Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Companies dealing in obsolete technologies shouldn't expect to be around forever.

Local radio survived because it is synonymous with locality and it's free.

Cable is not free, and 99% of it is not local. And gone are the days when everybody works 9-5, gets home, watches the 6 o'clock news, eats dinner from 6:30-7 and then starts watching prime time television. We want to watch it whenever the hell we want.

And even when you tune in via antenna to the local "farmervision" 99% of the programming is not local.

So it's coming time to cut the middle man (cable company) out of the equation. Most of them will survive because they double as internet and phone providers. It's then up to the advertisers and the content producers to quit whining and come up with an innovative way to handle this inevitable change.

There no good anime on T.V. so it useless for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I call bullshit on that claim.
    Too many people, by nature, are fucking freeloaders. The quality of the content therefore is rather irrelevant. The post you replied to mentioned Game of Thrones as an example. That is quality content. It is in fact the most illegally streamed TV show on Earth.
    Here is a top ten list of the most pirated TV shows:
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...ownload-trends
    You mean to tell me that a show only available via cable with no legal streaming options (the aforementioned "provide better service"), not to mention having an insane delay to some countries (Australians don't get to watch it until 6 months after it shows in the USA!), gets pirated a lot? Colour me utterly shocked.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    What do you guys think? Is television outdated?
    Yes... And highly so... I stopped watching TV, maybe three years ago? I don't see the point in letting someone else choose for you what you are going to watch, at what time, with loooooads of commercials in the way, when you could just watch whatever you want, whenever you want. It doesn't make sense to me how anyone could still be watching TV.

Even my parents, who I consider to be cavemen when it comes to technology, have started to watch movies/series of their choosing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Cable is not free, and 99% of it is not local. And gone are the days when everybody works 9-5, gets home, watches the 6 o'clock news, eats dinner from 6:30-7 and then starts watching prime time television. We want to watch it whenever the hell we want.
    Who works 9-5 anymore anyway? 8-5 is the order of the day around here, yet we earn less inflation-adjusted than we did in the 60s.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Who works 9-5 anymore anyway? 8-5 is the order of the day around here, yet we earn less inflation-adjusted than we did in the 60s.
    Red 5! Stay on target!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Red 5! Stay on target!
    Hmmmm? A Star Wars reference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm? A Star Wars reference?
    I got a bad feeling about this.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    I don't really watch TV that much but I have one propped up on a wall in front of my bed. I love just laying in bed and watching some Family Guy or Russel Howards Good News.

Yeah, the economy sucks compared to what the boomers grew up with. They love to brag "Kids are lazy these days, I moved out when I was 12, and owned 7 houses and boat by the time I was 13, and I never had a single cent of credit card debt." Food and housing have inflated at unimaginable rates since then. We get cheaper televisions, and cheaper clothes. Which is why "those kids with them thar fancy ipods" have them, and live at home now into their late 20s.

I moved out at 22, and the sad thing is, that was pretty good. I look at the next generation and weep for the fact that a house that costs 200,000 dollars now, will cost my niece a million dollars when she grows up.

EDIT: And rent will follow real estate prices, because a big percentage of rentals are people renting out their house/condo in order to pay its mortgage off.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cable was costing me $110 a month and I could never get them to bill me correctly (like getting magically signed up and billed for NFL Sunday Ticket even tho I don't watch/like/care about football) and then have their CS argue with me about canceling it ("are you trying to tell me you don't like football, c'mon, everyone has a team they like).

Finally just did away with it. I have Netflix for my daughter and Hulu for my wife, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what I was paying before.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they'd charged my $40/month for cable instead of $110, they might have been able to retain my business. If they'd let me pick and choose my channels and pay a pro-rated version of cable, they might have been able to retain my business. But I don't go in for this business model anymore of charging me as much as 11 visits to a movie theater each month for a little TV, forcing me to pay for not only the content I want, but the other 290 worthless channels.

hmm you know what this is perhaps true lol. I barely watch live television, I stream everything.

people still watch TV? The only time I turned on my TV was probably the Superbowl and for a silly Christmas movie. Couple friends even bought some TV that is made for online usage, you can watch any stream you want and browse at the same time. pretty solid stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    people still watch TV? The only time I turned on my TV was probably the Superbowl and for a silly Christmas movie. Couple friends even bought some TV that is made for online usage, you can watch any stream you want and browse at the same time. pretty solid stuff.
    I streamed the super bowl too.

I tried watching everything I want through Hulu and such for awhile. It got to be too big of a hassle for me, especially since i like a lot of CBS shows and Hulu doesn't carry CBS so I'd have to keep track of Hulu and CBS. It's much easier to just have cable and DVR and record what I want to watch and watch it at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    People forget that TV pays the bills. If TV broadcasting goes away we will lose a lot of quality programs, because they will be not financially justified.

This trend is already obvious when you look at Anime in the West. Japanese firms don't make enough money to create content that appeals to western audiences and the medium suffers. Too many people watch pirated series online (Game of Thrones comes to mind) and that hurts the business.

house of cards says hi...

10+ Year Old Account
    People forget that TV pays the bills. If TV broadcasting goes away we will lose a lot of quality programs, because they will be not financially justified.

This trend is already obvious when you look at Anime in the West. Japanese firms don't make enough money to create content that appeals to western audiences and the medium suffers. Too many people watch pirated series online (Game of Thrones comes to mind) and that hurts the business.
    House of Cards is an excellent Netflix produced series. If Cable TV goes away, the business model will change with it. Either more advertising will come to streaming services, or the streaming services will charge more or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Well, radio hasn't died out yet.. I doubt it's as big a deal. If anything, they just adapt.
    TV killed the radio stars.

So... Internet streaming services killed the TV... not as catchy >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many people watch pirated series online (Game of Thrones comes to mind) and that hurts the business.
    Oh, stow the bullshit. Even HBO says Game of Thrones piracy isn't hurting them.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/31/hbo-thrones-piracy/

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters