Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    OK then, how about you buy a horse, raise it yourself, then see if you feel liking eating the being you just raised since he/she was a baby.

Cows are bred to be eaten, always have been.

Horses on the other hand, are considered companions, kind of like cats and dogs but can do much more for you. Would you wanna eat a cat or a dog?

If you do, then I suggest straightening out your moral compass.

I think some countries ban it because it is a wrong thing to do.

That's a very cultural point of view. It depends entirely on where you live and it certainly isn't a 'wrong thing to do'. There is no reason why horses couldn't be bred for food production like Cows. Some countries do eat cats and dogs as there is nothing unhealthy about eating them.

There is nothing wrong with eating horse. It won't make you sick, it's full of nutrients and I've heard it tastes quite good. If it was available in supermarkets (by design) I'd consider trying it out and if I liked it I'd continue to do so. There is nothing wrong with my moral compass, but anywhere that may ban it is likely to do so as a result of the emotive values they place on what is essentially an animal like any other from a strictly evolutionary point of view.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Horse meat is NOT bad for humans. The whole problem was horse meat being sold as BEEF. That's not what people purchased, yet, it had high content % on their purchases, which is very bad.

Horse meat is actually pretty good to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK then, how about you buy a horse, raise it yourself, then see if you feel liking eating the being you just raised since he/she was a baby.

Horses on the other hand, are considered companions, kind of like cats and dogs but can do much more for you. Would you wanna eat a cat or a dog?

What the hell is this nonsense? People really think this way? Weird...

Quote Originally Posted by shamental View Post
    What's wrong with horse meat? in some countries is against the law to sell horse meat but according to some info, horse meat can be even better than cow meat.

Why don't we get to choose?
    The problem with the recent "scandals" isn't that it's horse, it's that the ingredients didn't mention that there was horsemeat in the product. Since we don't know where those horses came from, nor their health conditions, we had to destroy all food containing that horsemeat. If from now on we can verify where the meat comes from, it's all ok again.
    At least, that's the situation over here in the Netherlands.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    horse meat is better than cow meat has less fat and more protein. the problem with this case besides advertising cow beef meat instead of horse. is that also they dunno where that meat came from and if it's up to European regulation. they also found toxins in the meat. has for the country's that have horse meat as illegal it's all about history and nothing about the meat itself.
    Last edited by siafu; 2013-04-11 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just the fact that it was labeled as beef. It has, however nothing bad in it. Infact, it's healthier than beef anyway.

What's the mosty fun of, is that the hulabaloo started when the beef was like... looked into. Stupid and whiny people started the whining at the moment they found it out.
    It's like drinking topnotch whisky, and getting apeshit when someone found out it was 1 star russian whisky.
    If you can't find out stuff like that yourself, or even notice it, don't bother whining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by shamental View Post
    What's wrong with horse meat? in some countries is agaisnt the law to sell horse meat but according to some info, horse meat can be even better than cow meat.

Why don't we get to choose?
    There's nothing wrong with eating horse meat as such (other than cultural issues that some people may have), what's wrong in this entire debacle is that they put random shit in our food without telling us.

It's not bad for humans; very healthy in fact, and particularly lean. Said to taste better than horse.

I think people like to know if they're eating it though.

Deleted

How is this different than eating any other animal after you have personally raised it since it was a baby?

OT: The whole issue is that they have been telling us we have been eating beef while it wasn't. Not that it's bad or anything.

There's just so much crap in there. That depends really on the person and on where you live. Some horses are bred to be kept, others are bred to be eaten. Did you know pigs are being kept as a pet? They actually make lovely companions, but you're probably too busy being morally right and eating your bacon. Rabbit is great meat too, yet they're pets. Would I eat dog or cat? If the opportunity presented itself, I may very well. I find it hypocritical to eat cows and pigs and chickens, but not rabbits or horse or other meat. An animal is an animal, a life you take to eat it, personal feelings should not come in the equation when you choose what to kill for your appetite. That's a bit like playing like god: "I like horses more than cows so the cow can die". So, from my perspective, you're the one who should straighten your moral compass.

Ah, but that's the thing with morals, they're largely the same across the world (we can agree on major things, like theft), but for details, it will be different for everyone.

I have had the same opinion or horses my entire life. They are a waste of money that has no practical uses, THe federal government even spends something like $70,000.00 per rancher in Kansas to let the dumb wild stallions roam on their land. There are much better places to spend that money I would think, Horses became Obsolete in the Early 1900's.

10+ Year Old Account

You do realize that people have been raising Horses for meat as well since the neolithic age, right?

The only reason it wasn't as common as cattle is because they could be used as transportation as well, which was more important since cattle can't do the same.

The banning of Horse slaughter in the U.S. is what led to the Horse market tanking. Horses that used to be able to go for $10,000 are now being sold for $2,000 because noone is buying them because people have too many of them, and since they're so expensive to keep people end up stuck with Horses that they don't want or can't afford.

I'm not very keen on Horse slaughter, not in the least, nor are any of the Horse trainers in my area. But there are just too many of them at this point and it's have a serious effect on the value of the Horses and how people who work with Horses make a living.

I've tried Venison, and I didn't really like the gamey flavor, but I don't really know if I'd have the stomach to eat Horse meat.

Deleted
    I dare to say some people are hell-bent on politizing meat while hiding their intentions to move all industrial responsibilities to the consumer.

Horse meat is actually very good meat. The only problem people have it is is based on regional culture. In Britain, for example, the society was extremely segmented and only wealthy people owned horse, which were far too useful and expensive to be simply grown as food. Thusly eating horse meat became deeply engraved in the society as and act of desperation from a ruined man driven to poverty, and holds a social stigma of contempt to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The scandal in Europe was rather about people buying beef or pork and getting horse. Horsemeat as such isn't bad. It is tasty and there are perfectly fine butcheries that sell it. It is also usually less contaminated with antibiotics and crap.

But we like to differ between "good" and "bad" animals to eat it seems. Eat the tuna, don't eat the dolphin. Save the whales, screw the salmon. Gets a bit dodgy on the level of small animals. Eat the goat and it is fine, but the lamb makes people queasy. rabbit is usually fine, but not for people who have one as a pet. Cats and dogs we Westerners shun...they are companions and we usually don't eat carnivores.

Calf...not everyone's cup of tea. Cow however....unless you live in India where they are holy and that makes 1 billion westerners barbarians in the eyes of the Indians. Different strokes for different folks.
    I've never tried goat but I have lamb quite often. In fact it's quite rare that we have mutton (adult sheep meat) in the UK (or at least in my part of it).

Their is still a lot of stigma around eating veal in this country, based on the crate way of raising calves which we were very much against, but it would actually be very beneficial to eat humanely raised veal as many calves are produced as a "by-product" of the dairy industry and slaughtered at birth.