Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Some ideas to bring back interest and pride to the Alliance

    Humans: Continue developing Jaina, Varian, and Anduin. This is very open ended. Next expansion, I imagine we might see Alleria and Turalyon, making things even more interesting. I think it's also long overdue that Danath Trollbane returned to Stromgarde and Arathi Highlands.

    Regardless, Varian Wrynn should be the one to conquer the Sha of Pride, kill Garrosh Hellscream, and bring an end to the expansion for both factions. The humans in general need to be playing a massive role in this battle along with the Darkspear rebellion. And how poetic would it be if Varian Wrynn was the one to speak for peace between the Alliance and Horde in the end after the battle is over, just before tensions arise and Alliance and Darkspear Rebellion begin killing eachother?

    Dwarves: If the latest scenario is, infact, dispelling all of the political tension (or even just most of it), it's about time we did some changes: Wildhammer and Dark Iron especially need to be more prominent in the Alliance, if they are infact part of the Alliance. And I don't just mean as NPCs -- though that's very important. I think that actual dark iron and wildhammer skins need to be available as options for dwarves. No special racials, just options to choose them. The ideal time to do this is during the model update.

    More importantly, we need a new focus for the dwarves. Either have them find clues and hints leading to a way they might bring back Magni and start working towards that and/or have them begin talking about having a King of the dwarves once more, one that is not of any of the three clans -- but of Anvilmar, the ancient line. We have one -- Thargas Anvilmar -- that has not done anything in a while that deserves attention. He has the potential to be the lost King of the Dwarves, but it would need to be built up to.

    Gnomes: Gnomes haven't done anything significant in a while, and it's high time that changed. The first massive thing that needs to be addressed -- GNOMES ARE NOT JUST MECHANICS AND ENGINEERS. They are extremely skilled pilots and marksmen, and it's time for that to start being seen. The majority of gyrocopter pilots should NOT be humans, night elves, or even dwarves, but GNOMES. If I had my way, the gnomes would be the captain/admiral of the flying airship in Pandaria as well, and certainly for the submarine in Vashj'ir (though it's a bit late for that now).

    They need some more impressive technology as well. Chickens and zappers are fun and good for the comic relief (that is a gnomes job), but it's time for them to show their impressive talents as well. In addition to the above, we need to see far more mekgineers and tinkers in general showing off their impressive talents on the battlefields.

    Gnomes also could use a more interesting leader. Right in front of (maybe even behind with this expansion) Lor'themar Theron, their faction leader is surely the least known of the faction leaders. However there's something interesting about the gnome racial leader -- he is elected. Think about the potential that arises from this. You could allow us, the players (gnomes only), the ability to vote for a new faction leader or allow Mekkatorque to continue his term. You could let US choose the direction of the gnomish race, and adjust accordingly. How deep this goes is up to you.

    Frankly, if you did this, these are my suggestions: Kelsey Steelspark, the incredibly cunning and talented gnome rogue you meet in Tanaris, Gelbin Mekkatorque, the gnome we all know and love, and a brand new candidate, ideally a male mage or warlock, perhaps with a different approach than the others, possibly more. Even several more. During the period of an event or patch (pre-expansion event?), the gnomes of level 20 or higher (gnomes only, again) on all servers would cast votes on who they wanted. This could be incredibly deep and would potentially incite intense discussions and give gnomes a great deal of interest and pride for the first time in a long time.

    And lastly, it's damn-well time for the gnomes to take back Gnomeregan and/or kill off Thermaplugg once and for all. If you want to keep the awful instance almost everyone hates, at least allow the gnomes to kill off Thermaplugg, and leave the terrible place and start thinking about building a new city.

    And perhaps most importantly of all, it's time for gnomes to be more than just puns to bad jokes. I'm not asking for a deep amount of respect and pride be applied to gnomes -- comic relief is their specialty. But it's time for us to laugh at their antics and nature instead of making them the pun of every bad joke or insult. It's gotten so bad it's almost embarrassing to play one. That's not right.

    I am aware this is a big list for gnomes, but it's damn well LONG overdue. Trolls have been in the spotlight (or at least playing very significant roles) for quite a few expansions, gnomes deserve to stand and be noticed, and for players to be proud of their race for the first time in literally years.

    Night Elves: What made the night elves so significant and loved in Warcraft 3 (besides the fact that ... certain people were getting excited about an elven bikini warrior race) was their sheer savagery and ferocity. They made for such an interesting and diverse choice in World of Warcraft for the Alliance, yet as time passed (or really, did it even take any at all?) they quickly became tame tree-huggers. Just look at Ashenvale. Where did that ferocity go that once shook up even the mighty Grom Hellscream himself?

    Instead of having night elves being passive, or throwing their lives away against the wall of the horde, or putting themselves in the paths of giant kodos, or even worse playing the role of cowards, how about they begin showing their brutal guerrilla tactics they were feared for in Warcraft 3's story, hiding in the shadows and striking quickly and deadly. How about bringing back the old Tyrande that wasn't needy and apologetic, but respected and strong-hearted, and most importantly, unforgiving and merciless to her enemies. I miss her. The new Tyrande has been, all around, awful, and generally non-existent.

    Draenei: They have a massive amount of potential if the next expansion features the Burning Legion. They had damned well better play a massive role if they do. If it takes place on Argus, all the better. If Velen is a big part of spearheading the war effort against Kil'Jaedan, that would be perfect. In general they need to play a bigger, active role in the world and never have an entire expansion where they just sit on their thumbs and do nothing, let alone 3 in a row.

    Although it might require a little effort, if the Exodar is repaired, how about updating it so it looks more that way? It doesn't have to have the inside totally completed, but it should look shipworthy if that is what it is.

    I don't know what else to say until there is more information on the next expansion.

    Worgen: This is a BIG one. Worgen, no, Gilnean lore dies the second you leave the starting zone. This is ridiculously bad. First of all, they need to have a major victory against the forsaken. Ideally, several, if there is still a war going on. If there is a truce between the Alliance and Horde, they need to have back the Ruins of Gilneas to rebuild their home, and have something more than a dead tree husk as a main city.

    The other Greymanes should be more prominent as well. Hell, Genn himself should be, he has done literally nothing since the starting zone besides make an extremely vague and random comment on the sha in 5.1. How this is done is up to Blizzard, but they shouldn't continue to be ignored.

    I think Arathi Basin should be updated as a leveling zone, include Worgen + Stromgarde vs forsaken + orc/troll content, with a triumphant return of Danath Trollbane, a retaking of the entirety of Stromgarde for the Alliance, and a big victory for the Alliance, where the worgen use their greatest strength against the Horde -- their immunity against the Val'kyr's sadistic efforts, ideally killing one of Sylvanas' last few Val'kyr and striking a blow deep enough that the Forsaken have to retreat back into Hillsbrad. (Ideally this part would happen during the Cataclysm timeline, where Garrosh is still Warchief, right after Hillsbrad for the Forsaken).

    Pandaren: I won't mention Pandaren, except that I want them (and monks too, for that matter) in general to continue existing in some small way after Pandaria. Emphasis on small, however, and it doesn't have to be faction specific.

    This is just my two cents and quite a few ideas on how to improve the Alliance. Most of all, we need more writers capable of passionately writing Alliance content to go along with the rich Horde content we get regardless. Please let me know what you feel about this, and feel free to add your own ideas as well if you have some you wanted to share.

  2. #2
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,990
    Didn't you just post this on another thread not long ago?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Didn't you just post this on another thread not long ago?
    I did indeed, but it was off-topic and didn't feel right in that thread. If you like, I can delete it in the other thread and leave this here. I just want to see players' opinion on this -- my intention is not to spam, if you are getting at that.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2013-04-11 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,990
    no no just wondering, you carry on.

  5. #5
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    They're on the right track with Blood in the Snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  6. #6
    Legendary! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    6,242
    I never lost interest or pride in playing Alliance o.o I'm enjoying the story very much

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Lostwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Under the couch
    Posts
    1,011
    I agree with most of your suggestions. I'd like to underline, though, that I'd rather see them develop the races and faction as a whole, instead of a select few individuals. You can shove all available resources into developing Varian Wrynn, Tyrande or even Topper Mcnabb, it does not expand said race or Alliance as a whole one bit.

    Edit: edited text slightly.
    Last edited by Lostwood; 2013-04-11 at 11:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I never lost interest or pride in playing Alliance o.o I'm enjoying the story very much
    Well, look at 5.3. We're playing Horde content because Blizzard doesn't want to bother writing an Alliance version of it. This is happening a lot, in fact, it's happened consistently practically every single expansion and patch since 4.1. (in the sense, it's either shared/neutral content, or Alliance doing Horde-centric content featuring heroes of the Horde or concerns of the Horde)

    You may have pride in your faction, but it's not really a black and white thing where you are or you aren't. Things could be intensely more interesting and exciting than they are right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    I'd rather they develop the races and faction as a whole, instead of a select few individuals. You can shove all available resources into developing Varian Wrynn, Tyrande or even Topper Mcnabb, it does not expand the race or or alliance as a whole one bit.
    I agree for the most part, did you read the rest of the thread as well?
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2013-04-11 at 11:09 PM.

  9. #9
    Legendary! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    6,242
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Well, look at 5.3. We're playing Horde content because Blizzard doesn't want to bother writing an Alliance version of it. This is happening a lot, in fact, it's happened consistently practically every single expansion and patch since 4.1. (in the sense, it's either shared/neutral content, or Alliance doing Horde-centric content featuring heroes of the Horde or concerns of the Horde)

    You may have pride in your faction, but it's not really a black and white thing where you are or you aren't. Things could be intensely more interesting and exciting than they are right now.



    I agree for the most part, did you read the rest of the thread as well?
    Dunno it's pretty interesting to me that Horde have let a complete wacko rule them for so long, and are now needing our help to deal with him, I think thats pretty interesting

  10. #10
    Wrynn killing Garrosh? No, it's bad enough we have to listen to this "alliance step in to save the horde" bs and there is no one more in need of delivering that kb than Vol'jin.

    The rest of that, yeah sure whatever.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Wrynn killing Garrosh? No, it's bad enough we have to listen to this "alliance step in to save the horde" bs and there is no one more in need of delivering that kb than Vol'jin.

    The rest of that, yeah sure whatever.
    That's not at all what it means, but Thrall did exactly that in Cataclysm. And now the other Horde warchief is the center of this expansion. I think it's totally reasonable for an Alliance hero to have the spotlight for once. That said, Vol'jin would be doing just as much throughout the battle, I simply mean that Varian be the only to deliver the killing blow to Garrosh Hellscream. That's more than reasonable. It's justice, in more ways than one.

  12. #12
    There are some parts of this issue that I understand and some parts that I don't understand. I think the Alliance line is vastly underrated. You can't complain that the Alliance 'never takes the initiative' and then complain that all of your heroes are co-opted for neutral factions.

    That said, I can see merit in some of the complaints. I don't think these are the solutions to them though. In fact, it exacerbates them. Varian Wrynn was created to fill the void of absent/uninteresting faction leaders. The result, unfortunately, is that he has become the sole focal point of the Alliance. The ongoing deification of King Dildo a) is boring b) feels like a cock measuring contest. I suspect that some Alliance players do view this as such and want to be the saints and have absolute victory at the same time. This leads me to my final point: If you want to make truly interesting Alliance storylines, you're going to have to get down in the gutter, or at least introduce some more relativism, something Blizzard has been unwilling to do since they decided to make Garrosh go full retard.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    There are some parts of this issue that I understand and some parts that I don't understand. I think the Alliance line is vastly underrated. You can't complain that the Alliance 'never takes the initiative' and then complain that all of your heroes are co-opted for neutral factions.

    That said, I can see merit in some of the complaints. I don't think these are the solutions to them though. In fact, it exacerbates them. Varian Wrynn was created to fill the void of absent/uninteresting faction leaders. The result, unfortunately, is that he has become the sole focal point of the Alliance. The ongoing deification of King Dildo a) is boring b) feels like a cock measuring contest. I suspect that some Alliance players do view this as such and want to be the saints and have absolute victory at the same time. This leads me to my final point: If you want to make truly interesting Alliance storylines, you're going to have to get down in the gutter, or at least introduce some more relativism, something Blizzard has been unwilling to do since they decided to make Garrosh go full retard.
    This.^^^^^^

    I'm purely livid with them for Garrosh's sudden swing of common sense out-the-window. And I'm even more pissed that he's suddenly the new orcish Hitler.

    >=( Bad Blizzard writer is bad!

    Also, I'd like to see some stuff happen with the Gilneans and Undead. That might keep the "war" going between the two factions (so to speak) and bring some characters to the front line.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    That's not at all what it means, but Thrall did exactly that in Cataclysm. And now the other Horde warchief is the center of this expansion. I think it's totally reasonable for an Alliance hero to have the spotlight for once. That said, Vol'jin would be doing just as much throughout the battle, I simply mean that Varian be the only to deliver the killing blow to Garrosh Hellscream. That's more than reasonable. It's justice, in more ways than one.
    Garrosh's exploits haven't hurt Wrynn compared to the other members of the horde. His son got hurt, but that's nothing compared to an entire race being oppressed.

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    4,795
    Love of the alliance is still fine with me.
    Although i kinda wish that gnomes would finally get Gnomeregan back, and that the dwarfs would be having a larger story in patches.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    no king rules forever, but WoW is a stubborn bastard.

  16. #16
    How to make the alliance feel good?

    1. give the Worgen back Gilneas.

    2. develop non human lore, especially Draenei and worgen.

    3. make the night elves no longer militarily inept.

    For the record I play horde...

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Tarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    787
    I love alliance because of lion logo and blue color

  18. #18
    Have the sha of pride be possessing Varian all along, how else would his personally change so drastically in such a short time, this new found tolerance and lust for peace comes from his his pride, The pride of him being better then Garrosh and the horde.

    Have the Sha of Pride reveal himself when Varian confronts Garrosh so you will have to deal with the Sha of Pride and Garrosh taking advantage of the situation, at a later stage of the fight the Sha of Pride will possess Garrosh.

    Despite the possession Varian will come out a better person in the end.
    Last edited by wrv451nlp; 2013-04-12 at 01:40 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wrv451nlp View Post
    Have the sha of pride be possessing Varian all along, how else would his personally change so drastically in such a short time, this new found tolerance and lust for peace comes from his his pride, The pride of him being better then Garrosh and the horde.

    Have the Sha of Pride reveal himself when Varian confronts Garrosh so you will have to deal with the Sha of Pride and Garrosh taking advantage of the situation, at a later stage of the fight the Sha of Pride will possess Garrosh.

    Despite the possession Varian will come out a better person in the end.
    That actually sounds pretty cool. I would go with that, to an extent.

    PS: To other posters, these ideas are just that; ideas. They are not meant to be solutions, but ideas to improve the Alliance. Right now the gnomes, dwarves (outside vague references to the Explorer's league), draenei, and worgen pretty much don't exist, and the night elves are portrayed as incredibly inept people. I fully agree that we need more non-human lore, and to improve the leaders of the other racial factions.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    How to make the alliance feel good?

    1. give the Worgen back Gilneas.

    2. develop non human lore, especially Draenei and worgen.

    3. make the night elves no longer militarily inept.

    For the record I play horde...
    AND Gnomeregan...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •