Deleted

Noctua's new CPU coolers.

So, Noctua released some new CPU coolers today. Interestingly, they focused on the ability to keep using 'high profile' RAM. Because... smaller CPU heatsinks to accommodate bigger RAM heatsinks make total sense, right. Right?

Specs:
    NH-12S: NF-F12 120mm fan. Extra slim. Allows for big RAM heatsinks even with two fans mounted. 755 Gram.
    NH-14S: 140mm fan. Only guaranteed room for big ram on Socket 2011 when using a single fan. (o.o) Dual fan will block the first RAM spot. 935 Gram.

Still, curious how they will perform. Pics after the click!

They should be costing 60 and 70 euros. (70 being the slightly bigger one.)

It's the Noctua NH-U12S and the Noctua NF-U14S. Lastly, would like to note that for the same price, you can get the NH-D14. More heatpipes, more surface cooling area, more bang for your buck. But you technically can't use HP RAM with it!

What do you guys expect from these new coolers? Anything ground-breaking? Or just... yet another grouped release of non-innovative, traditional coolers?

Posted this in the computer chat thread at first, but I think it would make for a nice discussion. Hence, repost.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-04-09 at 08:56 AM.

Deleted
    looks good , the only thing they could have improved on imo.
    however it's more of an extra instead of mandatory. (my NH_-D14 only covers my first slot iirc) so this only matters for people who like to run allot of ram.

Intresting, smarter design to fit bigger RAM but I think its about the same preformance as an EVO and alikes.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

It is just a slight upgrade of their older models, nothing interesting here.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Nofen is actually pretty cool if you want a fully silent computer, couple that with a passive PSU and an SSD and you have yourself a completely silent workstation.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Smarter option would be just using a hacksaw to get rid of the RAM decorations, then you can fit in proper CPU cooler...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Smarter option would be just using a hacksaw to get rid of the RAM decorations, then you can fit in proper CPU cooler...
    A 1mm flathead screwdriver would get the job done too tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like, over the past few years, Zalman is one of the few companies that at least tried to innovate with different designs and forms. I don't know if they were successful, but at least they try to make something different? Maybe the 'fat block + horizontal fan' is just the best design. I'm not sure.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I feel like, over the past few years, Zalman is one of the few companies that at least tried to innovate with different designs and forms. I don't know if they were successful, but at least they try to make something different? Maybe the 'fat block + horizontal fan' is just the best design. I'm not sure.
    I doubt there is much to be gained from a new design. Most gain can most likely by won by different kind of fins, different heat pipes, fans etc.

I wouldn't call Zalmans coolers innovative, in my view they are stuck in the early 2000s with their orb like designs.

What drives heat transfer is surface area. At present, "the block" seems to provide the most surface area while still being compact. Downdrafts are still possible, but their overall size is going to be larger than pass through's that we see (like the EVO).

10+ Year Old Account
    they are certainly trying new things, but failing miserably, the CNPS12X is a piece of art, but it's offset design makes it useless as a heatsink

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 12:06 PM ----------

also, why is this in build help?
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-04-09 at 06:05 PM.