Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    No I was just saying that the heroic encounter is really amazing, im not the first person to say that the normal mode version is a complete joke. What makes this fight so amazing on heroic is that you need good dps to take down the walls and you need good dps to kill the boss in time and you need good healing to keep people alive. Add the individual skill required for the maze/red beam and you have a really great encounter.
    This is a thread about asking for help with normal mode Durumu. Even if it did kind of get off-topic, think about how it comes off when you say stuff like "normal modes are a complete joke".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    This is a thread about asking for help with normal mode Durumu. Even if it did kind of get off-topic, think about how it comes off when you say stuff like "normal modes are a complete joke".
    Maybe but it also says the worst boss blizzard ever designed so im here explaining that it is an amazing boss

Deleted
    Maybe but it also says the worst boss blizzard ever designed so im here explaining that it is an amazing boss
    That's fine, you certainly aren't the only one who said so. Most people agreed with you and said the same thing.

I just mean it came off really condescending to both the OP and to the many people on this forum who are still on normal modes. That's all I'm saying, just something to keep in mind when phrasing posts.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    i wish the maze actually worked properly more that half the time. so many times a path opens up but the graphic effect remains on the ground making it much harder to see.
    I've never had it mess up past week 1/2.

I'm not an elite raider, I like to clear normal modes while they are current but I'm realistic and not seeing any world firsts in my future. That said, I'm also not a complete derp. Maybe when I said worst designed ever I should have explained a bit more I think the concept and thought behind the fight are fine, so in that respect the 'design' is fine. My issue is the maze itself, and I know I'm not the only one that has trouble seeing the safe path.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's a graphics thing, a hardware thing (at my end) or whatever, but the 'walls' of the maze lack definition to me. The clear path does not always seem clear. maybe if the maze was a flat solid texture on the ground it would be a lot clearer, but with the 3d smoke that has a height to it as well seems to add difficulty to the maze that may make it harder on people running a min. systems requirement machine on lowest settings. The contrast between the ground and the maze is not there for me. All the lack of definition, poor contrast, the effect it has on FPS, and the fact that the maze itself is very unforgiving, and that about summarizes why I think it's the worst designed boss ever. I haven't been tested for color blindness but this fight is starting to make me think that it might be time that I did. Dark purple on dark grey does not make for good contrast. It's a sea of darkness. Blizz have tweaked the maze a few times already, were changing it right till the end of 5.2ptr and even said themselves that what went live wasn't how they'd intended it to be.

The outer path does seem a lot clearer than the melee path, but on our last attempts without any run speed boosts it was all but impossible to stay ahead of the death beam (I think this was hotfixed after our attempts but haven't been back in yet to check).

If you have no problems seeing the maze and the clear path, I'm happy for you, but I just think that the maze is extremely unforgiving for a mechanic that it seems like a lot of people are still having trouble seeing clearly. Success or failure in the fight comes down to getting through the maze cleanly. If a couple of people in your group are having issues with it the fight becomes infinitely more difficult. If a fight relies on a machine beyond min. system requirements to get past it, that's bad design imho.

My guild is only 8/12 and so far, Most of my group's favorite fight has been durumu. The boss just seems well done, if you mess up then you die but the mechanics are easy enough to not mess up frequently. Just get light phase down fast which is the hardest part, don't die to faceroll mechanics like the knockback. And all stack in melee and go in the side with little lines and follow melee maze. GG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexlava View Post
    not sure Leap of Faith works on the person who gets stunned by drain life ,..we had a few same wipes which caused by this ..our priest didnt get a chance to test it
    anyone can confirm ?
    Even if it does not work if he gets thrown away by the spell which i cannot remember what is named force of something i think. you can leap him. personally saved a dps and a tank from this.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I must say that this fight is pretty awesome, I enjoy it a lot and it's great fun once you understand the mechanics. We kille dit first by switching down to a 10 man once our 25 raid ran out of time last Monday (before nerf), it was cake. We pretty much roflstompped the boss, and I feel he's pretty undertuned for 10, although it might have just been we took literally the BEST dps/heals in the guild and destroyed him (I will say most our players are of around equal skill but it still varies a bit fight to fight). We then went on to 2 shot Primordius, awesome fun on that fight as well!

I think especially with the changes to the maze the fight is great, as long as the healers are healing, you will be fine and the only thing that will kills you is not focusing or bad placement of void zones (that can lead to the raid running through them in the maze). I remember on the first 10 man attempt I was just barely making it out of being stunned from life drain, popped Death's Advance and accidentally ran into Force of Will as I was so happy to be alive I didn't notice it till I went flying ^.^

Durumu is great because bad players die to the dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.

If you're dying to the life drain + force knock back, you need to make sure that you're as close to the boss as possible when you're the last person to get stunned.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hello, is this boss 2 or 3 healed by 10 man raids ? and I saw somewhere you can one tank it, is this right ?
    A woman should never invest in a relationship she wouldn't want her daughter in, nor allow any man to treat her in a way her son would get scoled for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    hello, is this boss 2 or 3 healed by 10 man raids ? and I saw somewhere you can one tank it, is this right ?
    Both. We have 2 and 3 healed it. Entirely depends on what you are most comfortable with. You can one tank it as well, if you have a Paladin tank, or just two Paladins with Clemency. We usually 3 heal, 2 tank it but you can easily go with 2 healers and 2 tanks, or 3 healers and 1 tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to ask for help on this fight as well.
    Yesterday we had 25 wipes on this boss on 10 man normal. Lot of personal errors, etc., but still with the feeling, that we do something wrong. Most of the times one of ours tanks (Sharuil or Natrang) died. I'm not sure if our healers weren't good enough, or we did something wrong. Here is the log from the longest try: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-24...?s=8303&e=8647 so if anyone can take a look and give some advices? Cheers
    "Not that I mind senseless violence, manling, but what are you doing to that old man?" - Gotrek, the Trollslayer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizztcz View Post
    I would like to ask for help on this fight as well.
    Yesterday we had 25 wipes on this boss on 10 man normal. Lot of personal errors, etc., but still with the feeling, that we do something wrong. Most of the times one of ours tanks (Sharuil or Natrang) died. I'm not sure if our healers weren't good enough, or we did something wrong. Here is the log from the longest try: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-24...?s=8303&e=8647 so if anyone can take a look and give some advices? Cheers
    Make sure the tanks have their strongest cooldowns for the color phase. Make them call out for pain suppresions and so. Your healing team might want to setup who is popping a cooldown during which color phase. The hardest part about the encounter I have found to be the lifedrain during color phase. Make sure people switch on that. Also, tell your dps to maximise their damage. The berserk can creep up on you. We wiped to berserk at 6%. The very next pull we beat it by a min. You should make sure that a healer always walks with the red beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Fair to say it's my most favorite fight of the tier so far, most favorite of the expansion.
    Fixed I think it's a really fun encounter, that's actually a nice challenge.

This is a great fight, lots of nice graphics and varying responses to the general strat (not the same every single time). My machine handles the graphics fine and I can see the maze pretty clear, so no complaints here. Just wanted to post a contrary opinion to the OP and give Durumu encounter some support!

Looking forward to the hard mode with the walls of ice, our guild is almost up to him on heroic.

Well after much playing around with GDP settings and the like I found a happy medium where I could generally make out the maze and we killed it. I still feel this boss was more about overcoming crappy graphic design rather than anything else.

Definitely normal modes are not a joke. Don't forget there are guilds out there that don't start with an average raid ilvl of 512 or even more. Most guilds starting with ToT are arround 500 and maybe they are arround 505 when they work on Durumu. And I think that gear offset is quiet noticable. We are also not the best guild in the world, but our average raid ilvl is arround 510 or so and we managed to kill Durumu during the third maze.
    I think Durumu is really the hardest encounter in the first eleven Bosses (we are 11/12 currently). Though I never thought that it's kind of unfair. You really have to play it well and fast, especially the beams, and the boss will die. It kind of felt like Elegon imho and it was really a great moment when we killed it first. It's not like twin consorts which are really a push over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Definitely normal modes are not a joke. Don't forget there are guilds out there that don't start with an average raid ilvl of 512 or even more. Most guilds starting with ToT are arround 500 and maybe they are arround 505 when they work on Durumu. And I think that gear offset is quiet noticable. We are also not the best guild in the world, but our average raid ilvl is arround 510 or so and we managed to kill Durumu during the third maze.
    I think Durumu is really the hardest encounter in the first eleven Bosses (we are 11/12 currently). Though I never thought that it's kind of unfair. You really have to play it well and fast, especially the beams, and the boss will die. It kind of felt like Elegon imho and it was really a great moment when we killed it first. It's not like twin consorts which are really a push over.
    Its harder than the 12th as well on normal. Or so it felt to be anyway.

Deleted
    explaining that it is an amazing boss
    a-maze-ing

Now go report me for spam, totally worth it.