The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Quick Questions on "End Game" Goals

I know a lot of this information is out there, even in threads on here, but I wanted more direct answers about a couple of things. I've never made it to max level in this game, because I enjoy playing the game so I have never focused on that, but I really want to now. While they say 'no end game' clearly there are things you can only do at max level. With that in mind, can some people quickly detail a few things?

1) How significant is the currency rewarded from events at 80? Once all the hearts are done, the only places I can see getting gold are from events, vendor trash, and salvaging/ah. Is the bulk of this from completing events?

2) Speaking of events, how prevalent are they in the max level zones? Will there always be an event up and do people just hop around them 'farming' so to speak?

3) I know there are different legendaries and gear, but what does acquiring any of them entail? Is it possible to create a set of gear via crafting without setting foot in a dungeon? Can you farm for legendaries outside of dungeons? Do they all require 100% map, including PvP? I know you can buy some stuff with karma.

4) Speaking of karma, how quickly does it accumulate with max level events? I've been playing for a very long time off and on and my account only has 35k karma. What's an avergae payout of karma and gold for a level 80 event?

I know I'm not 'new' around anywhere on here, but just knowing the answers to these few things will help keep me focused on some goals to motivate me to level, as I want to accomplish some things in this game beyond exploration and map completion.
    BAD WOLF

I wouldnt rely on rewards from completing events to earn gold but rather the mobs in those events. yellow items from max level areas go for like 20-40 silver, not to mention crafting mats youll get which u can sell. You find the occasional exotic which go for a few gold.

To get a legendary youll need 100% map completion, you will have to participate in WvW, you will need to do w.e dungeon you need your gift from (each legendary requires a specific gift from a certain dungeon that you buy for like 500 tokens i think), your also gonna need to throw a ton of gold at they mystic forge trying to get the precursor (need 4 rare or exotic of the same weapon type to have a small % chance at getting a precursor of that weapon type) or you can farm the dragon chests and try for a random precursor.

As for karma you will have a ton of it just lying around. Dont really know what to do with it. Maybe if they put a exotic weapon vendor that sells karma items we can then use those to make precursors but i dont know of any that exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    *snip*
    Thanks for the straightforward feedback. I was afraid that crafting the legendaries would force people to specific styles of play, which I understand the need especially in a game with a lack of specific types of content, but it doesn't make me very excited.

Then again, getting out of my comfort zone might be a good thing, I've just grown really tired of being forced to PvP or group play in order to progress my character the way I want. It's not really the ideal scenario.

The cultural armor/weaps have tiers...do you have to unlock them via some activity or are they just different looks for higher prices?
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-04-09 at 05:24 PM.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I wouldnt rely on rewards from completing events to earn gold but rather the mobs in those events. yellow items from max level areas go for like 20-40 silver, not to mention crafting mats youll get which u can sell. You find the occasional exotic which go for a few gold.

To get a legendary youll need 100% map completion, you will have to participate in WvW, you will need to do w.e dungeon you need your gift from (each legendary requires a specific gift from a certain dungeon that you buy for like 500 tokens i think), your also gonna need to throw a ton of gold at they mystic forge trying to get the precursor (need 4 rare or exotic of the same weapon type to have a small % chance at getting a precursor of that weapon type) or you can farm the dragon chests and try for a random precursor.

As for karma you will have a ton of it just lying around. Dont really know what to do with it. Maybe if they put a exotic weapon vendor that sells karma items we can then use those to make precursors but i dont know of any that exist.
    For karma dumping... you have orr boxes !

10+ Year Old Account
    1) The major sources of gold are running dungeons & fractals, guild missions, playing the AH and doing meta events.

2) You can def farm events at max level. Even doing low level events rewards with you max level rewards. There's a website you can use to hop around to the well known ones (but there's tons more world events + thousands of event chains):
    http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/

3) Yes to crafting exotics without entering dungeons. For legendaries you do need a dungeon gift for each one, the dungeon depends on which legendary you are going for. Imo, Bifrost is the most difficult since you need Arah (the hardest dungeon). Yes, they all require map completion which gives you the Gift of Exploration. They all require PvP for Gift of Battle (easy to get in WvW jump puzzles).

4) Karma comes so easily at max level it's not even a thing. The daily & monthly jugs are a huge source, just make sure you have all the karma buffs on when you use them (guild passive, guild banner, ice cream buff food, communal bonfire booster, karma booster). In my guild we save them up all month then have a monthly event where we put out boosters for everyone and have a karma party. I've been done with my karma requirement for a long time, I now buy exotics and put them in the mystic forge - gets a better return than the Orrian Jewelry Boxes.

More info on legendaries:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary
    Valar morghulis

The cultural armor/weaps have tiers...do you have to unlock them via some activity or are they just different looks for higher prices?
    Different looks for higher prices.

If you are going for a Legendary, don't use the Mystic Toilet for the precursor. Your best and safest bet is just to save up and buy it off of the trading post (unless you happen to get really lucky with a drop).

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback and good linkage. I definitely feel like I've missed out on a lot of enjoyment because I have a.d.d. and began playing the MMO musical chairs game. I feel somewhat confident that even the little time spend in the game can be mostly productive and enjoyable regardless of how I go about it.

What I really should do is just uninstall all the games I don't want to focus on, otherwise each week I get restless and log on to another one and whittle my time away. I think maybe it's time to purge my desktop a little when I get home.

Level 80, here I come.
    BAD WOLF

Well especially GW2 as you can come back at really anytime without feeling like you are behind progress wise with other players. It's kind of the perfect game to take breaks from and return to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well especially GW2 as you can come back at really anytime without feeling like you are behind progress wise with other players. It's kind of the perfect game to take breaks from and return to.
    Yeah, which I have done very liberally. I know a lot of people are unhappy with their development strategies, but I very much appreciate the job that they've done at a one time cost for myself.

That's honestly why I purchased it in the first place and have never felt bad about owning it. I knew a time would come when I could get back into it, but it was just a matter of when. It's why I wanted to ask these questions to better prepare myself and have an attainable vision for how the game will be in order to motivate myself to keep playing.

And I don't need motivation because the game is not enjoyable, just need more focus on my own account.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    1. It's good to have gold at lvl 80 but only as a convenience. The gold that you Need for your goals is easy to come by. Most of my gild expenses are cosmetic or because I want to save time. Your real currency will be in the form of various tokens, karma, and skill points.

2. The thing about being level 80 is that a lot of events are worth it to finance your waypoint cost and karma.

There are about 8 world events that people focus on, not including Temples in Orr. These events are a great source of gear (for fresh 80) and money/ectos (to sell or keep for your own gains)

3. You have to do dungeons, crafting, and WvW for a legendary. No way around it. The other requirements vary and are based on time, luck, dedication, and instead cases money.

4. I've never had a problem gaining karma at 80,I actually gamble a lot of mine away on a box that you can find on vendors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I've never had a problem gaining karma at 80,I actually gamble a lot of mine away on a box that you can find on vendors.
    I'm assuming since you can buy them from the gem store that there is no way to turn karma into dyes, correct? I only ask since you and others are mentioning these boxes and whatnot.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm assuming since you can buy them from the gem store that there is no way to turn karma into dyes, correct? I only ask since you and others are mentioning these boxes and whatnot.
    No, they are boxes you buy from the karma vendors in Orr.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they are boxes you buy from the karma vendors in Orr.
    I got that part....but what's in those boxes...mats, reagents, candy? I'm assuming the 'no' was that dyes are limited to drops, AH, and Gem Store. Which is perfectly acceptable but makes me pout b/c I like the customization. I figure I'll ask all of my questions since this thread is pretty clean and very informative.

It makes me sound like I have no idea about the game, but obviously it's just things I've never really needed to contemplate before I got 'serious' with it.
    BAD WOLF

It's mostly just junk that you get out of the boxes. Usually you will get a small karma potion/jug. You can get some mini pets out of them. And you can get dye from them as well. But it's a gambling box that was really put in for people to spend their excess karma.

Best way to get dyes (aside from purchasing them from the gem store) is to spend your laurels (which you get from dailies and monthlies) on a dye pack (you get 10 dyes for 5 laurels).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mostly just junk that you get out of the boxes. Usually you will get a small karma potion/jug. You can get some mini pets out of them. And you can get dye from them as well. But it's a gambling box that was really put in for people to spend their excess karma.
    Yeah...ok, that's good to know that they 'can' contain dye and pets. I was hoping it was a gambling box for karma. I can get down with that idea.
    Best way to get dyes (aside from purchasing them from the gem store) is to spend your laurels (which you get from dailies and monthlies) on a dye pack (you get 10 dyes for 5 laurels).
    Yeah I've got some laurels, but those uber pets are calling my name...I'm not sure I can afford to waste any on something that isn't a dog in a top hat. Plus who knows what they will add for laurels by the time I make something of myself? How many do monthlies give, 5, 10?
    BAD WOLF

monthlies give 10 laurels.

they did say that achievements will give out laurels or something like that in the future. we shall see if that happens though.

10+ Year Old Account
    mothey did say that achievements will give out laurels or something like that in the future. we shall see if that happens though.
    If that's the case, I hope it's retroactive. My first impression of the achievement system was that it wasn't very motivating to achieve anything and had no point to doing it anyways. After spending some time back in the game though, I like the way it works with various levels of many different things, including kills with weapons and specific mob types.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun back playing this game and think I'm going to transition to only playing B2P/F2P mmos for the time being. I might take that big step and uninstall the juggernaut from my computer. Video games are like tattoos and other various concepts where once you get one, you just want more, then when you get more, you just want mooooooore. Then you don't know wtf to do with yourself.

I need to focus. GW2 is my zen.
    BAD WOLF