10+ Year Old Account

New Wizard Black Ice Build questions.

Has anyone tried ray of frost on the ptr? If so, have you tried black ice rune and how easy/hard is it to make sure that mobs stay in or around the ice patch left on the ground? I would imagine that some mobs would be too fast and move too much for this to be that great of a build.

In any case, has anyone tried it yet on pTr ?

I would imagine you would need to work in Blizzard with 20% damage buff to make it viable + force weapon.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2013-04-23 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been running a Black Ice build on live for a while now. Not the most efficient but very fun to play with. I never much liked the Archon builds and found them rather boring to play.

So if fun > efficiency I would think that once the buffs to Ray of Frost see live it'll be even more fun. I guess we'll see. I think it will be viable but probably a few percent less efficient overall.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

In the next patch Desintegrate+Blizzard with cold blood passive will rival with Archon Beam for damage.

Imo Ray of frost is shit, it costs too much also there are no cost removing afix like desintegrate and its single target only, black ice disguises some of it but its frustrating when mobs just pass though the black ice patch.

The slow is ok but Desintegrate can also slow for 60% with the arcane passive.

Its ok for ubers but thats it, imo Sleet Storm rune should be able to be cast while moving to rival WW

I don't even know how you're supposed to use a Black Ice build. I tried it but I just kept running out of AP all the time, especially on elites. Even with 20 AP on crit and 40% crit chance, I was still running out of AP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    I don't even know how you're supposed to use a Black Ice build. I tried it but I just kept running out of AP all the time, especially on elites. Even with 20 AP on crit and 40% crit chance, I was still running out of AP.
    The "ray" spells have very low proc coeficients thats why Life on hit and AP on crit are shit on them,

Disintegrate build?

two hand for less AP drain; helm with reduced disintegrate cost; magic weapon + refund AP rune; chaos energy rune for additional beams which are basically free hits/crits (which take the entire LoH and AP on crit stats).

My profile is in the sig. I basically never run out of AP, and i focused on damage just because i like the idea of ignorant monobutton ray of death. Anyway the requirements are just above - the only true mandatory thing is a two hand since i assume enough AP on crit can replace one of the other two things, but the AP drain is directly tied to the weapon you are using, and a two-hand is just way better.

EDIT: since i abuse of frost nova, i'm planning to switch Blur for the passive damage on frozen targets.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2013-05-06 at 02:24 PM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

A good Skorn with LS is pretty expensive, so iam running with a 1h spear I had with crit damge.ls and socket it has low APS anyway 1,20.

Other thing is that with Skorn you miss out on the massive 10% crit from offhand and APonCrit

I dont think a 2H is mandatory, but low APS is