Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you have an artifical joint?

I realize the demo for this board probably isn't in the age bracket that is receiving new joints just yet, but I am 29 and I will under-go total shoulder arthroplasty in just under 2 weeks time and I was looking for what to expect afterwards, limitations, activities you had to give up or even those you could do again with the new joint you could not do before.

With that said I am really looking forward to the replacement as the constant pain and severely limited motion blows.

I'm hoping to be able to get back into swimming once fully recovered.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's caused the need for a replacement?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What's caused the need for a replacement?
    My shoulder is bone on bone - this causes great pain. And sit's really far back in the socket, almost out of the socket, which limits my range of motion to less than 90 degrees.

What caused all this damage? A Combination of many things, I was a swimmer with loose joints for 15 years, I had a motorcycle accident a few years back that may have caused some damage, I had a dislocation at a very young age further loosening my joint. It really is a combination of things.

Deleted
    No, but I have the feeling I will need one in the future, miles of walking carrying very heavy weights has token its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't comment about shoulder replacements except that ball and socket joints are apparently some of the easiest replacement surgeries.

My mother had her ankle replaced this time last year. Now she's regularly walking several miles in the evening, but that took a year of recovery and practice on the elliptical to get to.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    My father-in-law had his shoulder replaced about 5 years ago. He didn't do all the following Physical Therapy that he should have and now has very limited strength and motion with that arm. No pain, just can't lift it over shoulder height and has next to no real strength. So I suggest you finish the physical therapy and you should be just fine.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

my grandpa had both of his knees replaced. he recovered pretty quickly, and actually gained a couple of inches - his knees were so bad that his legs were bowed. was a vast improvement for his quality of life, but i cant really tell you much more than that im afraid
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

After a fairly significant auto accident 5 years ago....the top half of my Fibula (It was considered too badly damaged to even allow to heal on its' own) and my kneecap are no longer my own. In my case - the toughest part was (technically) learning how to walk again - since until I rebuilt the muscle - my left leg had the tendency to "bird walk" (meaning my leg would bend the opposite way at the most inopportune times)

Fully healed now, and it doesn't restrict me in any way. However my doctor has warned me that I have about a 50/50 chance of developing arthritis in that knee (possibly the worst place for it) and may need the cap replaced again in about 20 years (since it can be damaged fairly easily and significantly)

I'm sure you will notice the same thing though...it feels just very weird - and even after 5 years I find my hand wandering down to my knee all the time - rubbing it - pushing and prodding - for no real reason - except that it's...weird!

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    My shoulder is bone on bone - this causes great pain. And sit's really far back in the socket, almost out of the socket, which limits my range of motion to less than 90 degrees.

What caused all this damage? A Combination of many things, I was a swimmer with loose joints for 15 years, I had a motorcycle accident a few years back that may have caused some damage, I had a dislocation at a very young age further loosening my joint. It really is a combination of things.
    Eh, generally the shoulder is a pretty "loose" joint. It has to get all the way around and lacks stability because of that.

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    No, but I have the feeling I will need one in the future, miles of walking carrying very heavy weights has token its toll.
    [Insert joke about having massive balls of steel to carry]

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    My father-in-law had his shoulder replaced about 5 years ago. He didn't do all the following Physical Therapy that he should have and now has very limited strength and motion with that arm. No pain, just can't lift it over shoulder height and has next to no real strength. So I suggest you finish the physical therapy and you should be just fine.
    Luckily in Philly we have some of the top physical therapists here and I know the value of PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Fully healed now, and it doesn't restrict me in any way. However my doctor has warned me that I have about a 50/50 chance of developing arthritis in that knee (possibly the worst place for it) and may need the cap replaced again in about 20 years (since it can be damaged fairly easily and significantly)

I'm sure you will notice the same thing though...it feels just very weird - and even after 5 years I find my hand wandering down to my knee all the time - rubbing it - pushing and prodding - for no real reason - except that it's...weird!
    From discussions with my doctor I will need it replaced multiple times in my life time.
    I've had knee surgery in the past and I find myself rubbing the knee quite often since the nerves are kinda screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Eh, generally the shoulder is a pretty "loose" joint. It has to get all the way around and lacks stability because of that.
    Right there is a proper shoulder joint then there is my shoulder joint, I could slide my shoulder almost completely out of joint. While swimming my shoulder would sublux and lock from how loose it was.