Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Okay, well I thought of something sensible.

    Buy an HD 7970 to upgrade to (so no crossfire), keep current mobo and CPU (and HDD and RAM), buy a new case, and buy a new SSD.

    This way I can buy a new mobo with the new socket and a new CPU later on when I have money again.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 09:25 AM ----------

    Something I want to ask though:

    How much better will Haswell be?
    Last edited by coolkingler1; 2013-04-12 at 09:02 AM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    How much better will Haswell be?
    Initial numbers say not much.... You'll gain maybe 10-20% over i5-2500k at same clockspeed (but base speeds are higher on Haswells so the real gain is slightly higher). Whole another question is how overclockable it is compared to SB/IB processors which is something unknown at the moment.

    Either way buying new motherboard now is bad idea because the new socket boards are out very soon and the SSD/graphics card you're planning is good use of money.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Initial numbers say not much.... You'll gain maybe 10-20% over i5-2500k at same clockspeed (but base speeds are higher on Haswells so the real gain is slightly higher). Whole another question is how overclockable it is compared to SB/IB processors which is something unknown at the moment.

    Either way buying new motherboard now is bad idea because the new socket boards are out very soon and the SSD/graphics card you're planning is good use of money.
    Oh well okay. Thank you.

    But if I wanted to say buy an IB+mobo now and overclock it, how much years would that last me?

    Just interested really, it's still an option.

    Seeing as how WoW is mostly CPU intensive, I could upgrade and overclock, keeping the current GPU.

    Can get a i5 3570K for 218 euro at the vendor I plan to buy at.

    Also this may be a stupid question but:

    Say you have 2 SSD,s one 120GB, the other 250GB. Will the 250GB be slower by a marginal amount? (somehow I have this gut feeling that SDD,s are slower when they can contain more) Because if not, I might as well go for 250GB.
    Last edited by coolkingler1; 2013-04-12 at 10:17 AM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    But if I wanted to say buy an IB+mobo now and overclock it, how much years would that last me?

    Can get a i5 3570K for 218 euro at the vendor I plan to buy at.
    Just as long as keeping your current i5-2500k and getting overclockable motherboard to go with that. Why I personally think it's bad idea is because socket 1155 is dead at this point in time. There will never be another CPU upgrade for it because it's going to be replaced by socket 1150 in less than two months.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Say you have 2 SSD,s one 120GB, the other 250GB. Will the 250GB be slower by a marginal amount? (somehow I have this gut feeling that SDD,s are slower when they can contain more) Because if not, I might as well go for 250GB.
    It's actually other way around. Bigger SSDs are faster up to a certain point. There is significant speed difference between 60 and 120 GB models. Depending on manufacturer 120 or 250 GB is the point where the speed is capped. Reason for this is because SSD drives use internally technology similar to RAID0'ing HDDs. Bigger discs have more RAM chips running in parallel which means higher throughput overall.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Just as long as keeping your current i5-2500k and getting overclockable motherboard to go with that. Why I personally think it's bad idea is because socket 1155 is dead at this point in time. There will never be another CPU upgrade for it because it's going to be replaced by socket 1150 in less than two months.



    It's actually other way around. Bigger SSDs are faster up to a certain point. There is significant speed difference between 60 and 120 GB models. Depending on manufacturer 120 or 250 GB is the point where the speed is capped. Reason for this is because SSD drives use internally technology similar to RAID0'ing HDDs. Bigger discs have more RAM chips running in parallel which means higher throughput overall.
    Thing is, I don't have a K, just a normal 2500.

    Oh and thanks for the SSD answer.

    Also, could I overclock it with this board? : http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...20Performance/
    Last edited by coolkingler1; 2013-04-12 at 10:44 AM.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Okay, well I thought of something sensible.

    Buy an HD 7970 to upgrade to (so no crossfire), keep current mobo and CPU (and HDD and RAM), buy a new case, and buy a new SSD.

    This way I can buy a new mobo with the new socket and a new CPU later on when I have money again.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 09:25 AM ----------

    Something I want to ask though:

    How much better will Haswell be?
    On a single monitor 1080p setup you will see little to no difference between your 7870 and a new 7970.

    Haswell will be better, but by how much is not really known until it comes out. The real advantage of waiting though is that it's a new socket, so you can buy a good MoBo and it will last the life of the socket.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 08:33 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    But if I wanted to say buy an IB+mobo now and overclock it, how much years would that last me?
    That's really a difficult question to answer, as it depends on a lot of unknown factors. We cannot see the future you know. However, I would estimate somewhere between 4-6 years. If you wait just 2-4 months for Haswell though, that will stronger and last maybe an additional year or 2, plus when it's time to upgrade, you won't need to buy a new MoBo.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  7. #27
    Okay well I am was being stubborn and I also knew in 2 months that 700 would be gone to something else.

    Bought a new mobo, an IB i5 an SSD and a case.

    Hopefully overclocking isn't too hard, looked up some guides.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •