Help with my groups Disc priest.

I am the GM/Raid leader of a 10man guild that is currently 8/12. Very recently I had our priest switch from Disc to Holy. As holy he was consistently ranking withing the top 10-30 on WoL, but we were still having trouble with healing. I had him switch to disc and we are killing bosses with much less issues, however he keeps telling me he feels like he is play disc wrong and is not comfortable with it. English is not his first language so tonight he asked me if I could post on some forums and try to get some feedback for him.

Our Comp when he was holy changed pretty frequently. Usually it was HPal/HPriest or RSham/HPriest, and for a brief stint of time it was HPriest/Rdruid (Turnover sucks >.>) with a resto druid as the OH for 3 heal fights. As Disc it has been HPal/Disc with the Druid still as the OH.

Here is his armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Tpog/advanced
    And here are our Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/145305/

He changed to Disc on 4-9, prior to that all our logs are him as holy. Neither of us are sheepish about feedback, if there is something wrong, feel free to lay into it. I really appreciate any feedback you guys might be able to offer. Also I didn't see a "Fix my healing" sticky, but if something like that exists I apologize and will close this post and post there instead.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide.

I didn't bother looking at his armory, but he shouldn't be using the spirit trinkets if there are alternatives from T14. I looked only at one fight, as it is (was) a fairly healing-intensive fight where CD management / spell choices were quite important for first kills.

Firstly, I suspect that he might have some mana issues. He isn't maximising his usage of efficient spells like holy fire and shadowfiend, opting to spam PW: S instead. Nothing terrribly wrong with this, many well-geared healers trying to get a high rank on WoL will often try to cheese / pad, which often leads to whiney non-disc healers qqing about how OP disc is on farm content. However, his hps dipped noticeably during the highest AoE damage phases, which is certainly an area he can improve upon.

Deleted
    If you/he cares about Rankings, read this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-vs-%28e%29HPS
    It definitely applies to him, e.g. Jin'rokh: HPS 100k, (e)HPS 79k

Before I give some tips I want to mention: I am not the uber disc heal myself.

I am looking at your log from last Tuesday, where you did Boss 1-6. I healed the same 6 bosses just yesterday. Some observastions:
    - Use Penance on CD as offensive spell (especially at boses like jin'rokh or tortos - where there is dmg increase buffs at the boss sometimes - it's a big push. I had a lot more of Penance hits with nearly the same fight duration)
    - If he has mana issues, use SF+Solace instead of HF+MB
    - SS on Jin'rokh: Use it only on transisation phases (seems like he uses it way before/after, but I could be wrong reading the log)
    - SS on Tortos: Think before the fight were you are going to use it. Which 3-4 Quake stomps are you going to use? The other ones: PW:S raid
    - Megaera: Use Divine Star, it's extremly nice there. His Cascade healing: 1.5mil, My Divine Star healing: 3.5 mil (hearly same fight duration)

In general: Holy and Disc seperate each other quite a lot. That's because the mind set you need for each specc is quite different. Disc needs to know exactly when what is going to happen and how you will deal with this mechanics before. Yes - Overall every good healer needs to know that, but Discs especially need a tick more of knowledge on that.

@Samsine...

My Cascade did 3.5 million healing on a 6:44 Meagra kill, so its definitely useful...its about how its used, and if your raids Rampages are easily healed. I used Cascade a split second before poison bolt hits, usually aimed at the farthest tank, and always with AA active.
    Last edited by Anastacy; 2013-04-12 at 12:30 PM.

3.5M divine star!

I typically heal for 10M with divine star and our shadowpriest offheals using it and puts out over 20M healing (with that ability alone).... There's no argument on which is better.

I just realized you guys are probably 10 man. Maybe Cascade/Divine are closer there but I still think Divine is way better if used properly (This takes far more skill during the non stack phases) and is much more mana efficient allowing you to cast more of your other heals!
    Last edited by MattCauthron; 2013-04-12 at 04:49 PM.

Thank you all for you input thus far. I will let him know that I got some feedback and have him take a look at this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCauthron View Post
    3.5M divine star!

I typically heal for 10M with divine star and our shadowpriest offheals using it and puts out over 20M healing (with that ability alone).... There's no argument on which is better.
    20M with divine star is ~50k hps overall in an 6:30 min fight. So...just no. 10M might be possible in 25m but seems A LOT! I usually end up with 3-3,5M of divine star and see myself as a good disc priest. :P

Let me link the logs good sir Our shadow priest is quite good. When we have new recruits we play the game "outheal our shadowpriest while he's dpsing". Most lose.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1r...?s=9333&e=9756

On last nights kill he did 21M healing with Divine Star. He has done more than that in the past. So yes it is very possible. I only did 9M last night but was not in the stack up 2 times due to having to run out for boss abilities before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCauthron View Post
    Let me link the logs good sir Our shadow priest is quite good. When we have new recruits we play the game "outheal our shadowpriest while he's dpsing". Most lose.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1r...?s=9333&e=9756

On last nights kill he did 21M healing with Divine Star. He has done more than that in the past. So yes it is very possible. I only did 9M last night but was not in the stack up 2 times due to having to run out for boss abilities before hand.
    Your first sentence made my day.