Off-Specc Loot Specialization - Using Mage for the Lulz

(This is just a lulz post)

Taken from http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9447311/

In the upcoming patch 5.3, we’re adding a new “Loot Specialization” option that will give you more control over the loot drops and quest rewards you receive that are based on your class specialization (spec). This includes items obtained through bonus rolls, Raid Finder loot, the Heroic Scenarios coming in patch 5.3, and Mists of Pandaria quests. This new option will allow you to, for example, enter into Raid Finder as a Protection Paladin, but receive loot appropriate for a Holy Paladin.

To change your spec-specific drops, you’ll right-click your character portrait, and select the “Loot Specialization” menu option. The “Default” setting refers to your current spec, and you’ll have the option to choose from any available class specs (e.g. Frost, Fire, or Arcane). This option can be changed at any time you’re able to swap specs, which generally means while out of combat, allowing you to change which spec’s gear you’ll get from each boss within a single raid. Need those healing bracers from Tortos but that DPS off-hand from Megaera? No problem!

Can someone please tell me why not only was today's blog post using Mage as an example, but as did all the previous pictures and whatnot when NOT A SINGLE CHANGE for us is coming from this? They could have at least used Rogue since only Combat will get non-dagger weapons...
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is kind of silly. It seems to me that the system is intended more for those classes whose specializations require completely different gear (e.g., boomkin vs. feral druid).

Unless Blizz is somehow categorizing cloth caster gear? Say... preference for anything with haste for frost, mastery for arcane, and crit for fire? That would be too restrictive, though. They may also assume similar differentiation for fury/arms warriors and other classes that use similar stats between specializations.

<Tinfoil hat>Clearly Blizzard is intending to turn Arcane into a viable healer in the next expansion, hence why mages should be able to roll for loot as Arcane! </tinfoil hat>

Methinks someone at Blizzard's side just grabbed the nearest class and didn't think this too deeply. Which is probably an example we should follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Methinks someone at Blizzard's side just grabbed the nearest class and didn't think this too deeply. Which is probably an example we should follow.
    In all seriousness, I'm actually a bit offended by them just "picking a class". They should have been smart enough not to pick a class that is 100% unaffected by this, unless, we'll actually get to blacklist some pieces we don't want (e.g., Mastery pieces for non-Arcane). That's like saying "HEY MAGES, LOOK AT THIS FEATURE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY!" in addition to now spreading a rumor that it may actually affect us, as I've gotten a few people asking me if it will.

But let's be honest. We all know it won't affect us at all.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Well, if you look into the Dungeon Guide, you can actually filter gear by specialization (i.e., Fire, Frost, Arcane). Don't think there's any difference in Loot now, but maybe they're planning to filter gear in the future. So Fire will prioritize crit gear, Frost, haste. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm actually a bit offended by them just "picking a class". They should have been smart enough not to pick a class that is 100% unaffected by this, unless, we'll actually get to blacklist some pieces we don't want (e.g., Mastery pieces for non-Arcane). That's like saying "HEY MAGES, LOOK AT THIS FEATURE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY!" in addition to now spreading a rumor that it may actually affect us, as I've gotten a few people asking me if it will.

But let's be honest. We all know it won't affect us at all.
    I want mastery as frost.