Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    ...Thats exactly what race is...its based on appearance.

You're tying to turn it into something its not.
    Race is compromised of many factors. I'm not sure if by appearance you simply mean skin color. There are people of varying skin tones throughout the world who do not necessarily belong to identical classifications even though they share similar pigment ranges.

Very simple examples are the invalid use of Caucasian when the stereotypical members of the grouping can range into the color spectrum traditionally thought of when viewing Arabic and Indian. In fact quite a few individuals that fall genetically as Arabic and Indian can range light enough to be considered traditional Caucasian skin tones.

I think it's more important for people to identify with the cultural ques they respond to rather then the skin tone they subscribe to as that can give the outside observer a better foundation to make a judgement of their personality. White people do not always wear monocles and talk down to people, but more often then not if you meet a person in a tuxedo, monocle and cane he probably wants you to think he has money.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would assume it became a thing with the white man started raping african slaves.

but now that we're not all divided by oceans, mountains or deserts we're more "mixed" than ever. So, yes, biracial is more of a thing now than it ever has.

Some time in the past 10yrs I think it was time magazine that did a cover called something along the lines of "the future of the human race" and it was a face drawn from the facial images of 100's of random people from all over the world because its theorized that we'll one day all be blended into a single "race." (finally)

(the image looked like someone from the Philippines)
    Last edited by Paladin885; 2013-04-12 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't call them half-breeds anymore ?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    We don't call them half-breeds anymore ?
    Lol I grew up considering myself Puerto Rican decent, then discovered later in life my ancestry had Italian, Native American and Arabic. People have been doing the horizontal shuffle with whatever they found pretty for 100s of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Except, I'm not.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...english/racism

Racism:
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Assuming that because someone has certain physical features characteristic of a particular race, that they are then of that race, is racism.

Would you assume someone with a large nose and dark curly hair was Jewish? Or that someone with slanted eyes was Chinese?

No, and you'd be chastised for saying so if you did.

That's my problem with this whole thing, is that the usage is twisted and applied differently in certain situations. It's okay to be called a certain race when it suits you, but not when it doesn't. I don't like the double standards and hypocrisy, and I'd like to see all of it stripped away, and everyone just called "American."
    I don't think that definition is interpreted the way you think it is...

Saying someone is black because they have dark skin is not the same as stereotyping. Racism is only involved when you inferior certain things because of someones races. No one is doing that.

And "American"
    Last edited by PACOX; 2013-04-12 at 09:14 PM.

I know America has a history of.. well, seperation based on races - but I'll never understand why race is such a deal today. I don't even notice what "race" someone is, let alone make a point of caring where someone's parents came from. Is it impossible, culturally, to get over this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotus View Post
    Race is compromised of many factors. I'm not sure if by appearance you simply mean skin color. There are people of varying skin tones throughout the world who do not necessarily belong to identical classifications even though they share similar pigment ranges.

Very simple examples are the invalid use of Caucasian when the stereotypical members of the grouping can range into the color spectrum traditionally thought of when viewing Arabic and Indian. In fact quite a few individuals that fall genetically as Arabic and Indian can range light enough to be considered traditional Caucasian skin tones.

I think it's more important for people to identify with the cultural ques they respond to rather then the skin tone they subscribe to as that can give the outside observer a better foundation to make a judgement of their personality. White people do not always wear monocles and talk down to people, but more often then not if you meet a person in a tuxedo, monocle and cane he probably wants you to think he has money.
    You're talking about ethnicity.

I use the regular words, Black, white, asian, hispanic, and mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I use the regular words, Black, white, asian, hispanic, and mixed.
    That's racist.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Not at all racist. I think going out of your way to define people in new terms is racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That's racist.
    Explain how that is racist, assuming you aren't being sarcastic and it went right over my head. Forms that ask questions like "How would you describe yourself?" use those terms.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i am bipedal, just hoping nobody notices, i dont know that i could handle the hate
    two feet, two feet!