Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question The Future of Raiding: Changing 10m/25m into 5m/10m

There's been lots of opinion and speculation recently about the current state of raiding and the displeasure about the lack of 5 man content in exchange for Scenarios. With all of this discontent, would it make sense to reduce raids to 5m/10m instead of 10m/25m and instead of dungeons, simply tune scenarios and provide loot drops and hidden treasure chests? Are dungeons slowly becoming a thing of the past now that more 5 mans, and scenarios are taking the fight out doors?

Just my own curiosity.

*Please note: in no way am I asking for this to become a reality. This is not some crusade or lifelong dream. This is simply a hypothetical question to spark discussion about the topic. If your answer is simply "If you hate raiding, don't do it", please save your post as this is not a hatred thread about raiding, but more of a Marvel Comics style of "What If..." I have no issues with the current system, but as raiding seems to be dwindling toward 10m content, this just got me thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would stop raiding personally if it became a 5man thing.
    5man doesn't feel like a raid at all.

Keep it how the way it is.

Dungeons we're pretty dead itself.
    Waiting for que of 30mins just for a single run wasn't fun.

Scenarios are fast, and even fun.
    And the best thing is, the queue is instant or maximum of 30sec queue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

I wouldn't be a fan, I see the point though, 25 man is barely played compared to 10 man, sure LFR helps as an excuse to keep it alive, but regardless I still prefer the current model, 5 man raiding just wouldn't feel right at all. Degrading raids to becoming dungeons would be pretty lame, and deleting dungeons overall to make space for 5 man raids would also be extremely stupid as the raid content would be devoured instantly. A big no from me, would be too big of a change to the PvE model, the only thing in raiding that's been consistent is that it's always been a tier above dungeons, and let's keep it that way.

If there is going to be any sweeping changes in raid format, the most logical change would be a single 15-man format.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    The Future of Raiding: Changing 10m/25m into 15m/10m
    I believe you missed something.

I quit when they nerfed cataclysm heroics. So long as they keep heading in the wrong direction I won't be back... if they decide to go back to when World of Warcraft was a good game... THE best game period... I'll be back.

This thread being the wrong direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post
    I quit when they nerfed cataclysm heroics. So long as they keep heading in the wrong direction I won't be back... if they decide to go back to when World of Warcraft was a good game... THE best game period... I'll be back.

This thread being the wrong direction.
    That's an Opinion.

WoW is still a great game in my opinion. The best game

I say break the mulitple of 5 rule and do a 17 man raid and just split the difference. I also thing they should bring back 40 man tuning for LFR. If you are going to have a insanely easy-ish raid than open it to 40 people to cut the queue times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    This makes no sense at all. Why would you go from 10/25 to 5/10?
    You could use any two numbers really. 8/15 10/20 10/15 etc. It was mostly just the mention of 25m content being on the decline and downsizing the raid group sizes to encourage more heroic interaction.

bring back 20/40 and 10 mans!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    If there is going to be any sweeping changes in raid format, the most logical change would be a single 15-man format.
    I could see that. Make it all 15m content, but tune raids like dungeons where it is either 15m reg or 15m heroic. Interesting observation.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I foresee this coming either in 6.0 or 7.0. The writing has been all over the wall for MoP.

*Blizz said they would release no new dungeons for MoP, instead going for Scenarios. When asked why, they said that Dungeons compete with Raids, scenarios don't.

*Blizz has said time and again that 25-man raiding is on shaky footing. If Thunderforged failed to boost 25-man numbers, they may have to try more dramatic things in the future.

*25-mans continue to dwindle into nothingness.

A 5/10-man split would also alleviate the big problem with removing 25-man. "You can't split a 25-man guild into two 10-mans." Well then they can make 2 10-man groups and a 5-man group.

In NO WAY do I want this to happen. But the writing is clearly there, and Blizz has shown time and again they are willing to piss on the game's winning formula (the Wrath formula) in favor of making an overglorified MMOFPS.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

It's not a raid if it's a 5 man. Then it's a 5 man.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

This wouldn't work,
    You raise a valid point for thinking of it, but you have to realise the lack of what blizz could possibly do with 5 man. If you go 5 man it quickly boils down to 1 tank and 1 healer. This means no more twin bosses mechanics, no perfectly timed tank swaps, no chaining healing cooldowns. It would reduce most fights to tank and spank with minimum communication needed between the players.

And since you got 5 man and 10 man, you can't change it too much for 10 man. Perhaps a second healer and perhaps, just perhaps, a second tank. It would corner blizz in what kind of things they can do.

I for one actually would love blizz to see a 25 man only (or perhaps even more?) player raid. A short raid, by no means truely needed for progression. But with that they can force people into a more unique comp. For example 5 tanks (since it has 5 bosses at once! :O) or perhaps 10 healers (think of tsulong day phase, whole fight. Tanks can't aggro anything, only thing that builds threat is healing. So dpsers have to focus things down so the healers can heal the boss up). Things like that could really help the 25 raiding scene. And perhaps stimulate a few guilds to try and go 25.

Rather have that then it going to 5m/10m.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    bring back 20/40 and 10 mans!
    Not sure that 40 man raiding could find a home in today's community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Not sure that 40 man raiding could find a home in today's community.

man i really wanna see 40man raids coming back, especially when servers have 31 lvl 90's online at peak hours.GIMME!

5 man is a dungeon don't matter how you cut it the content would be hardly epic 10 man is already a joke imo as far as raiding goes

5mans are boring, so no, I -realllly- hope this never happens.

basically all it will be is a very long heroic dungeon, probably tuned like Cata heroics, and people will simply whine and complain until the end of time about it, or at least until the end of WoW. the fun thing about a raid is being in vent, coordinating with friends, and talking to them. making it a group social event. with 5 people it's just not the same, yeah it can be cool, but putting everything on one healer, one tank, or 3 dps simply isn't as fun. 25m raids are more fun than 10m I think, but they're just so few of them because 10m is easier to get people for. however, there are still a -lot- of people who run 25m, enough to keep them going.

Honestly I'm down for 5 man raiding. Hell give me a story mode with single man raiding and that would make my day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    5 man is a dungeon don't matter how you cut it the content would be hardly epic 10 man is already a joke imo as far as raiding goes
    10 man isn't at all.