Microsoft reportedly planning Pre-E3 Xbox "Durango" event for May 21st, 2013
Please for the love of gaming, don't start a console flame war here. This thread is for the positive discussion about the Xbox 360's successor and it's pending official announcement (see above). For those interested in the PlayStation 4 or WiiU, have threads for you linked below.
- Megathread - Nintendo WiiU
- Megathread - PlayStation 4
Remember!! Everything we know about the console, no matter where you read it, IS A RUMOR, until confirmed by Microsoft directly via official announcement or post-announcement discussion by first and third party developers.
[ What we know about the Xbox 360's successor, "Durango" ]
[ Console Name ]
- "Durango" is the codename given to the Xbox 360's successor based on leaked design documents and documents handed out with devkits.
- The official name may be along the lines of "Xbox 8", "Xbox Loop", or "Xbox Infinity" based on recent web domain arbitration where Microsoft was awarded the domains to multiple Xbox-related domains from domain squatters, most of the domains particularly involve "8" or "infinity"
[ Hardware - Console ]
- "Zune HD"-like hardware platform; using a "main" processor with multiple dedicated "assistive" cores that focus on AI, sound, graphics, physics, networking, encyption, etc. Developed by Microsoft with 2 partners, based on ARM architecture
- The "System on a chip" processor began production in October 2011, by IBM & Global Foundries; "PowerPC CPU married to an ATI Southern Islands GPU or 7000 series"
- 16-core IBM PowerPC CPU
- AMD/ATI 7000 series GPU
- No "hard" drive, will use a solid state drive, pointing towards a 500gb drive.
- Blu-Ray disk drive included
- "Smaller than the 360, and cheaper to increase Kinect adoption"
- "Durango" is supposed to be "one to eight" times more powerful than the Xbox 360.
[ Hardware - Controllers & Kinect ]
- Leaked design documents show the Kinect has been updated to support 6 people (up from 2), and recognizes 25 points on the body (up from 20).
- A new controller will be used, and is described by Kotaku as a "natural progression" of the 360's controller.
- The 360's controllers will not be compatible with Durango, as it uses a "new wireless technology"
- The "Durango" controller may have a HD screen surrounded by "traditional 360 buttons and sticks"; similar to the WiiU's gamepad, with extra added functionality as a potential remote, portable gaming device, internet browser, or additional game features (depending on the game).
[ Hardware - Other Peripherals ]
- Support for virtual or augmented reality glasses to enhance the experience.
- "Illumiroom" projector extends the game's environment to your walls via 3D projector.
- "Smart Glass" revealed previously for 360 may be integrated as a core function into the new system.
[ Software - Operating System ]
- The system may require an always-on internet connection, though whether it is limited to just games or the whole system is unknown.
- The console's operating system may be based off of Windows 8, furthering Microsoft's goals of unifying everything under a single OS.
- May support a form of multi-tasking where users can pause a game, go to the dashboard, load a different game, and switch between the two without losing any progress in either game. This is commonly found on PC, but new to consoles.
[ Software - Games, Apps, etc ]
- Games are required to be installed to play, and can install while playing the game.
- "Used games" may not work on the console, as a part of the requirements to install games and have an always-on connection.