Thread: Slavic lore

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Slavic lore

Anybody else wants to see Slavic lore in WoW? Nothing big. Some examples as to what Slavic mythology and culture could bring to WoW:

Architecture and art:

Some monsters or figures:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodyanoy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    I definitely would not mind it, that's for sure. =P

That looks like a mix between Scandinavian and Native American culture It's pretty though.

^ Looks bloody awesome to me.
    Last edited by Rivin; 2013-03-18 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Removed quote

I want a continent-wandering world boss Baba Yaga who drops a flying mortar mount:

and a shag on chicken legs inspired dungeon is a must, too

A lot of those look pretty similar to the art style seen in MoP. Obviously not saying Eastern European culture = Asian culture, but there seem to be some underlying similarities (at least visually).

Also - I'm not really knowledgable on Warcraft lore, but I thought Pandas/Pandaria was already a part of their lore prior to MoP? Unless the creative heads at Blizzard could incorporate Slavic lore into the game somehow, it would seem a bit out of left field.

I definately wouldnt mind if one of new playable races was slavic themed. Flying broom as racial mount !!!!

Seriosly, I would love it - given the gloomy slavic culture, history and mythology, it would be the creepiest and most sinister stuff in WoW yet.

Grizzly Hills is the great example how Slavic themed expansion would looks like. Dunno i'd prefer something Outlandish for next expansion.

I would like to see more native american (tauren stuff). This is cool too I suppose, but doesn't really fit the universe too well in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    I would like to see more native american (tauren stuff). This is cool too I suppose, but doesn't really fit the universe too well in my opinion.
    They've thrown Asian, Scandinavian, Native American, Victorian and weird alien mushroom worlds into the game but Slavic doesn't fit?

to be honest those houses seem like a mixture between troll and tauren (the drawn ones), but the flying broom would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    A lot of those look pretty similar to the art style seen in MoP. Obviously not saying Eastern European culture = Asian culture, but there seem to be some underlying similarities (at least visually).

Also - I'm not really knowledgable on Warcraft lore, but I thought Pandas/Pandaria was already a part of their lore prior to MoP? Unless the creative heads at Blizzard could incorporate Slavic lore into the game somehow, it would seem a bit out of left field.
    Well I was thinking it could be incorporated into Argus somehow. Surely that planet houses other races apart from the Draenei.

And bring winged cavarly too!

I would love to see Slavic mythology. It's very complex and I still don't know which god is "supreme" or the most powerful.
    Anyone knows?
    Last edited by Sipalb; 2013-03-18 at 09:46 PM.

Well I'd like to see Niko Belic or Vlad the Impaler in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    I would love to see Slavic mythology. It's very complex and I still don't know which god is "supreme" or the most powerful.
    Anyone knows?
    It's pretty tricky actually, because Slavic mythology was not centralized and wasn't conveniently recorded like Norse Poetic Eddas. Supreme deity in Slavic pantheon is mostly considered to be Perun, the thunder god.

It's unfortunate that there's very little info about Slavic culture in English, as opposed to Norse or Germanic. My girlfriend is working on translating Russian folk tales and epics right now. Quite a bit of badassery there. I might relate one once I get more free time on my hands.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

To answer your question, no not really. Also, those buildings look like old Norse architechture, or even Samí culture.

A lot of people will think it's a viking expansion instead of slavic lore. That, or a skyrim knock off.

It looks great though.

In WoW it might be a nice fit, but one thing is sure... I now want to travel to one more place I never thought I'd really care to visit.
    "Brevity is...wit"