Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    I need a review for my incoming build

    CPU: Core i7-3770K Unlocked Edition 3.5Ghz 3rd Gen at P15,490

    MOBO: SABERTOOTH Z77 at P12,490.00

    GPU: Asus ENGTX660Ti DirectCUII 2GB GDDR5 192Bit at P13,350.00

    HDD: WD Green 1TB 64MB at P4,490

    PSU: Corsair TX750M 80+ 750W Modular at P4,690.00

    CASE: NZXT Lexa S Black Steel at P2950

    SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SATA III 6GB/s 2.5" SSD at 10,890

    RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX Red DDR3 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 at 3,490

    COOLER: Corsair H100i at 5290

    I'M FROM PHILIPPINES AND ALL CURRENCY ARE IN PESOS/PHP

    I WON'T UPGRADE THIS UNIT AFTER 5YRS/7YRS BECAUSE OF COLLEGE

    Budget: IN PHP(Philippine currency) AROUND 75,000 TO 80,000
    Resolution: 1920x1080/1920x1200
    Games / Settings Desired: Ultra settings in 2013 games
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): maybe in college
    Country: Philippines
    Parts that can be reused:None
    Do you need an OS?: No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope
    Last edited by noob987; 2013-04-09 at 10:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Can you fill in this list, please?

    From a glance, it looks like you might be wasting cash on the CPU, Mobo and PSU. And you might be skimping on the storage drive. If you fill out the list above, we'll know what goals you have with the machine and what the best purchase would entail.

  3. #3
    Are you 100% sure you want to spend extra money on i7-3770k (no direct gaming benefit) and Sabertooth which costs twice as much as basic boards?

    Also you don't need 750W PSU to run single graphics card which is one potential place to save money.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  4. #4
    High Overlord Guruftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    184
    Agreed with Red, save some cash from CPU, Mobo and PSU and put it on a better GPU.
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White) | MB: ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE | CPU: i7 3770K (4.5GHz)
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H60 (v2) | PSU: Corsair AX 760i 80+ Platinum | GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB
    SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz | Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by noob987 View Post
    Edit done
    You left out quite a few important questions. Can you please fill in the entire list?

  7. #7
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,271
    CPU: Core i7-3770K Unlocked Edition 3.5Ghz 3rd Gen at P15,490
    MOBO: SABERTOOTH Z77 at P12,490.00
    PSU: Corsair TX750M 80+ 750W Modular at P4,690.00
    RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX Red DDR3 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 at 3,490
    You probably don't need an i7. Save some money, get 3570K. It has no gaming performance benefit.
    You don't need a sabertooth. Again, save some money, and get something.. well... $200 cheaper.
    You don't need 750w PSU. Your system probably won't even break 450. You obviously have money to spend, so get a nice Modular Seasonic 520.
    You don't need 1866 ram, it provides no benefit. Stick with 1600.

    The 660ti is nice, however if you can get ahold of a 7870 XT, its much cheaper, and better. Since money is being moved around, it might even be worth moving to a 670, or 7970.

    I understand that you won't be getting another computer for a while, but the stuff listed above won't 'futureproof' or 'make it last longer'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  8. #8
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You obviously have money to spend
    Quote Originally Posted by noob987 View Post
    I'd like to play it for years cause this be the last time my parents are buying me a gaming rig....
    His parents have money to spend, aye. - Still no reason to go all out on the most expensive pieces of hardware out there. Unless you dislike your parents very much, I guess.

  9. #9
    I picked that stuffs because it was futureproof but chazus said it isnt so any build i go with?

  10. #10
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Intended as a baseline. For anyone else reading this, the budget of 75K Philipine Pesos translates to about 1800 dollars. I saw no need to spend that. This can still be tweaked.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.23 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT LEXA S (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $968.11
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 07:22 EDT-0400)

    Ofcourse, prices are off, seeing as I'm using pcpartpicker and most of the above retailers are not available in the Philipines. It's only to give a rough estimate of what I think you would need.

    All I can really think of to make this build "better", i.e. cost more money, would be upping the graphics card to a 7970. 7950 probably not worth it considering how close the 7870 XT comes behind it. Lastly, you can go for a bigger SSD if you feel it's worth it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Intended as a baseline. For anyone else reading this, the budget of 75K Philipine Pesos translates to about 1800 dollars. I saw no need to spend that. This can still be tweaked.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.23 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT LEXA S (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $968.11
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 07:22 EDT-0400)

    Ofcourse, prices are off, seeing as I'm using pcpartpicker and most of the above retailers are not available in the Philipines. It's only to give a rough estimate of what I think you would need.

    All I can really think of to make this build "better", i.e. cost more money, would be upping the graphics card to a 7970. 7950 probably not worth it considering how close the 7870 XT comes behind it. Lastly, you can go for a bigger SSD if you feel it's worth it.
    Seeing as he has money to burn I would up the SSD to a 256GB and go with a GTX670. The GTX670 is kinda personal preference I guess, I prefer nVidia(even though I have an AMD in my current rig). Though which he would choose really depends on the types of games he plays most often. This being a WoW site primarily I would venture to guess he plays a lot of WoW which will run a little better on an nVidia.

    Only other change, and again, purely preference, is possibly go with a Noctua NH-D14. I think it performs a little better than the Hyper 212 EVO, though not totally sure it is worth the large price difference. It would possibly allow him to OC it more though later on down the road if it starts struggling, extending the life of the CPU.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  12. #12
    Only other change, and again, purely preference, is possibly go with a Noctua NH-D14. I think it performs a little better than the Hyper 212 EVO, though not totally sure it is worth the large price difference. It would possibly allow him to OC it more though later on down the road if it starts struggling, extending the life of the CPU.
    About 10-15% better, and much quieter.

    Also: sound card.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  13. #13
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Seeing as he has money to burn I would up the SSD to a 256GB and go with a GTX670. The GTX670 is kinda personal preference I guess, I prefer nVidia(even though I have an AMD in my current rig). Though which he would choose really depends on the types of games he plays most often. This being a WoW site primarily I would venture to guess he plays a lot of WoW which will run a little better on an nVidia.
    Well, with a 3570K and either a GTX670 or 7870 XT, it's often going to be the difference between 100 and 105 fps I would think. Probably on a 60hz screen. On the budget we're talking, I personally don't think either camp has a major advantage. That's just speculation however, and I'm well aware that in lower price range cards, nvidia beats amd in wow. If I get corrected on this then... well.. I was wrong.

    CPU cooler you're probably right that the Noctua might perform a wee bit better, but that'll only be interesting for -really- high OC's. I don't think that anything around 4.5GHz is a problem for either of the two.

    I also had the tendency to throw more expensive parts in there I just don't feel most of them are worth it. Except the SSD, probably.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,169
    Why not get normal ram instead of the ricer stuff with go faster stripes and spinners that make no difference except increase price?

  15. #15
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Why not get normal ram instead of the ricer stuff with go faster stripes and spinners that make no difference except increase price?
    Because it's low profile 1600 ram? By all means, if you can find solid cheaper low profile ram at the same speed, feel free to make an actual suggestion rather than simply shouting it out.

    Enlighten us, what RAM would you have picked?

  16. #16
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,271
    The Pareema is like... $6 cheaper but.. yeah. At that point it's nitpicking. It's silly to worry about 10-20 bucks on cheaper parts when the important part was to shave off $400 of unnecessary stuff.

    Also, WTF RAM PRICES. I thought $64 was a bit pricey too, but the cheapest ram is like 53 now.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  17. #17
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Also, WTF RAM PRICES. I thought $64 was a bit pricey too, but the cheapest ram is like 53 now.
    After plummeting for so long, for some reason, prices are now slowly climbing. No idea why. o.O

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Well, with a 3570K and either a GTX670 or 7870 XT, it's often going to be the difference between 100 and 105 fps I would think. Probably on a 60hz screen. On the budget we're talking, I personally don't think either camp has a major advantage. That's just speculation however, and I'm well aware that in lower price range cards, nvidia beats amd in wow. If I get corrected on this then... well.. I was wrong.
    When you got that much room in the budget left, might aswell go for a 670/7970. The difference between a 670/7970 and a 7870XT should be noticable.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Well, with a 3570K and either a GTX670 or 7870 XT, it's often going to be the difference between 100 and 105 fps I would think. Probably on a 60hz screen. On the budget we're talking, I personally don't think either camp has a major advantage. That's just speculation however, and I'm well aware that in lower price range cards, nvidia beats amd in wow. If I get corrected on this then... well.. I was wrong.
    Yeah, it won;t be much of a difference, if any on a single monitor 1080p, that's why I did mention it is kinda personal preference.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  20. #20
    Unless prices are radically different in the Philippines, then I'd suggest going all-out on parts (except the GPU), like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT LEXA S (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1405.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 11:34 EDT-0400)

    (Prices are approx. given unknown pricings of other parts.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •