Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Durumu the Forgotten - tips on how to beat the worst boss Blizzard ever designed?

Our guild had our first solid look at Durumu normal 10man last night. Fair to say it's my least favorite fight of the tier so far, least favorite of the expansion, and perhaps even my least favorite of all time. Whinging aside, wondering how people are managing it?

We had a few attempts earlier in the week ("pre-nerf") and ten solid attempts last night. Last night we had two attempts where we hit the enrage timer (having already lost 1 or 2 dps during the attempt) that would have probably ended in a kill had everyone survived till the end (one wipe was 2% and one was 6%). Raid dps could be higher, but if everyone survives it's enough to beat the enrage.

We only had a handful of deaths across the attempts caused solely by failing to navigate the 'maze'. There where quite a few deaths from mind daggers and a couple due to a mind dagger/eye sore combo. The disintegration beam did seem to creep up on us a little quicker and the clear path within the maze became a little less clear as we go toward the end. Personally I failed on the maze twice while in the melee path. I understand the concept, I know to move, I understand not to panic etc. but getting toward the end of the maze phase the clear path would sometimes appear very poorly defined. I'm not sure whether its the graphics they've used on the maze (the purple swirley smoke), latency, poor gfx settings on my part, or that there just isn't enough color contrast between the color of the ground and the 'maze', but the whole thing just looks like a clusterfrak to me.
    The outer path was much easier to navigate, but without a speed boost of any kind it was touch and go as to whether you'd stay in front of the disintegration beam.

We also lost a couple of people to Force of Will, as they were stunned by the Life Drain within the Force of Will cone. Is there any way to get out of this or is it just unlucky RNG?

Any suggestions?

Thats funny cause on the poll, Durumu was the second favorite boss (beat by Lei Shen). Do you have a log you can post?

As for the maze deaths, the reason you died isn't mind daggers. I don't care if that is what got the killing blow on every single person in the raid. The only way you die to that is if (1) you stood in the maze and took damage or (2) your healers are dead. Are your raiders standing in it as it spawns or afterwards? Sounds like you are having a problem running into it after it starts and I don't really know what to say other than slow down and a path will absolutely open before you get 1 shot by the beam (and the beam will get really close sometimes on the melee path before the next safe spot clears).

For Force of Will, once it happens, probably only a life grip. You could maybe have some one with something like cloak of shadows run in and grab the beam so the other person can move (they still get stunned, but I'm nearly positive you can immune FoW so you don't die). However, FoW is on a timer and if you make sure no one is near the person eating the life drain right when it goes out, you shouldn't have an issue.

Deleted
    If you have deaths to Mind Daggers that probably means your healers aren't doing jack shit during the maze. They really don't do much damage, even minimal heals will keep people alive.

Dying to Eye Sores just means you're standing in purple stuff. That's a player mistake.

Wiping to enrage is also player error in the form of low DPS (or bad swapping of life steal beam). If your healers aren't healing during the maze then I assume your DPS aren't doing a ton of DPS either and that will very likely lead to enrage. On our kill we lost multiple DPS to the 2nd maze and still made it with plenty of time to spare on enrage. We also 2 healed it and never found Mind Daggers to be an issue, the difficulty simply lies in navigating the maze properly while doing DPS/Healing.

The last thing you mentioned with the Force of Will while stunned is just really shitty RNG, there's not a whole ton of stuff you can do to avoid it. But fortunately its rare.

Overall it just sounds like your DPS/heals are too low and you're having trouble with the maze. I don't have any special tips to help with that, you just need to practice it until you get better at it. This is quite possibly the hardest fight in 10m. Its not a bad designed boss, its just hard.

To get you more specific stuff I'd need you to post logs, or at least tell me your comp and strat.

not sure Leap of Faith works on the person who gets stunned by drain life ,..we had a few same wipes which caused by this ..our priest didnt get a chance to test it
    anyone can confirm ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The way to handle the Force of Will + Life Drain:

It only lines up that way on the single Life Drain between the end of a maze phase and the beginning of a colour phase.

The FoW will strike on the last 1-3 ticks of the life drain.

Since it occurs near the end of the drain, the best way to minimise risk is to make sure people move well away from the stunning location so that you have only 0-1 possible targets for FoW in the vicinity of the last stunned person. For that final stunned person, if you're STILL unlucky and get the FoW on them, then you're only options are Life Grip and stunbreaks, so try to make sure that the last person stunned isn't your priest or is a person with a stunbreak.

As long as noone's standing around the last stunned person, and you have a life grip, you should never have a problem here.

General tips for maximising DPS:

- make sure people aren't losing ridiculous amounts of DPS during maze phase
    - try to limit life drain stacks to 2 where possible, 3 at maximum
    - have people assigned to marking red/blue fog locations so that you can clear them ridiculously fast (some of our colour phases only last about 15-20 seconds now)
    - make sure people are DPSing the boss when not DPSing fogs (obvious but helps)

Thanks. Here's a link to the logs of the wipes from last night:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ma...pes&boss=68036
    My dps (warrior) was pretty low I was having a bad night and I really need to make sure I keep up some more damage on the boss during the maze. A couple of times I found myself out in the range path for the maze which didn't help either.

The reason why I was saying mind daggers seemed to be a problem was when looking at the death logs or events before a death. I understand that just cos mind dagger may have got the KB it may not be the cause, but in those cases I'd expect to see a combination of eye sore and mind daggers. Eye sore is not showing up in the events in many cases. Eg. here's around 10 seconds leading up to a typical maze death:
    [22:01:09.643] Red Eye Mind Daggers Giggitz 18692 (A: 11556)
    [22:01:09.643] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 23044
    [22:01:10.125] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:10.817] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:10.857] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 22976
    [22:01:11.507] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:11.667] Fweaky Prayer of Healing Giggitz +18692 (O: 22224)
    [22:01:11.667] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 22919
    [22:01:12.217] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:12.857] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 23037
    [22:01:12.897] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:13.589] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:13.679] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 22934
    [22:01:14.271] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:14.893] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten *47278*
    [22:01:14.983] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:15.696] Yellow Eye Mind Daggers Giggitz 27593
    [22:01:15.696] Giggitz Frozen Orb Durumu the Forgotten 22952
    [22:01:15.776] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:16.606] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten *22571*
    [22:01:17.416] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten *22571*
    [22:01:17.696] Appraising Eye Mind Daggers Giggitz 27002
    [22:01:17.696] Yellow Eye Mind Daggers Giggitz 26177
    [22:01:18.258] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:19.060] Giggitz Nether Tempest Durumu the Forgotten 10957
    [22:01:19.700] Giggitz dies
    Here's the lead up to where I know 100% that I failed:
    [22:31:43.732] Appraising Eye Mind Daggers Doken 31341
    [22:31:43.732] Doken Mortal Strike Durumu the Forgotten *157177*
    [22:31:44.133] Unknown Eye Sore Doken 125000
    [22:31:44.393] Doken Deep Wounds Durumu the Forgotten 32506
    [22:31:44.493] Fweaky Prayer of Mending Doken +54581
    [22:31:44.493] Différént Battle Insight Doken +6411
    [22:31:44.493] Unknown Eye Sore Doken 125000
    [22:31:44.923] Unknown Eye Sore Doken 125000
    [22:31:45.315] Unknown Eye Sore Doken 125000
    [22:31:45.765] Appraising Eye Mind Daggers Doken 4200 (O: 25726)
    [22:31:45.765] Doken Overpower Durumu the Forgotten *102633*
    [22:31:46.115] Doken dies

10+ Year Old Account
    Giggitz was high enough health to be overhealed by the PoH, meaning that he only took 80,772 damage from max health before dying, meaning that he was hit by the laser (the laser quite often doesn't actually register damage in the combat logs, just an insta death).

Both of those death notes show people who got hit by the beam. Giggitz only took about 80k damage from Mind Dagger and got a heal with some overhealing between the first and second so he should have been almost full on health. The beam is the cause.

Also, the beam is the only thing I have seen in logs of that fight that won't give a death reason. It will just say, "Doken dies".
    Last edited by Jamzz; 2013-04-12 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamzz View Post
    Both of those death notes show people who got hit by the beam. Giggitz only took about 80k damage from Mind Dagger and got a heal with some overhealing between the first and second so he should have been almost full on health. The beam is the cause.

Also, the beam is the only thing I have seen in logs of that fight that won't give a death reason. It will just say, "Doken dies".
    The last Mind Dagger on Doken's log has an overkill statistic, it was the killing blow.

Ok gonna look at the log, but take another look at what you posted. Mind daggers is like 30k a shot. It would take like 15 hits to actually kill you if you got absolutely no healing so long as you didn't stand in crap.

No, the beam didn't kill Doken. You can see the last mind daggers shows overkill damage. He had nothing left and a dagger finished him.

Edit: Ok so I looked at the survivability tab and checked the maze phase related deaths and pretty much all of your raid's early deaths are from the beam. There were I think 3 related to eyesores where the eyesore either killed some one or left you with so little hp the daggers killed you. But for example drdeaf's early deaths on try 1 and 5 are the beam. Try 1 he was overhealed by a hot, 150k damage later he died. Try 5 he got a heal from a hot, 1 second later, he died. This is happening on every single one of those deaths that you don't see a bunch of eyesore damage on, which as I said is most of them. The beam is killing you more than the fire.

Your dps is also definitely low (as in your raids). With the gear you should have by now working on Durumu, 90-100k DPS(e) is fairly reasonable. That said, if you don't lose a dps for a third of the fight, I'm sure you can make the enrage.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2013-04-12 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    The last Mind Dagger on Doken's log has an overkill statistic, it was the killing blow.
    Yep. Missed that. Thanks.

Thanks this makes sense. I was looking through the logs to find out what people were dying from and there weren't that many instances of eye sore so i couldn't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Your dps is also definitely low (as in your raids). With the gear you should have by now working on Durumu, 90-100k DPS(e) is fairly reasonable. That said, if you don't lose a dps for a third of the fight, I'm sure you can make the enrage.
    Agreed DPS is quite low, we all need to pick it up. We're usually a bit stronger than that but I think a few of us were so paranoid about not dying in the maze we let things slip. I can only speak for myself but for each maze phase I was far more focused on dodging stuff than doing meaningful damage, which meant I was effectively auto-attacking (when in range) for 3mins. I need to improve that personally. Thinking it might be worth trying to 2 heal it perhaps seeing as our shaman is low on the heal side atm anyway?
    Last edited by Reinholder; 2013-04-12 at 05:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you work on not failing to the beam or the maze there is no need to drop a healer (as long as your dps actually increases). 2-healing will likely give healers more stress and may result in even more fails at moving.

Deleted
    What helped me a lot is just go into LFR and learn to do the maze properly.

People are just gonna wipe there, and there's no pressure so have fun mastering the maze there.
    There a couple of .gif too that I found interesting, focus on that and just try to take no damage at all.

I plan to make all our roster go there in LFR and learn the shit out of this, I don't want us to wipe on durumu people people can handle the maze and didnt take time to learn it.

Incidently, I think its a very very fun and original fights, the 3 beam and colors are just beautiful, I like this fight a lot .

Good luck
    Last edited by mmoc70ab634a7b; 2013-04-12 at 08:42 AM.

There is also no reason to have 2 tanks on this. You prot paladin should be fine solo tanking it.

This is one of my favourite fights of all time, very little RNG, lots of personal awareness to surroundings and a fair bit for every class to do.

To beat it... um, learn the maze? That's pretty much the entire fight. Takes a couple of attempts to get the idea down, max. We stack up on the beam before it spawns, look for the crackles on the ground, then go there and stand close to the start of the wall of death, sit there, nuke, follow the path that opens.

Biggest piece of advice I can give: Don't panic. The maze will spawn, there will be no dead ends, you will have enough time to move.

Then, just ensure that your blue beam doesn't move, you have a nice distrubution of people in each beam and you kill those red adds nice and quickly.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    I havent looked at your logs but the main "dps loss" on this fight is probably being slow with the colorbeam part.

We get him down to around 50% hp before the first beam starts (sure we got the gear now) by having something like 50 seconds of free dps time when we are done with the beams. Allways mark up where the adds spawn, give everyone assist, chose a mark to use, mark if you see it or standing close to it w/e and one VERY important thing to optimize the time spent here is for the person with the red beam to run close to the middle to reduce traveltime around the room AND start at the "correct" add - meaning the one that will give you the shortest path around the room to the last add.

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    What helped me a lot is just go into LFR and learn to do the maze properly.

People are just gonna wipe there, and there's no pressure so have fun mastering the maze there.
    There a couple of .gif too that I found interesting, focus on that and just try to take no damage at all.

I plan to make all our roster go there in LFR and learn the shit out of this, I don't want us to wipe on durumu people people can handle the maze and didnt take time to learn it.

Incidently, I think its a very very fun and original fights, the 3 beam and colors are just beautiful, I like this fight a lot .

Good luck
    This doesnt work anymore with the recent changes. You can just run out in front, its easier than shit now. I also don't know what the OP is talking about. this was my favorite boss in the instance but now I hate it with their changes for the whiney LFR fairies. The maze is WORSE than it was before. Also the purple shit on the ground doesnt fade fast enough, Life drain is out before there is anywhere to move which is annoying, also they change force of will directional graphic. ST00pid changes.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Our guild had our first solid look at Durumu normal 10man last night. Fair to say it's my least favorite fight of the tier so far, least favorite of the expansion, and perhaps even my least favorite of all time. Whinging aside, wondering how people are managing it?

We had a few attempts earlier in the week ("pre-nerf") and ten solid attempts last night. Last night we had two attempts where we hit the enrage timer (having already lost 1 or 2 dps during the attempt) that would have probably ended in a kill had everyone survived till the end (one wipe was 2% and one was 6%). Raid dps could be higher, but if everyone survives it's enough to beat the enrage.

We only had a handful of deaths across the attempts caused solely by failing to navigate the 'maze'. There where quite a few deaths from mind daggers and a couple due to a mind dagger/eye sore combo. The disintegration beam did seem to creep up on us a little quicker and the clear path within the maze became a little less clear as we go toward the end. Personally I failed on the maze twice while in the melee path. I understand the concept, I know to move, I understand not to panic etc. but getting toward the end of the maze phase the clear path would sometimes appear very poorly defined. I'm not sure whether its the graphics they've used on the maze (the purple swirley smoke), latency, poor gfx settings on my part, or that there just isn't enough color contrast between the color of the ground and the 'maze', but the whole thing just looks like a clusterfrak to me.
    The outer path was much easier to navigate, but without a speed boost of any kind it was touch and go as to whether you'd stay in front of the disintegration beam.

We also lost a couple of people to Force of Will, as they were stunned by the Life Drain within the Force of Will cone. Is there any way to get out of this or is it just unlucky RNG?

Any suggestions?
    It looks like you are 3 healing. Is there any reason for this? The healing in this fight is not bad except the tanks after hard stare. During color phase you should rotate every single raid cd (Devo, Rally, Demo banner, offspec tranqs or NVs) they will be back up later and you wont need them any other time. Your resto shaman is doing less healing than your prot pally. Unacceptable. Make him go dps, assuming his main spec is dps anyways since his healing is so low. Any time your wiping to enrage you should always consider dropping a healer unless its impossible. Don't let your healers be little bitches and say its too hard, 2 healing all encounters will make them better players. The only one I suggest 3 healing is Megaera....
    Last edited by zaneosak; 2013-04-12 at 11:36 AM.

Durumu is awesome except for the fog that ruins my 10fps toaster oven and also seems to not work for high end graphics cards..(Blizzard! >.>).
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexlava View Post
    not sure Leap of Faith works on the person who gets stunned by drain life ,..we had a few same wipes which caused by this ..our priest didnt get a chance to test it
    anyone can confirm ?
    havn't tested it myself but it works, got gripped out of it one time by our disc priest