Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fire Mage Megaera

Hey guys, my guild is progressing on Megaera (normal, 10m). I am a fire mage and my dps has been alright (80-90k). Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to have better dps on this fight? Should I be using combust as a pattern on every second head? Any tips will be appreciated!
    Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    NT both the active worms.
    Sure it's scumbag dps, but we can keep that our little secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

haha I like the way you think

10+ Year Old Account
    I use combustion unglyphed on this fight, the whole idea is to get each head down as fast as possible, our guild kills each head about perfectly for me to use invo, then open on the new head and combust. Perhaps others fine other ways better, but one combust per head seems the logical way for me.

Wasting globals on the other head seems to be extremely inefficient use of yours and your guilds time during progression. During farm? Sure try and beat the others in cheesy dps... During progression I wouldn't be too happy w/ my team if they were cheezin meters instead of killing bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Don't do that. If your raid leader was half decent, he'd realize what you were doing and call you out (or sit you out).

It's just regular single target DPS for the fight.

I still Glyph Combustion.
    - 1st week or 2 of the tier, we were killing heads roughly every 1:15 (so there will be maybe 1 head that I don't get to use combustion on)
    - Now on heroic, we kill each head at about 1:15-1:30 so, that lines up well with Glyphed.
    Last edited by Windry; 2013-04-08 at 08:45 PM.

Deleted
    Go for incanters ward

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagnerk View Post
    Go for incanters ward
    which certainly wont be an increase dps because you have plenty of time to invo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    which certainly wont be an increase dps because you have plenty of time to invo
    I find with DMG being very easy to predict this tier IW works super well on alot of fights and having to cast evo every min becomes an annoyance...just saying both work well and contribute equally imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Envyadams View Post
    I find with DMG being very easy to predict this tier IW works super well on alot of fights and having to cast evo every min becomes an annoyance...just saying both work well and contribute equally imo.
    Its a really minor annoyance. I really hated the old 6 sec invo, now you only have to invo every minute and it last 3 seconds.. Its really not a problem.

We killed Megarea yestreday and as a fire mage it was the first boss in ToT where my dmg got low compared to the others. In the end i was at 95k but kinda bottom of the meter. I had combustion glyphed and used NT. I just did the usual rotation, every 2nd head a combustion. Depending on RNG i ended between 85k and 115k dps lol. Kinda sucks. As i said, on the kill i had 95k. Still frustrating since imo ive done all right.
    I have also only 32% crit selfbuffed, damn mastery gear all over the place. Sitting on VP cap now for a week and cant use it for anything

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    We killed Megarea yestreday and as a fire mage it was the first boss in ToT where my dmg got low compared to the others. In the end i was at 95k but kinda bottom of the meter. I had combustion glyphed and used NT. I just did the usual rotation, every 2nd head a combustion. Depending on RNG i ended between 85k and 115k dps lol. Kinda sucks. As i said, on the kill i had 95k. Still frustrating since imo ive done all right.
    I have also only 32% crit selfbuffed, damn mastery gear all over the place. Sitting on VP cap now for a week and cant use it for anything
    Had 36% crit self buffed tried fire ended up switching back to frost immediately its such a shit luck based spec, Frost is just soo much more consistent at my ilvl 510.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oraz4000 View Post
    Had 36% crit self buffed tried fire ended up switching back to frost immediately its such a shit luck based spec, Frost is just soo much more consistent at my ilvl 510.
    Same here, was 36% crit and tried fire for 3 lockout, shit is too much RNG, respeced to frost too..

Deleted
    143k yesterday, but there is no way to do numbers while u play legit.

I noticed tonight that with enough dps unglyphed combust on reg is appropriate, the main figure that pointed this out to me was not in fact cd not being up, but losing ticks due to the length of glyphed combustion. With the CD coming up sometimes per the lower 50% I found that there were times I'd lose a tick or two depending on when you get your combust off. Think its definitely preference though. Also in regards to evo v incanter's ward, a minor factor but I'm pretty sure it moderately aides my heals during rampage when I time my evocation right and get a free 10% heal with glyph. I typically end up reupping my Invocation when a head goes down due to the downtime. Anyhow all preferences.
    Daft Punk Forever!

Yes, teach someone who wants to kill a boss to do less EDPS. Brilliant.

OT: If you don't combust near the beginning of Rampage (with the exception of the first head obviously), you should save it for the next. Unglyphed, you should get every head. Glyphed, you'll only get 4 heads (1, 3, 5, and 7).

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 02:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by arizonapriest93 View Post
    I noticed tonight that with enough dps unglyphed combust on reg is appropriate, the main figure that pointed this out to me was not in fact cd not being up, but losing ticks due to the length of glyphed combustion.
    This is assuming you're incredibly unlucky and not popping it before the head hits ~50-70%, or your group's DPS is godlike.

I keep glyphed Combustion and the only time I feel scared (but don't actually) about losing ticks is the first head because I typically pop it around 50% (and our group's DPS is fairly high). The last tick goes off at around 3-5%.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Yes, teach someone who wants to kill a boss to do less EDPS. Brilliant.

OT: If you don't combust near the beginning of Rampage (with the exception of the first head obviously), you should save it for the next. Unglyphed, you should get every head. Glyphed, you'll only get 4 heads (1, 3, 5, and 7).

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 02:35 AM ----------

This is assuming you're incredibly unlucky and not popping it before the head hits ~50-70%, or your group's DPS is godlike.

I keep glyphed Combustion and the only time I feel scared (but don't actually) about losing ticks is the first head because I typically pop it around 50% (and our group's DPS is fairly high). The last tick goes off at around 3-5%.
    Jeez everyone in this thread takes things way to serious. Clearly I was not being serious.
    I'm fairly certain the OP understood that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Jeez everyone in this thread takes things way to serious. Clearly I was not being serious.
    I'm fairly certain the OP understood that point.
    You apparently didn't get my sarcasm in response to your sarcasm.

(In all seriousness though, that's not something you want to do unless you just want to LOOK better)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Saegno I got the joke, and I liked it lol. also thanks for the help guys we ended up killing the boss

Maximising DPS isn't that imiportant on that fight, but you should keep your combustion for the red head. The debuff should not stack to 4 stacks (that's what our main wipe reason was due to tanks dieing).

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep combustion glyphed, its far more superior.