Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy is my favorite.

Another great one is Pat Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle (although he's only published the first two parts - The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear).

The Dresden Files- Jim Butcher

for Modern authors he is the best in my opinion, for all time I think LotR might have to win because it is the father of modern fantasy for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarend View Post
    Listen to this man.
    or not. sword of truth was decent for about the first two books sans the whole "evil is evil and has no good qualities and good is good and has no bad qualities"
    for example: Richard is depicted as being over 6 feet tall, well muscled, yet he is agilie, extremely intelligent, and very adaptive, hes also a virgin well into his 20s and only willingly has sex with 1 woman.

richard has absolutely no detestable traits, which, makes him a bit of a gary stu. characters need to have depth, flaws, to truly be engaging (unless your just one of those perfectionists).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    or not. sword of truth was decent for about the first two books sans the whole "evil is evil and has no good qualities and good is good and has no bad qualities"
    Right. 'xcept for the part where Richard is befriending a tribe of cannibals. Or working together with Shota on multiple occassions. Also, let's not forget about the Sisters of Light. Or the parts where wizards fused souls of innocents together to create that infamous sword in the first place. Yup, everything's totally whitewashed.

On the other hand we have Nicci, who is a Sister of Darkness and therefore totally evil. Right? Just like those Mord-Sith. Horrible people.
    Then there's Jennsen, who joined Jagang at first.

Richard is depicted as being over 6 feet tall, well muscled, yet he is agilie, extremely intelligent, and very adaptive, hes also a virgin well into his 20s and only willingly has sex with 1 woman.
    I'm pretty sure half of that stuff is made up. At first he's just your usual rangerish type, he's building up the muscles over the course of the series, iirc. Intelligent? Yeah, sure, why not? He's the protagonist after all (plus there needs to be a reason why he was chosen to be the Seeker).
    Because that's so unusual. Yada yada, love at first sight.

For the last part I'm just gonna quote another post I read a while ago:

Did you even read Temple of the Winds or Blood of the Fold or Stone of Tears? Talk about a character who makes mistakes, screws up, and watches his plans fall to pieces. And I'm perfectly comfortable with saying that after what he went through with Denna, it's amazing the man is still sane, let alone functional.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarend View Post
    Right. 'xcept for the part where Richard is befriending a tribe of cannibals. Or working together with Shota on multiple occassions. Also, let's not forget about the Sisters of Light. Or the parts where wizards fused souls of innocents together to create that infamous sword in the first place. Yup, everything's totally whitewashed.

On the other hand we have Nicci, who is a Sister of Darkness and therefore totally evil. Right? Just like those Mord-Sith. Horrible people.
    Then there's Jennsen, who joined Jagang at first.

I'm pretty sure half of that stuff is made up. At first he's just your usual rangerish type, he's building up the muscles over the course of the series, iirc. Intelligent? Yeah, sure, why not? He's the protagonist after all (plus there needs to be a reason why he was chosen to be the Seeker).
    Because that's so unusual. Yada yada, love at first sight.

For the last part I'm just gonna quote another post I read a while ago:
    ltes take this in turn k? those cannibals? at first didn't even want anything to do with richard, if kaylan hadn't been with him, blood would have been shed. shota isn't evil, shes gray. she on numerous times works towards the good of the world.
    the sisters of the light? yeah ok ill give you them, but i said "For the first couple of books it was decent".

nicci is one of the reasons i have any respect at all for the sword of truth, she is a character who was really well done. as was cara. jennsen was a whiney little brat who was easily MANIPULATED into doing whatever someone wanted.

pretty sure half the stuff is made up? did you ever look at the cover artwork? or read the descriptions of him in the books? building up muscles over the course of the series? hah. when? never once do we see him undergo anythign akin to a workout routine, yet in faith of the fallen (one of my favorite books in the series) we see him spending all night hauling big metal beams across the city. not only that, he did them 5 at a time on multiple trips. nicci couldn't even lift one.