Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stuck on 10 man Megaera

Obligatory World of Logs links for last night's attempts (I am the pally tank):

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-bj81ql0g4psh2799/

We seem to struggle with the blue head's ice beams, so most of the attempts we were only killing Red and Green heads. We tried with 3 heals and 4 heals, alternating healers out, we just couldn't down it. We can pretty consistently get to the 6th head, it seems like the final Rampage transition is what gets us, healers always run out of mana during Rampage or immediately after and then it's a wipe. We had 2 attempts where we got the 7th head to ~50% but I'm not sure how we're going to down this boss. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm not good at reading WoL, but seems that you are going with the Red/green strat.
    Try to kill 1 or 2 green heads less, the venomous aoe bolt is the biggest mana sink of the fight.
    We are doing B-R-B-R-G-R-B while 3 healing it and G-R-G-R-G-R-G with 4 healers, the first combo is a bit messy by the end and you have to deal with some bitchy RNG, the second one is a much more straight forward strat, but very healing intensive... You can mix up the two a little and figure out what works for you, that's the fun part of this boss.

from the look of it your numbers across the board are too low.

HPS in the 50s and below for all the healers on your long attempts, no DPS above 100k, on some of the attempts your shammy is below you on HPS, and some of the DPS are almost getting beat by the warrior tank.

we 3 heal it(we are 10/12 currently so not too much more geared then you guys). healers are at 83k(druid), 63k(shammy), 60k(disc priest), and i do 47k as a BrM monk. for DPS we are at 121k(rogue), 108k(DK), 108k(mage), 101k(hunter), 99k(lock), 82k(myself as BrM monk), and a 69k(prot warrior).

make sure to use all available raid CDs for the rampages, even DPS classes have raid CDs these days. also if you stack next to the head you will be killing next during rampage you can get it down below 75% with ease. only getting 2-3 breaths per head greatly reduces the tank healing needed.

we also pop lust when the 6th head is at about 35%, so that we keep it through the last rampage.

FYI, we go G-R-G-R-G-R-G.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

No green is far easier. I don't know what could be bothering you about blue. Run 2 heals no green and the boss should end up around 50% by the end of Rampage.

But, no blue does work. However, your healers are pushing 50k hps or less. That's half or less than half the healing they should be putting out AND they're somehow going oom. It's most likely a L2P issue, or all your healers are severely undergeared (didn't check armory, but I'd expect 50k out of a healer in full blues).

Only 2 small things I can definately point out.
    1) Use hammer of light, it will take a LOT of strain off the healers in the rampages. Whacking that down with full vengeance gives big numbers and it lasts for 80% of a rampage.
    2) Use hand of purity more, I tank red mostly and use HOP first breath, Unglyphed DP second, HOP 3rd. You then have ardent defender and GOAK to weave in.
    3) Lust on the rampage before the 6th head. This will make the 6th head die much quicker and if you get to the 7th head with nooone dead you can hang in for a kill.

As others have said, theres a bit of an l2p factor here too. Less than 80k single target dps isn't really on with full raid buffs and pots etc.

Healing Tide Totem was used an average of once per attempt. With many of your attempts going 8-9 minutes, it should get at least double (close to triple) that usage. Spirit Link Totem was only used 9 times.
    Mana Tide was used 17 times.
    Pain Suppression was used twice.

Raid leader and healers should get a raid cooldown mod to watch and call out what you have for rampages. With proper cooldown usage, you could easily run 3 heals and down this boss.

Your dps needs to step it up, as well, but this is easily remedied if your 3 healers become more effective/efficient.

Get a tight healing cooldown rotation going for the rampages and its not too difficult.
    Here's our kill log (from this week, our only kill so far): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4670&e=5192

For reference, we averaged just under 505 ilvl, are currently 5/12N, and this boss took a total of 11 attempts.

Killed it in pug other day.
    order was: blue-red-blue-red-green-blue-red.

We were stuck on that boss for a while as well, with that same strategy (ignoring blue) and it didn't work for us. Once we changed to BRBRGRG we killed it, because the green explosion was draining our healers' mana.
    (here's our log)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2...e/?s=102&e=581

(also during rampage we stack near the next head we are killing so the melee can keep dpsing)
    Last edited by Aquarela; 2013-04-09 at 09:22 AM.

I love when people say "I killed it" and yet offer the OP no help. Thanks for your input...

Anyway... you have two warlocks. Have them put their portals down and this will help you immensely with getting away from the ice beams if people are especially slow. By the time the beams catch you they should have expired. The beams honestly are not that fast though, but it might help a healer recover faster if they have to move. Have your ranged and healers at the max range they can be to avoid littering the area in front of the boss with cinders or ice patches. If one gets too close dispell the cinders over it to clear it.

Line up a cooldown rotation to survive the rampages easily (say your warrior's shout with barrier, or one of your paladin's cooldowns) this includes heathstones when things get a bit ropey at the end, especially when you add the green head as your fifth.
    Braayden
    Steve Dalton of Enlightened Industries - EVE Online

Quote Originally Posted by braayden View Post
    I love when people say "I killed it" and yet offer the OP no help. Thanks for your input...

Anyway... you have two warlocks. Have them put their portals down and this will help you immensely with getting away from the ice beams if people are especially slow. By the time the beams catch you they should have expired. The beams honestly are not that fast though, but it might help a healer recover faster if they have to move. Have your ranged and healers at the max range they can be to avoid littering the area in front of the boss with cinders or ice patches. If one gets too close dispell the cinders over it to clear it.

Line up a cooldown rotation to survive the rampages easily (say your warrior's shout with barrier, or one of your paladin's cooldowns) this includes heathstones when things get a bit ropey at the end, especially when you add the green head as your fifth.

I don't understand what you're saying. everyone in this thread has given helpful advise: change the strategy because ignoring blue only works with perfect execution and/or good gear. Assign healing cooldowns, etc. Also they need to dps the next head during rampages, seems like they are stacking and stopping dps. (i might be wrong since i'm not good at reading logs, but it seems that way)

I was referring to Nessus who only gave the head order with a "I killed it in a pug"... The OP (as with most posters here) knows the correct strategy; what they want is tips on how to make that work for their group.

Though I apologise if it was rude.
    Last edited by braayden; 2013-04-09 at 09:33 AM. Reason: emphasis added
    Braayden
    Steve Dalton of Enlightened Industries - EVE Online

2 of your dps arent even hit capped, with your affliction lock being 7% under cap.... 25 missed haunts for the night lol... might want to talk to them about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateng View Post
    2 of your dps arent even hit capped, with your affliction lock being 7% under cap.... 25 missed haunts for the night lol... might want to talk to them about that.
    Its low, but to my knowledge, hit is less important for aff locks than mastery. Its the only spec in the game who can get away with not beeing hit capped and do more damage than if they were.
    Its just a matter of QoL, not being hitcapped can be frustrating and requires more attention.
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

I'll give you our strategy, since we're also 10-man and I'm a protadin as well.

First off, I make sure to assign raid cooldowns to every rampage ('cept the first which you really don't need cooldowns for).

Second, we started progression by only killing Green and Red heads but bolt damage was getting high by the end so we just replaced one of the green heads for a blue one and our order ended up being: G - R - G - R - B -R- G.

As a Paladin tank you should be tanking Red head everytime (though you may have to switch after Blue head or so if your offtank can't drop green stacks). Take off your DP glyph if you have it and spec for HoPurity. Those two make the Red dot a joke. If your other tank had to pick the red head at any point just make sure you get your HoPurity up on him.

Also, to minimize Poison Bolt damage we did the following:

Split the raid, excluding tanks, into 3 groups:

Group 1 - All melee DPS plus a good melee-range healer (i.e. monk);

Group 2 - 1 Healer + roughly half of you ranged DPS;

Group 3 - 1 Healer + the rest of your ranged dps;

Group 1 is always stacked up right behind the head that is to be nuked.

Group 2 and 3 have set positions (marked with a world marker) about 30 yards from the boss, apart from each other about 20 yards, and players should always be stacked up with their group.

This strategy is made to avoid DPS loss and incoming damage caused by Poison Bolt. Having the raid in 3 groups guarantees one of the 3 will get targeted by the bolt. Then, only that specific group moves away for the bolt and, once it lands, go back into position.

During rampage everyone stacks up on Group 1 (melee) position for the next head to be killed, that way melee can start nuking the head during transition and only the ranged groups and tanks will have to move once rampage is over.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention.

Dealing with Cinders - Melee just drop them someplace they won't have to stand to kill any of theads, as close to the cliff as possible. This may cause movement trouble during rampage but it was done to minimize melee dps loss (Since our melee are our top DPSers). People from other groups just move a few yards to the BACK of the cave and drop it there. Each particular group's healer is responsible for dispelling all members of said group. Ranged group healers might have to help the melee group if you have too many melees (and dispell cooldowns might not be enough for everyone).
    Last edited by Grimord; 2013-04-09 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Its low, but to my knowledge, hit is less important for aff locks than mastery. Its the only spec in the game who can get away with not beeing hit capped and do more damage than if they were.
    Its just a matter of QoL, not being hitcapped can be frustrating and requires more attention.
    I think at higher skill levels it probably is, but the last thing a warlock with ~70% dot uptime needs is to miss dot applications :O

We do the following in 10 man:

Green -> Red -> Green -> Red -> Green -> Blue -> Red

Our reasoning:

Dealing with the blue head is a total pain in the ass however completely ignoring the blue all the way through means he hits crazy stack level and damn near one shots me as a tank so we save his reset for the 2nd to last. After you kill the blue head you stack up for rampage and lust. Red should be dead not long after coming out of rampage and you shouldn't have to deal with more than 1 ice beam going out. Save all majors tank CDs for that last push.

God speed.
    --
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Nejji/advanced
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.”

Blademaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neji View Post
    We do the following in 10 man:

Green -> Red -> Green -> Red -> Green -> Blue -> Red

Our reasoning:

Dealing with the blue head is a total pain in the ass however completely ignoring the blue all the way through means he hits crazy stack level and damn near one shots me as a tank so we save his reset for the 2nd to last. After you kill the blue head you stack up for rampage and lust. Red should be dead not long after coming out of rampage and you shouldn't have to deal with more than 1 ice beam going out. Save all majors tank CDs for that last push.

God speed.
    My raid does it in the same order too, but we find it better to bl on 6 head and time it so it runs out just after last rampage. By then last head is down to 60%. Also it was not really the rampages that killed us or drained our mana, it was the constant green aoe you get in the end, so do not hesitate to use healing cooldowns during head number 6.

Here is what we did to kill it this week.

Green -> Red -> Green -> Red -> Blue -> Red -> Green.

We tried with only Red -> Green on the first try but it was obviously too hard for us (~500-505 ilvl) so we just added a blue between two red one.
    We kept bloodlust for the last red since it was the hardest one with one tank standing far away from healers.

We killed it on our 10th try, it's just about having a good CDs rotation during rampage.
    Last edited by Sandwhale; 2013-04-09 at 07:19 PM.

So, this is a stupid question I think, but do most of you guys swap the tanks after 2 breaths, or after each head dies? (for guilds not geared enough to kill the heads before the 3rd breath)