Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flammen View Post
    Hey Guys and girls

So ive started working out going gym 4-6 times a week depending on Work etc, ive got a meal plan set aswell so that i have proper food 6 times a day. the only thing i can´t seem to get rid off out of all the unheathly stuff is my 1-3 Cans of Coca cola zero each day.

So my question: Is Coca cola zero bad for trying to Loose weight and get into shape???

Im now only talking about the zero for itself. I dont want to hear all this about as:
    "Diet soda contains aspartame which is a chemical the body breaksdown into furmaldehyde (embalming fluid)! It has 92 known side effects including brain lesions. I would avoid it all costs. Also it makes you crave (real) sugar which makes you binge on sweets and high carb foods"

Cola zero never gives me needed craving´s for other stuff since i normally just drink it while im playing and dont feel like eating anything unhealthy.

Ive tried googling but almost every post i see is that people tell about the zero will give you craving for food which will then result in you eating more and thereby putting on weight that way.

Thank you and sorry for the hate on people that talk about aspartame which is true just not in my case.
    here's the bottom line. is soda good for you? no. is 0 calorie soda good for you ? no.

but while some people can quit things cold turkey and never look back the majority of people cant. which is often why their diets/healthy living fail

depending on your weight already the reduction of calories can help reduce your weight to make working out a bit easier. and given the side effects of caffine withdrawl i recomend not cutting soda out completly to begin with since the massive headaces will send you right back to it in most cases.

the key is moderation. 1 a day, dont cut out things you love completly because in most cases you'll end up giving in to temptation and going overboard. i love pasta. i also happen to have an issue with carbs. while i havent given up pasta, i've managed to drasticly cut it back and have lost about 50 pounds are a result, and i still enjoy a nice plate of speghetti every now and then.

find a balance that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    Another assuming and dismissive attitude.

I've known many skinny people who quite enjoy soda, as well as rigorous exercise. They are not mutually exclusive, as much as it seems people are trying to make it.

Most things are ok, in MODERATION. That is the key. Self-discipline and attention to the big picture. You can have confectionaries and sodas, and fried foods, etc as long as you know how to limit yourself ... once a week/month ... or know that you need to do a bit extra all week to afford that special treat.

Net deficit on calories in vs calories out is the only true way to lose weight. Cardio is good for you heart and lungs. Toning workouts is great for your muscles. But if you gorge on so-called healthful foods, you'll still gain weight and be unhappy. Getting the proper nutrients in your daily intake and making sure you burn off equal or more than you put in; you will get to/maintain the weight you want. To get the '6-pack' abs, you have to work that section of your body appropriately. No miracles, no tricks. Eat in moderation and properly, exercise intelligently ... and you will have the body you want, while eating most of what you want, just not as often or as much as you crave.
    This is all good and stuff. But really why drink it at all. Why not just give it up and stick to water. What is so wrong with water? There are many waters to choose from.
    gw2 is a great game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beanz View Post
    Healthy people do not drink soda or diet soda. Being healthy is not just about diet or exercise it is way of life. I have not drunk soda is about 10 years. After I learned of all the sugar it just seems like a bad idea. I could go on for hours about how I hate soda but that is for a different thread. The problem with diet soda is that it is unhealthy. It is a chemical cocktail made to substitute something you should have never been drinking in the first place. The only people I know of that drink diet soda are fat people, people on diets, and bulimics. Healthy skinny beautiful people do not drink diet soda. Soda, diet soda, and processed food are all the same. These items are not food or drink. These items are a "food/drink like product." Do not think of quitting diet soda as you are missing out on something. Drinking diet soda is not something you should have been doing in the first place. When you quit diet soda you are quitting the habits of a fat person and returning to the natural thing of drinking water.
    Here I was, happily lurking the forums when I came across this comment. Is this a joke? You made me log in just so I could respond to this abomination of sentences and ridiculousness. Fat people, people on diets and bulimics. Basically diet soda seems to stand for everything you dislike in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    The whole aspartame craze is retarded.
    While it hasn't been scientifically or directly linked to all the causes, it has been shown in some studies to cause brain damage, or Alzheimer's in people who consume it on a regular basis.

Personally, I don't drink Coke, but when I do have the odd glass, I wouldn't ever touch the Diet / Zero stuff. The taste is foul, and the chemicals used to replace the Sugar are just as bad as the sugar intake.

I don't mean to lecture the OP, but if you're going to the Gym, try to just drink water when you get these cravings. Eventually, you'll no longer crave the Coke, and the water will do wonders for your body. Your body continues to feel the effects of exercise long after you're finished, it is still burning fat, and using sources of energy and water to restabalise itself. Starving it of the much needed water is only going to slow your training down.

A lot of people need to realize that correlation doesn't imply causation; look at your empirical evidence before you reach conclusions: "Drinking diet soda does not make one fat, but people with obesity tend to drink diet soda."

Water vs. Diet Soda:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22301929

Mean (±SEM) weight losses at 6 mo were -2.5 ± 0.45% in the DB group, -2.03 ± 0.40% in the Water group, and -1.76 ± 0.35% in the AC group; there were no significant differences between groups.
    Correlation doesn't imply causation:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15111986
    Dietary factors that degrade the relationship between sweet tastes, food viscosity and calories may contribute to overeating and weight gain.
    Sucrose-sweetened causing fat gain:
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22205311

Total fat mass was not significantly different between the 4 beverage groups. Milk and diet cola reduced systolic blood pressure by 10-15% compared with regular cola (P < 0.05). Otherwise, diet cola had effects similar to those of water.
    Have a good day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of the fittest persons in the world drink Diet soda. It contains equal to no calories and for some makes the sugar cravings go away. For others it might make you more hungry. But as long as you stick to your meal plan you can drink as much diet soda you want.

Want to point out that diet soda will make you swell abit. So dont right before progress pictures and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    Here I was, happily lurking the forums when I came across this comment. Is this a joke? You made me log in just so I could respond to this abomination of sentences and ridiculousness. Fat people, people on diets and bulimics. Basically diet soda seems to stand for everything you dislike in this world.
    I am 100% serious. I hate soda with a passion and could go on for hours about how it is basically poison. Diet soda is like diet poison.
    gw2 is a great game

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    The taste is foul, and the chemicals used to replace the Sugar are just as bad as the sugar intake.
    Except for the calories, of which those chemicals have under 1% of sugar. And weight loss starts and ends with calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Some of the fittest persons in the world drink Diet soda.
    No they do not. The fittest people in the world do not even eat non organic food. You think they will willing swallow the chemical syrup know as diet soda. You could not be one of the fittest people in the world and drink diet soda because it is not healthy. The movement against soda/processed foods is huge.
    Last edited by beanz; 2013-04-11 at 01:20 PM.
    gw2 is a great game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    While it hasn't been scientifically or directly linked to all the causes, it has been shown in some studies to cause brain damage, or Alzheimer's in people who consume it on a regular basis.

Personally, I don't drink Coke, but when I do have the odd glass, I wouldn't ever touch the Diet / Zero stuff. The taste is foul, and the chemicals used to replace the Sugar are just as bad as the sugar intake.

I don't mean to lecture the OP, but if you're going to the Gym, try to just drink water when you get these cravings. Eventually, you'll no longer crave the Coke, and the water will do wonders for your body. Your body continues to feel the effects of exercise long after you're finished, it is still burning fat, and using sources of energy and water to restabalise itself. Starving it of the much needed water is only going to slow your training down.
    You do realize that the majority of what is in a Coke zero is ...... water !

Not saying that you are inherently wrong in what you say but drinking 3 cans of coke zero a day will absolutely not affect your diet as the calorie-intake is close to none-existent. Indeed it can make sticking to a diet easier as you can see the intake of a coke zero as a reward and something to enjoy while keeping to your strict diet.

Aspartam ? Sure it can cause issues but you can't eat or drink an amount of it that does any harm no matter how hard you try.

As a wise person said earlier in this thread ... calories in vs. calories out is what will make you lose weight. Nothing else. Period. (Assuming you are otherwise healthy) and a can of coke zero = 0 calories. I think the only reason they list it as containing calories is to avoid law-suits.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No they do not. The fittest people in the world do not even eat non organic food. You think they will willing swallow the chemical syrup know as diet soda. You could not be one of the fittest people in the world and drink diet soda because it is not healthy. The movement against soda/processed foods is huge.
    I think you have some wrong information about what makes someone fit or healthy. There are plenty of very healthy people who eat non organic food and drink diet soda, or even regular soda (Though I wouldn't recommend the latter.) on occasion. There are plenty of very healthy people who do unhealthy things in moderation. Plenty of athletes and Olympians eat like pigs, would you say they're not healthy/fit?

I just want to throw this in. People keep talking about their cravings for soda. You crave it because it has caffeine and you are addicted to it.
    gw2 is a great game

There has been absolutely no science behind the organic food craze. People who eat organic food are not healthier than those who don't (interestingly, studies show people who eat organic tend to be less moral than people who eat "unhealthy" foods). As for diet soda being unhealthy? Really? You have to be trolling. Are you from portland? I have only heard this ignorant crap from people who live there (like my sister).

Fit and health is not an objective thing. It is subjective. I think people who only eat organic food and who only drink water and tea are unfit. Why? Because they obsess about health to the degree of it being unhealthy. And they do not bother to understand that organic foods use pesticides that are far more lethal than inorganic foods.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-04-11 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Actually it is a bit more complex than that. But it seems once sth gets repeated enough, people believe it. I wouldn't say it starts and ends with blood sugar levels, but it gets you closer to the point. If calories are the be all and end all, then you could live happily on 100 grams of butter and 100 grams of sugar a day. Which I doubt you can.
    I submit that it is in fact you (and a lot of other commenters on this thread) who are conflating "eating/being healthy" with "losing weight". I'm not making any health claims.

As long as you keep track of your calorie intake, no, diet sodas won't make losing weight more difficult. However, if you're terrible at controlling your sugar cravings, it's best to quit cold turkey. If you have the willpower to resist, it won't affect your weight loss.

I just want to throw this in. People keep talking about their cravings for soda. You crave it because it has caffeine and you are addicted to it.
    I drink unhealthy amounts of coffee per day and still drink cola too, so there goes your theory. Frankly just thinking about drinking coffee instead when I want an ice cold glass of cola almost makes me puke.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I think you have some wrong information about what makes someone fit or healthy. There are plenty of very healthy people who eat non organic food and drink diet soda, or even regular soda (Though I wouldn't recommend the latter.) on occasion. There are plenty of very healthy people who do unhealthy things in moderation. Plenty of athletes and Olympians eat like pigs, would you say they're not healthy/fit?
    They are not some of the healthiest people in the world that is for sure. Athletes and Olympians do have to eat a lot. It is recommended to have some simple carbs after a big work out. But that athletic prowess does not mean they are the picture of perfect health. They may be the picture of perfect beauty. But the fact many athletes end up with related injury's disqualify them from the competition of the fittest person in the world.
    gw2 is a great game

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    As long as you keep track of your calorie intake, no, diet sodas won't make losing weight more difficult. However, if you're terrible at controlling your sugar cravings, it's best to quit cold turkey. If you have the willpower to resist, it won't affect your weight loss.
    But the exact point of diet sodas is that they have close to zero impact on you calorie intake.

They are not some of the healthiest people in the world that is for sure. Athletes and Olympians do have to eat a lot. It is recommended to have some simple carbs after a big work out. But that athletic prowess does not mean they are the picture of perfect health. They may be the picture of perfect beauty. But the fact many athletes end up with related injury's disqualify them from the competition of the fittest person in the world.
    *rolls eyes*

Stop feeding this troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    I drink unhealthy amounts of coffee per day and still drink cola too, so there goes your theory. Frankly just thinking about drinking coffee instead when I want an ice cold glass of cola almost makes me puke.
    Caffeine is still addictive.
    gw2 is a great game