Poll: How will you handle loot?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

If you were a GM, how would you handle loot?

Imagine you're a guild master of a heroic raiding guild, how would you handle loot?

If your option is not in the poll, please state so.

In my personal opinion I'd go with a loot council of 1-4 people, but give out loot out of performance/attendance and not just give it away.

I'm a GM of a 8/12 25 man normal guild, nothing world first or super heroic raiding and we do a loot council system.

We use a council of 5 and do unanimous voting. I have 1 Ranged dps, 1 Melee dps, 1 healer, myself (raid leader) and our MT all vote for each piece of loot. It works very well since it doesn't cause any drama. We do our best to spread loot so everyone gets a piece a week (when applicable) and we use attendance and performance as weighting to decide who gets what.

On top of all of that, AskMrRobot has a website mod called RoboCouncil which helps rank loot based on who gets the largest upgrade and what is BiS. Very very helpful.

I actually use my own loot system equation in my guild that seems to work rather well. It takes a lot of the stuff other loot systems have implemented and rolls it into one. And it works rather well.

Loot council for my guild works extremely well.

I was never a fan of it back in the day, but it's actually a balanced way I've realized to distribute look evenly and to everyone.

You can't always depend on rolls; there are very greedy people out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Never used loot council, but heard from friends who used to have it. I feel it's very risky, it might work well in some guilds, but in others it causes a ton of drama when someone is unhappy of not receiving a certain piece of loot, or if they feel that some get lots more than others unfairly.

I would go with EPGP, it's the system we use in our guild and it works well.

10+ Year Old Account
    loot council works really well for our guild. Keep in mind that you need people who are actually there to kill bosses and make it a team effort and don't see loot as their number 1 priority.

We've had some drama, but not a lot. Usually the people that caused drama were the people that found their own efforts more important then the efforts of others. They're probably not in the guild anymore.
    Warlock (SL main)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Imagine you're a guild master of a heroic raiding guild, how would you handle loot?

If your option is not in the poll, please state so.

In my personal opinion I'd go with a loot council of 1-4 people, but give out loot out of performance/attendance and not just give it away.
    the only reasonable way is DKP because rolling favors the lucky, loot council favors the connected. DKP favors those that participate and contribute.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    the only reasonable way is DKP because rolling favors the lucky, loot council favors the connected. DKP favors those that participate and contribute.
    You should look up EPGP if you think DKP is the only non-roll based system...

Our guild used DKP back in BC before I joined, but switched to EPGP in Wrath as it's much better.

All the guilds I've raided with used EPGP, it's a very effective system. Don't see much need for Loot Council unless you're going for World Firsts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Transparent loot council/point system hybrid. Same thing we've been doing for years and it has always worked brilliantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loot Counsil will ALWAYS be baised..
    Rolls will always be RNG..
    DKP favors effort..

That said, we used (Konfer) Suicide King in my guild during Cataclysm.. It worked well for our 10man guild..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

For 10man, loot council has worked out well for my groups.

For 25mans of the past, Percent based DKP (you horde more you spend more) has worked best for the 2 guilds I was part of. The percent cost varied per slot with some tweeks needed for weapon slots. DKP earned per half-hour in raid, not per boss kill. On time and End of raid bonuses. Simple system to understand for all raiders and removed any "perceived" human bias.

Never used EP/GP.

I absolutely cant stand /roll, especially in a 25man setting.

Used Suicide Kings in BWL. At that implementation, tier 2 bracers were worth as much as Ashcandi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Don't see much need for Loot Council unless you're going for World Firsts.
    Our main reasoning for LC is no hassle with addons that need to be synced or lists of dkp numbers that need to be kept.
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    We pretty much use a council but everybody in the raid has a say so and we purely base it on which players will be used for the next progress kill and if it'll benefit the guild as a whole and in ANY heroic raiding guild this is how it should be. Our Shadow Priest has had a hard time getting any loot over our Warlocks though using this method!

edit: items that are the same upgrade for everybody (Tier pieces) and all players will be used on the next progress kill are just simply rolled, no drama created.
    Last edited by mmoc7300130b48; 2013-04-09 at 07:26 AM.

But dont you think that loot council should funnel loot to the best players? It helps the guild the most and motivates the worse players to get better and earn their loot. They do this in Method/Envy, when I was officer during WOLK we did this and it made us go from realm 5th to realm 2nd. Dps got better from the best players, and the worse players improved to show that they give a damn about their loot/gameplay.

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnicient View Post
    AskMrRobot has a website mod called RoboCouncil which helps rank loot based on who gets the largest upgrade and what is BiS. Very very helpful.
    I'd say take Mr.Robot's stated BiS list with a grain of salt, but really its closer to the guy on the side of the street with a cart of soda cans and a tinfoil hat.

More on topic, just a system that keeps track of past loot acquisitions to give to the person who hasn't gotten loot in the longest period of time or has gotten the least amount of loot. Obviously keeping track of loot repetition cycles such as

week1: PlayerA receives tier legs week 1
    week 2: PlayerB gets the same tier legs week 2 because playerA already had them
    week 3: PlayerA receives a new trinket because PlayerA got tier legs during week 2
    (week 3): PlayerB gets a ring or neckpiece or something small because playerA got the trinket
    week 4: PlayerA receives a second tier piece because playerB got the ring

In that case playerB has to either wait for playerA gets an item before they can get it, or gets jipped by a 'cheap' item and loses eligibility for the good item.

The human factor can reduce that happening a little bit, but only when a system is in place to pay attention and look out for that.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

10+ Year Old Account
    Pass it to whoever needs it the most in order to improve the raid. If, say, two people are eligible for an item, one is wearing an ilvl 489 item and the other is wearing ilvl 500 and the item itself is 510, the 489 gets it. I did something similar back in Vanilla, and nobody seemed to have an issue with it, everyone ended up getting loot at a fairly regular pace instead of a core group of people getting all the upgrades, due to favoritism, stockpiling of DKP, or insane RNG luck with rolls. If it came down to a tie (which, back then, was rare) we simply did rolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    But dont you think that loot council should funnel loot to the best players? It helps the guild the most and motivates the worse players to get better and earn their loot. They do this in Method/Envy, when I was officer during WOLK we did this and it made us go from realm 5th to realm 2nd. Dps got better from the best players, and the worse players improved to show that they give a damn about their loot/gameplay.
    I can't remember this happening in Envy, it mostly went to the players that would be most benefited for the next encounters (rogues/mages for spine hc pre-nerf).

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Pass it to whoever needs it the most in order to improve the raid. If, say, two people are eligible for an item, one is wearing an ilvl 489 item and the other is wearing ilvl 500 and the item itself is 510, the 489 gets it. I did something similar back in Vanilla, and nobody seemed to have an issue with it, everyone ended up getting loot at a fairly regular pace instead of a core group of people getting all the upgrades, due to favoritism, stockpiling of DKP, or insane RNG luck with rolls.

While this is a valid arguement, its not gonna do good in the long run. Look at Envy, Marilina is like 10 ilvl above the other locks. Why is that? Mikeross is 11 illv higher than the other rogues. etc etc....

Better players get better loot, and the guild is in top 10 in the world. Thats how loot should be handled.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with Loot Council. Give the item to the player for whom it's the biggest upgrade. But have some rule about not giving out gear to new recruits, and if people have all too shitty gear I'd tell to gear the hell up via dungeons before thinking they'll get rewards from raids. In my mind, this seems to be the best way. No one can luck out with rolls, and no one gets *all* the gear simply for being too lazy to get anything outside of raids. I feel that this would benefit the raid group the most. Of course, I'd also look at the itemization on the gear the people who wants to item has and the itemization on the loot being "rolled" for. So it's not only looking at ilvl and calling it a day. If a DK and a Ret rolls for a wrist with haste, but only the DK needs haste, the DK gets the item.

This system could promote a lazy attitude, but if everyone has the same mindset, close to no one would try to exploit it by using subpar items in slots they really want to upgrade. But yeah, every system has its flaws.

Never liked DKP and similar systems.
    Last edited by BHD; 2013-04-09 at 07:43 AM.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt