Poll: Would you like Monster Power in game?

10+ Year Old Account

Monster Power in WoW

Hey everyone,

Sorry, lost initial post so this will be a bit quicker and to the point. I see a lot of threads about difficulty of leveling in WoW and the ease of it. I also see complaints about the world not being threatening enough anymore. I think we should implement Diablo 3's Monster Power system to help this problem for those who want to fix it. The beauty of the MP system is that it can create a more dangerous works but is entirely optional.

I think the MP system in WoW should take effect the moment you hit the mob, increasing the mobs damage/HP according to the set modifier. I also believe the MP modifier should affect the mob's abilities and drop rate to make it more enticing for those who use it.

An Example: Mob - Defias Pillager
    MP 1: Mob behaves exactly as it does now.
    MP 2-3: Mob has increased HP, damage and drop rate for set MP level.
    MP 4: Mob learns Blast Wave which knocks back enemies. Mob has increased HP, dmg and drop rate accordingly.
    MP 5-6: Mob has increased HP, damage and Drop rate for set MP level as well as maintaining MP 4's new abilities.
    MP 7: Mob learns Frost Nova and Blazing Speed. This allows mob to put more room between it and enemy. Increased HP, damage and drop rate accordingly. Frost nova would not hold for really long at this level.
    MP 8-9: Mob has increased HP, damage and drop rate as well as maintaining MP 7's new abilities.
    MP 10: Mob learns Living Bomb, Counterspell and Fireblast. This increases the burst of the mob as well as the ability to shut down casters. Counterspell would either have a short cast time or short lockout to not completely wreck casters. Increased HP, damage and drop rate accordingly.

I would love to see this in game and would love to what you think. With the additional change to people assisting you to kill a mob, this could make for quite a bit more exciting kills in the world.

I don't think there's a system in place to allow mobs to simply scale up the way they do in Diablo 3. Mobs, for the most part, also have a very limited amount of actions in combat. I don't think it would be worth the effort vs. reward to implement something like this, although it does sound cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    LFR, Normal and HC is basically Monster Power.. It's just 1-3, not 1-10....
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by brolother View Post
    I don't think there's a system in place to allow mobs to simply scale up the way they do in Diablo 3. Mobs, for the most part, also have a very limited amount of actions in combat..
    Yeah, no shit. That's why we're discussing it as a hypothetical.

It sounds even more stupid than it sounded in Diablo for me. Altho u have monster power in WoW, its called Raid Finder, Norma and Heroic.

Change the name because its corny but that would be a cool idea. Make them like mist of pandaria rare mobs who have one shots would be fun.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    It sounds even more stupid than it sounded in Diablo for me. Altho u have monster power in WoW, its called Raid Finder, Norma and Heroic.
    I agree that RF, Normal and Heroic is basically MP - I would like to bring that out to the world instead of it being instanced. It would be fantastic in heroics as well but it would be too difficult to tune loot accordingly.

I don't really care about the name MP but I really enjoy the idea for when I'm leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by brolother View Post
    I don't think there's a system in place to allow mobs to simply scale up the way they do in Diablo 3. Mobs, for the most part, also have a very limited amount of actions in combat. I don't think it would be worth the effort vs. reward to implement something like this, although it does sound cool.
    That's certainly not true at all. New rares scale HP up as each new player hits it.

OT: I'd say no, it doesn't work for a game like WoW in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I agree that RF, Normal and Heroic is basically MP - I would like to bring that out to the world instead of it being instanced. It would be fantastic in heroics as well but it would be too difficult to tune loot accordingly.

I don't really care about the name MP but I really enjoy the idea for when I'm leveling.
    This isn't really feasible in an MMO. I present to you a few alternatives of how to make monster power in the world work, but all of them have major problems:

1) Monster power is set by the player who tags a mob. This is dangerous to nearby players who are at lower MP, particularly if the increased MP levels add AoEs. Could be used for griefing.

2) Multiple players attacking the same mob will each see it behave according to their own MP. This might cause a bit of weirdness in that different players are seeing the mob do different things. More importantly, though, it could be exploited: have an MP 10 player tag the mob and an MP 1 player fight it; MP 10 player gets the bonus drop rate without having to deal with the increased difficulty.

3) Players can only see and interact with players and mobs at their own MP level. This solves all of the problems with 1) and 2) but will mean that there will be much fewer players out in the world for you to see -- I'd imagine probably about 40% each at MP1 and MP10 and almost nobody at the other levels. This will have a huge effect on PvP servers but even on PvE the reduced population from fragmenting the realm is not desirable.

In instanced content like raids and dungeons this isn't much of a problem, but we already have that: normal, heroic, and challenge dungeons; and RF, normal, and heroic raids.