Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I tough this to, when reading the thread. I bike for average 10 minutes to get the train station inn my every day atm, . Are subburan/rural area's that much worser inn USA? I woulden't know really. I find it doable to just bike most distances I need to go. I think its just an american culture thing, aka being lazy.
    I think it's just a *Insertwhereyouarefrom* culture thing, aka being ignorant twats. There are townships in NY state that would take over an hour to cross on bike. You want to send your five year olds out into the wilderness to find their school?

Seems more bothersome that they force people to wear seatbelts in their own cars, yet can't spare the cash to even put them in their own buses. Seems a bit hypocritical. But really, considering how shit school budgets are in this country, I doubt they'll even give it a second glance.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I think it's just a *Insertwhereyouarefrom* culture thing, aka being ignorant twats. There are townships in NY state that would take over an hour to cross on bike. You want to send your five year olds out into the wilderness to find their school?
    We'll then I'm again happy to live inn a country like Denmark. Rich bike culture here, even inn big cities.

I do agree that minor's should ride alone on trafficated roads. I was just thinking tween's to my age like 20.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    We'll then I'm again happy to live inn a country like Denmark. Rich bike culture here, even inn big cities.

I do agree that minor's should ride alone on trafficated roads. I was just thinking tween's to my age like 20.
    It has nothing to do with being a rich bike culture are not, it's distances needed to travel.

It has nothing to do with being a rich bike culture are not, it's distances needed to travel.
    Obv, but 1-10km on a bike is kinda easy for kids over 9years.

Thought it was a joke thread first, never seen a bus w/o seatbelts. <Sweden though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post

Thought it was a joke thread first, never seen a bus w/o seatbelts. <Sweden though.
    So you're fine with a 10 year old on a bike riding 10km to and from school? Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Mandatory seat belts simple. the last we need is projectiles of unrestrained passengers in the case of an accident

No the school buses size alone is enough to keep them safe it's like a tank rolling through the suburbs. Also honestly if for some reason the buss gets damaged enough to where kids lives are in danger they are already dead. Only thing seat belts would do it make it easier to locate the legs then.

So you're fine with a 10 year old on a bike riding 10km to and from school? Seems kind of ridiculous to me.
    Seen it happen for few years, yeah im fine with it.

Seen it happen for few years, yeah im fine with it.
    I'm not. Most roadways in the US are simply not designed to accommodate bikes. I wouldn't want my child on on a bike, in traffic, on a busy four lane street.

There are a lot of things like this where Europeans just assume we are lazy. It's not our laziness, it's your ignorance of just how expansive most places in the US truly are.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account

Sure it's easy...but the issue is should an unattended minor be covering those distances ALONE?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sure it's easy...but the issue is should an unattended minor be covering those distances ALONE?
    Alone, in possible shitty weather, possibly in the dark, on roads not meant for high volumes of cyclists. Seems reckless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I'm not. Most roadways in the US are simply not designed to accommodate bikes. I wouldn't want my child on on a bike, in traffic, on a busy four lane street.

There are a lot of things like this where Europeans just assume we are lazy. It's not our laziness, it's your ignorance of just how expansive most places in the US truly are.
    Also refusing to put money into infrastructure for dedicated bike lanes, but that's another story.

I'm 50/50. On the one hand, it really has no statistical benefit because as others have said the size of the bus tends to compensate for seatbelts as regards safety. On the other, making it mandatory could be a good method of indoctrination to create the habit of putting a seatbelt on in a moving vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to ride 10 km all the time at the age of 9.

My school, which I also rode to every day, was only about 5 km away though. I walked to school every day from age 5 to age 8 or so, always with a friend or two, and that school was only about 2 km away, then I started riding my bike.

I also lived in one of the safest cities in the US, though, San Jose. I wouldn't want a kid to do this in South Chicago.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-04-11 at 11:48 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Call me when you have a foot of snow on the ground in your damn warm weather! lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Uphill in the snow both ways?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Our buses had seatbelts but we didnt have to wear them, because there is no way to enforce it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our busses have seatbelts and have had for a long time. I live in Sweden.
    As kids ,we almost always wore seatbelts on the buss. Usually we knew the drivers and they'd often ask us to put the belts on before they started driving.

I never really understood why buses don't have seatbelts. Except for the driver. I guess they don't usually move very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because punishment works for any of the other stupid shit kids do, especially in this day and age when you can't say no to a child without their parents throwing a bitch fit.
    My mother is a teacher, she'll say no to a child and then come home complaining about the backlash from the parents.

It's ridiculous. Kids are running households because parent's can see that their little angel might not be that angelic.
    Putin khuliyo