Poll: Who should leave if both are listed on the lease/rental forms etc?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Man VS Woman when leaving a residence.

If a Man and Woman get into an argument and the either yells for the other to leave who should go and who should leave, even if the police show up? (if both their names are on the lease/rent etc.)

I'm asking because a co-worker of mine got into an argument with his wife they both are on the mortgage she wanted him out called the cops and he was forced to leave was no violence just raised voices.

I told him he should just go back there when shes not there and if she doesn't want him around then she can leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither would be optimal. If that isn't meant to be, then if both of them own it jointly neither should have the ability to have the other kicked out. If one doesn't want to be around the other, he/she can leave.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Tell your friend to sue the police for sexism.

If one of the people doesn't want to be around the other then they need to leave. Doesn't matter if it's the man or the woman, whichever one doesn't want them both living together needs to leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, one of them has to go if it comes down to it. As a man, I'd say kick her out, but I'm a more amenable person and would probably be fine with either of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one who doesn't want to be around the other one should leave, neither should be kicked out.

If both are too stubborn to leave then they'll just remain pissed.

:/ thats how I see it. But because of domestic violence and stupid shit like that the man will almost always get kicked out, at least here in the USA.

Thats life I guess...
    Call me House.

Stepmother, who was just my dads live in GF (paid no bills name no nothing) got drunk and held a knife to my throat threatening to kill me. After police got there things were broken up, they said since she lived there for over 2 weeks they could not do anything or force her to leave and she could not be denied reentry to the house.

id say this criteria:

1: obvious aggressor/instigator = gtfo

2: whoever is making demands of separation = gtfo

in that order. unfortunately that would require the cops to use a thing called judgement, which some are fine at and others not so much. but from what ive seen it's always the man that gets kicked for w/e reason, regardless of the circumstance
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    The police really shouldn't have anything to do with this. If they show up and there is no evidence of a crime having been committed, they need to pack up and leave. There is no legitimate reason for them to kick someone out of a piece of property they own simply because someone is mad at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    If both are too stubborn to leave then they'll just remain pissed.
    Draw a white line down the middle of the house. She stays on her side and he stays on his

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Stepmother, who was just my dads live in GF (paid no bills name no nothing) got drunk and held a knife to my throat threatening to kill me. After police got there things were broken up, they said since she lived there for over 2 weeks they could not do anything or force her to leave and she could not be denied reentry to the house.
    Kill her the next time she has anything that might possibly be used as a weapon in your presence. Her mere presence is a threat your life and justification enough after pulling something like that.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

There's no "should" about it, the police make a call based on the situation as they find it. It's probably more likely to be the man since odds are he's more likely to get aggressive or violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Tell your friend to sue the police for sexism.
    Good luck with that.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 02:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    The police really shouldn't have anything to do with this. If they show up and there is no evidence of a crime having been committed, they need to pack up and leave. There is no legitimate reason for them to kick someone out of a piece of property they own simply because someone is mad at them.
    They have a duty to keep the peace and defuse situations that will likely lead to violence.

You may not like it but it has to be done.

Kill her the next time she has anything that might possibly be used as a weapon in your presence. Her mere presence is a threat your life and justification enough after pulling something like that.
    Excellent advice lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Draw a white line down the middle of the house. She stays on her side and he stays on his
    I'll take the half with the fridge and tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    If a Man and Woman get into an argument and the either yells for the other to leave who should go and who should leave, even if the police show up? (if both their names are on the lease/rent etc.)

I'm asking because a co-worker of mine got into an argument with his wife they both are on the mortgage she wanted him out called the cops and he was forced to leave was no violence just raised voices.

I told him he should just go back there when shes not there and if she doesn't want him around then she can leave.
    Technically, Neither can be forced, because they both "Own" the property. The police were in the wrong there. (I use own loosely, because ultimately, the bank owns the property) The only scenario in which the police can tell you to leave is if you're trespassing. If his name is on the lease/mortgage/etc. he has a right to be there, and the only person who can ask him to leave at that point would be the bank, (or landlord/property manager if he was renting)

If it happened to me, I'd be at the bank the next day to see if the bank could get my name off the mortgage, pull money out of any shared accounts, etc. If I don't have access to the house, I sure as shit wouldn't want to be responsible if she burned the place down. If any of the bills were in my name, I'd cancel those too, and work on getting mail sent to that address in my name held until I had a new, somewhat permanent address. Essentially, I'd systematically tie up all the loose ends, burn the bridge behind me, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Technically, Neither can be forced, because they both "Own" the property. The police were in the wrong there.
    Pro tip: you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Sue the officer for sexism.
    There is no grounds to evict someone who is on the lease/mortgage.

Fuck that sexism.

All things being equal, the person terminating the relationship should be the one to leave.

I'm pretty sure the police can not force you out your own home if your name on it.

The one who started the argument should leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm pretty sure the police can not force you out your own home if your name on it.
    I think this is correct, that is unless one of the parties has committed some sort of crime (ie domestic violence), and also if said party wishes to press charges....at least thats how it happened in Breaking Bad =X

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post

How exactly was he "forced" to leave?

---------- Post added 2013-04-11 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pro tip: you're wrong.
    How is he wrong? What legal justification would the police have in forcing you to leave your home when no crime has been comitted?
    Last edited by Kulanae; 2013-04-12 at 06:25 AM.

Depends on the situation. Generally the sane one should go sleep in a hotel for a few days, talk to a lawyer and sell off his share.

The one that gets to keep the house should compensate the other person.