I have a naga).

Deleted
    i use a mix of both, i bind my most important and frequently used abilities, and interupts/silences and other CCs, and i click things like cooldowns or spells i dont use that often, i probably only use about a maximum of 12-14 keybinds, i do well on that.
    until wotlk i was a 90% clicker, played a main hunter in pvp as well, did quite well, not sure how. if i try and play by clicking now i just can't do it, i still mess up binds occasionally, i use to have some of my cooldowns on bind, but i found my self accidently pressing them ocasionally and it was annoying me so i took it off. i dont have my mounts keybinded.
    i also use 2 side buttons on my mouse, my best keybinds, my thumb is always resting on them so its easy to press, i want to upgrade soon and get a mouse with more buttons on the side as i find them far easier than keyboard binds.

Mostly with keys (holy paladin MS/ Ret OS) but there are some abilities that I just rarely use so I click them, admittedly I could reorganize my keybinds some and keybind my clicked abilities as well. Why don't I? I use them maybe 1-2 a week'ish so I don't really see a need to keybind an ability that will probably always be awkward to use since I just don't use it enough to warrant "muscle programming" it into memory with a keybind.

Personal experience but I do believe that Keybinders are faster than clickers, but I do know some clickers that can give similar skill level keybinders a run for their money and often beat them, as far as dps numbers are concerned.

Deleted
    as to the thread title, i dont think you can really argue that binding isnt better than clicking, no matter how fast you are at clicking, you're not going to be as efficient as a keybinder, but in pve you can get by clicking on some classes ok. my friend mains a ret pala, he clicks all but 2 abilites, judgement and crusader strike bound to the side buttons on his mouse, he does ok in PVE, hes tried binding before, but cant get the hang of it. in pvp he plays a rogue, again clicks all but 2 abilities, i think backstab and shadowstep maybe, he actually does well in BGs, but he is hilariously bad in arena

I converted to binding sometimes ago but use to be a clicker and can't say it isn't better, personally because I found it less stressful than clicking.

However as a previous clicker myself I can completely understand someone for clicking, there are many buttons to remember to bind, you can lose track of keys and it involves more finger work *ba dum bum*

Comparing keybinds to clicking in WoW is like comparing keyboard/mouse combo vs controller in any FPS games. The first solution is simply far superior.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm mostly a clicker and keybind important abilities.
    I've tried to get used to keybinding but it's just so alien to me, I've been playing online games for a long time and always felt better using the mouse.
    I'd love to be able to get used to fully keybinding though, as I'm sure it would improve my performance, quicker reactions etc. However I don't do all that bad as a clicker.

So overall I'm a clicker but I am quite sure that binding is much better. I just can't get used to it.
    Last edited by Neetz; 2013-04-08 at 06:55 PM.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    I converted to binding sometimes ago but use to be a clicker and can't say it isn't better, personally because I found it less stressful than clicking.

However as a previous clicker myself I can completely understand someone for clicking, there are many buttons to remember to bind, you can lose track of keys and it involves more finger work *ba dum bum*

i clicked until wotlk, i found it quite hard to go from clicking to binding, i tried a few times in tbc and couldnt get it, eventually i did it by binding a few spells at a time, started with just steady shit, arcane shot and serpent sting and grew from there, i made a lot of mistakes at first :P but now i dont know how i spent all that time clicking, if i try doing it now i find it too hard to do.

Keybinds are crucial. Don't believe me? Go watch the pros play Starcraft. Keybinds increase speed, period. And these are the people who have the highest mouse speed and best mouse accuracy of anyone on the planet.

That said, I don't bind everything, Things that are relatively uncommonly pressed don't get bound, because it's faster to click it once than to remember that I need to press shift-9.

Deleted
    I key-bind everything. Why? It improves reaction time a great deal, it's been scientifically proven, anyone who claims otherwise is just a silly goose.

On a more serious note, yeah, it really does.

Quote Originally Posted by BellularGaming View Post
    Moving the mouse takes away attention from mechanics, buttons are more easily commuted to muscle memory. (I have a naga).

I tried the naga. I personally do not like playing with a mouse. I use a track ball so all the cursor movements are made with my thumb without having to chase a mouse all over the table.

I get by pretty well and I use a combination. I have an addon that allows me to heal on clicking (clique) and I have some abilities I use keybound. It's really difficult in battlegrounds to target people who are dying effectively by keybinding, considering there are upwards of 25 people (40 in conquest). Clicking allows me to target the enemy for cyclones while healing my allies and myself.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly keybind, but use the mouse for some of the really long cooldown abilities that aren't extremely time sensitive to get off (I.E. as a damage dealer a X% damage increase for 12 seconds on a 2 minute cooldown) and for things like group buffs.

Clicking everything creates a lag in reaction time as a mouse can only move so quickly from one area of the screen to another. Most content is tuned with a second or so extra reaction time on top of what people should be capable of anyway, so it normally doesn't matter. However, I like making the absolute most out of my character so I can pull a group through things when everything's not going according to plan.

For that reason, you won't find me clicking everything.

Deleted
    I mostly play MMOs in general with mouse, and keybind only important stuff. My choice fits me. Why? Because whenever I have a game that has more keys, when I try to click them half of times I miss so generally fail. I'd rather take that 0.1 second it takes to click then miss an ability when I need it, having to look at the keyboard (thus not looking at screen anymore) and only after that pushing it.

I don't think my choice is best in the world, but it's best for me.