Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    You missed my point. My point was that not all people whom are homeless are drug addicts, etc.
    Indeed, And a lot of homeless drug users became drug users once they were homeless, It's a common thing for pushers to "help" homeless people forget their troubles and supply them with some free drugs, Because once they get them hooked they know the homeless people will do things for drug money, that they wouldn't have done beforehand

There are also ofcourse the homeless people whom made themselves homeless by drug addiction, But there are also people, many people infact right now, that had businesses and lost everything in the recession, There are homeless people from all walks of life, but the majority of them are indeed drug users, But when you're on the streets, and noone can know how that feels unless they have been there, truly, been there, and you know you can spend a few quid on a sandwich, which won't fill you up, and will just make you realise you're extremely hungry, or you can spend it on some drugs, and get a pleasurable feeling, forget about your troubles, for that little while you are free again, It's an easy choice i think

Both myself and my mother have worked in homeless shelters,and this seems to be the sad truth of it, It's easy to judge someones choices, but untill you've been there, it's impossible to know what choice you yourself, would make.

it's quite possible that cigs are a currency that doesnt get one stabbed over. they are used in many "economies" where there is little cash. granted they can't "spend" them in a store, but they can be traded for other items with other homeless/impoverished
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Indeed, And a lot of homeless drug users became drug users once they were homeless, It's a common thing for pushers to "help" homeless people forget their troubles and supply them with some free drugs, Because once they get them hooked they know the homeless people will do things for drug money, that they wouldn't have done beforehand

There are also ofcourse the homeless people whom made themselves homeless by drug addiction, But there are also people, many people infact right now, that had businesses and lost everything in the recession, There are homeless people from all walks of life, but the majority of them are indeed drug users, But when you're on the streets, and noone can know how that feels unless they have been there, truly, been there, and you know you can spend a few quid on a sandwich, which won't fill you up, and will just make you realise you're extremely hungry, or you can spend it on some drugs, and get a pleasurable feeling, forget about your troubles, for that little while you are free again, It's an easy choice i think

Both myself and my mother have worked in homeless shelters,and this seems to be the sad truth of it, It's easy to judge someones choices, but untill you've been there, it's impossible to know what choice you yourself, would make.

I lived in the shelter and I worked there for a couple years after that. I'll agree that some do turn to drugs, but a lot of them do not. You hear more about those who do because that's what our media likes to zone in on. You don't hear about the hard work they do to better their situation from day to day. Like you said, you really don't know how it feels until you've been there. I've been there, and a lot of my friends and family have been there. People I've met. The majority of them never turned to drugs.
    Meep~

I'd give them the puffy shirt. Other then that i don't give them anything.

Your 10 dollars brought him happiness, isn't that what matters?
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Your 10 dollars brought him happiness, isn't that what matters?
    not really, if heroin makes him happy would you buy it for him?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    not really, if heroin makes him happy would you buy it for him?
    Don't be ridiculous. How does giving somebody 10 dollars for smokes equate to personally buying them illegal narcotics?

Seriously.

Would I care if HE bought drugs with money I gave him? Not really.

Don't be ridiculous. How does giving somebody 10 dollars for smokes equate to personally buying them illegal narcotics?

Seriously.

Would I care if HE bought drugs with money I gave him? Not really.
    Then you would be enabling his addiction, whicn im sure you wouldn't want to be activly advocating. I have a bit of respect for you that you are not that kind of person redmage plz don't let me down.

Personally i think its more productive to give to local charites...but thats just me.

This one homeless guy tried to mug me when I said I didn't have money but he backed off after he got clocked and I called a cop that was across the street, which, by the way, was the most fail cop ever. He just chased him like 10 feet and then let him go despite the fact that he tried to mug me.

A different homeless guy asked for food in another occasion so I bought him a Whopper with a coke and fries and he ate them happily on the side of the Burger King.

So in general, if they're asking for money, I won't give them any. If I have money to spare, I'll ask if they want food instead. If they refuse, then nope.avi.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    This one homeless guy tried to mug me when I said I didn't have money but he backed off after he got clocked and I called a cop that was across the street, which, by the way, was the most fail cop ever. He just chased him like 10 feet and then let him go despite the fact that he tried to mug me.

A different homeless guy asked for food in another occasion so I bought him a Whopper with a coke and fries and he ate them happily on the side of the Burger King.

So in general, if they're asking for money, I won't give them any. If I have money to spare, I'll ask if they want food instead. If they refuse, then nope.avi.

ewwww you bought him burger king?

You monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    Thank you for your source. However, I still have to disagree with you. A lot of these 'studies' are done on people whom, unfortunately, are those who sadly fit the homeless stereotype- which doesn't necessarily help those who are unwillingly homeless.

Edit: What I wish people would realize is that a big majority of the people whom are homeless are unfortunate victims of the economy, natural disasters, and just shitty situations in general-- and NOT drugs, etc.
    While I'm sure that your experience has some relevance, I think your opinion is tainted by it.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    it's quite possible that cigs are a currency that doesnt get one stabbed over. they are used in many "economies" where there is little cash. granted they can't "spend" them in a store, but they can be traded for other items with other homeless/impoverished
    This is truer than most things in this thread.
    There was a guy back in my hometown in the Uk who i'd seen homeless for a few weeks in the same spots. Decided one day to bring him some fresh sandwiches, some drinks, and ask him for a chat. He seemed glad of the company really. Asked him why he got into the situation he's in, he explained, but i won't go into that here. When i asked him how he got on without any money he told me he didn't really need money as much as he needed cigarettes. I asked him if he was addicted to smoking and he said "No, they're just better currency around here. Other people like me aren't in a position to buy their way out of their situation, but we can trade the things we get. Like 2 cigarettes can get me a blanket or a coat, you know?"
    I managed to get the guy some accommodation courtesy of my father in law who runs a guest house. He put him up for a few weeks free of charge. I helped him out with some clothes. I had plenty of stuff i didn't wear he was glad of. Hint: People in rags don't care what brand your clothes are. In the few weeks he was there he managed to get advice on what to do. He helped around the guest house to repay my father in law in the meantime.
    These days he lives in the flat just around the corner from the guest house, and works full time at said guest house.

Just think before you mindlessly bitch and moan about homeless people wasting money; Sure some might be, but many of them are people who are in their position due to a bad turn of events that aren't even their fault, and can't get out of it because nobody's really willing to throw a homeless person a job in a store. They get by via trading things between other homeless and trying to stay out of YOUR way. Sure they might sit on the sidewalk with a hat, but they don't want to be there. They're there out of need, not choice. They don't want to irritate you, or annoy you. They want to be in their own place, supporting themselves. Not starving for days on end.
    Want to help them? Bring them something to eat, something to drink, talk to them. They're glad of the company rather than people avoiding them. A conversation means more to them than your 25 cents.

Then you would be enabling his addiction, whicn im sure you wouldn't want to be activly advocating. I have a bit of respect for you that you are not that kind of person redmage plz don't let me down.

Personally i think its more productive to give to local charites...but thats just me.
    I wouldn't KNOWINGLY aid an addict, but if I gave a homeless guy $20 and later saw him smoking a crack pipe, I wouldn't care. Honestly anybody who gives a homeless person money and doesn't accept that the odds are pretty decent they will use it on drugs / alchohol is kidding themselves. There is plenty of ways to get food, not so many ways to get booze or drugs. So it's not that I want them to, I just don't care, it's their life not mine.

And yes, charities are the way to go. I like to think I'm a charitable person, but I'm also a cynical realist.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-04-12 at 01:14 AM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ewwww you bought him burger king?

You monster!
    I know right! He might as well have shit in his mouth, Poor hobo!you know how desperate you are when you settle for a BK meal

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Why do you assume homeless people will make good decisions with money...
    If anything I'd expect people in that situation would MORE responsible with their money.

Do you know how much is in your bank account without looking it up? I sure don't.

Many years ago my Mom & I were in public housing in Scotland (fighting an international custody battle) with a budget of just £40/week. We were constantly aware of exactly how much we had to work with down to the penny, because if we weren't careful then we didn't eat.

Coincidentally, a large portion of that tiny budget went to support her smoking habit. She'd been smoking already for nearly 25 years before we found ourselves in that situation and had neither the resources nor the support to have a realistic shot at quitting under those circumstances.

You're free to choose to help people or not, but make that choice based on your desire to help others. Don't make it based on your judgment of their choices, because you can't possibly understand those choices until you've been in their shoes.
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Tobacco is a drug that causes severe physical and psychological addiction. Craving for nicotine is more intense than hunger or thirst. It is no miracle that people will spend their last $ on smoke instead of buying food. As an ex addict I believe I have fair degree of understanding of this topic.

In short: if you want to help homeless, tobacco addicted person, you better give them food instead of money.

I know right! He might as well have shit in his mouth, Poor hobo!you know how desperate you are when you settle for a BK meal

lol i know right, blah I would rather make myself some old microwaved fishsticks than eat at BK

You know, I'm really appreciating the irony of somebody with a ironman avatar and sig bashing Burger King.

I wouldn't KNOWINGLY aid an addict, but if I gave a homeless guy $20 and later saw him smoking a crack pipe, I wouldn't care. Honestly anybody who gives a homeless person money and doesn't accept that the odds are pretty decent they will use it on drugs / alchohol is kidding themselves. There is plenty of ways to get food, not so many ways to get booze or drugs. So it's not that I want them to, I just don't care, it's their life not mine.

And yes, charities are the way to go. I like to think I'm a charitable person, but I'm also a cynical realist.
    I know what ya mean redmage, and i would also consider myself a realist, thats why I would never just give money to anyone. I'm not faulting you for your opinion, I see where your coming from.

When life is as bad as it is for most homeless they end up trapped in their own addiction and pain management cycle.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."