Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Framerate issues in wow GTX 680, Intel core i7 3.40GHz

Hello there chaps and chapettes, I have a problem/question which I hope can be answered here.

I have a pretty decent computer but my fps in wow doesn't seem to live up to my expectations.

I run most settings on high and some on medium and when I'm in the "old world" (kalimdor/eastern kingdoms), everything is lovely, getting 90-100 fps at those times. However when I'm in any of the areas introduced in mists of pandaria my fps can drop to as low as 40 with the same graphics settings. Now its expected to drop a tad due to fancier landscapes and such in pandaria, but I get the feeling that something isn't right when the fps drops to half of what it is in the pre-pandaria zones. It's more noticable in zones such as the vale of eternal blossoms and the isle of thunder.

I have a GTX 680 and an Intel core i7-3770 @ 3,40GHz along with 8gb of RAM.

So my question to you who are more technically inclined than myself is; should my computer handle wow better than it does, or is this the norm? What could I do to improve my fps, if anything?

I can add that it runs other games such as battlefield 3 or farcry 3 on max settings without any framerate issues at all.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :3

Lower texture filtering, multisampling and shadow quality, the rest of the settings you should be able to run at ultra without any problems. If your FPS doesn't go up with those changes, odds are you have some addons slowing you down or something wrong with the computer.

Also comparing WoW to BF3 or FC3 is just as pointless as comparing apples to oranges.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'll try lowering those settings and yeah I do realise they are so completely different games that you can't really compare them, but it was more for pointing out that the card seems to be working very well otherwise and that the fault most likely doesnt lie with it!

Thanks for your reply!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Lower texture filtering, multisampling and shadow quality, the rest of the settings you should be able to run at ultra without any problems. If your FPS doesn't go up with those changes, odds are you have some addons slowing you down or something wrong with the computer.

Also comparing WoW to BF3 or FC3 is just as pointless as comparing apples to oranges.
    In open world he should be able to run full ultra relatively smoothly, no? Open world isn't very intensive in comparison to raiding and as a result leans more to the GPU rather than the CPU. In any case, MSAA at 1x and shadows at high or medium should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    In open world he should be able to run full ultra relatively smoothly, no? Open world isn't very intensive in comparison to raiding and as a result leans more to the GPU rather than the CPU. In any case, MSAA at 1x and shadows at high or medium should help.
    There isn't a multisample 1x. It starts at 2x and goes up, or it is off. In order for multi-sample anti-aliasing, your video card blows the resolution up by a multiplier of 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and then scales it back down to your monitors physical resolution in order to give the effect of smoother edges of objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I lowered the MSAA to 1x and that did some difference, although ultra settings are still not "possible" for me to use in pandaria :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    There isn't a multisample 1x. It starts at 2x and goes up, or it is off. In order for multi-sample anti-aliasing, your video card blows the resolution up by a multiplier of 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and then scales it back down to your monitors physical resolution in order to give the effect of smoother edges of objects.

In WoW there is, 1x means none in WoW.

Also, AA doesn't make your GPU upscale your res to x2-16, 1920x1080 x 16 would crush your memory.
    http://alt.3dcenter.org/artikel/mult...ng/index_e.php
    Last edited by mmocf3173aaef6; 2013-04-12 at 04:15 PM.

Your problem is most likely the card down volting itself as it isn't being stressed enough

Download MSI afterburner, and in the options, set "Force Constant Voltage" to On, and your FPS problems should go away.
    The only thing that would potentially slow things down with everything set to Ultra is SSAO. Turn it completely off and compare frame rates with it on Fully.

Let us know how you get on.

EDIT:

As a pretty close comparison system, mine is a i7 930 at 4.0ghz, 16gb Ram, GTX 670

I run WoW in 6000x1080 on 3 monitors on a single card, and get 60+ fps absolutely everywhere with everything ultra except SSAO turned to Low.
    Last edited by Deezlar; 2013-04-12 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercible View Post
    I lowered the MSAA to 1x and that did some difference, although ultra settings are still not "possible" for me to use in pandaria :/
    You sure you are using latest Nvidia drivers and aren't forcing any settings in the drivers? It's best to leave it at default "let application decide" setting.

Also what you can try is turn both vsync and triple buffering on. In some cases your FPS will drop to half if one of those is off and one is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    I run WoW in 6000x1080 on 3 monitors on a single card, and get 60+ fps absolutely everywhere with everything ultra except SSAO turned to Low.
    Except 25 man raids.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Your problem is most likely the card down volting itself as it isn't being stressed enough

Download MSI afterburner, and in the options, set "Force Constant Voltage" to On, and your FPS problems should go away.
    The only thing that would potentially slow things down with everything set to Ultra is SSAO. Turn it completely off and compare frame rates with it on Fully.

Let us know how you get on.

EDIT:

As a pretty close comparison system, mine is a i7 930 at 4.0ghz, 16gb Ram, GTX 670

Any chance we'll see pictures of that setup in the huge post? ^^

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6892819793 <-- This worked for me.

''Go to wow install directory while the game is not running, open the WTF folder and edit config.wtf with any text editor, add this line on the botton [ SET fixedfunction "1" ] without the brackets, now save the file as it is (not as a text file!) and start wow.
    You will see a HUGE difference in FPS, although ofcourse all the mist and smoke effects will be gone, i dont think this really bothers me that much, since i could choose between either seeing smoke and mist everywhere with 12 fps, or no smoke/mist and having 50 fps..''

Hope this helps. (Also, when he says the mist and smoke effects will be gone, he only means the newly introduced, unimportant ones - I'm not missing out on anything due to this fix.)

Postscript: You have to set the config file as read-only, otherwise the change will revert every time you re-launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Any chance we'll see pictures of that setup in the huge post? ^^
    Hmm I dont have many pics/vids atm, but here is a couple of Youtube bits I did for a couple of games that look really great in tri-screen.. Testament to the power of a gtx 670 for doing it all on one card!

http://youtu.be/9i87K-ezKB0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRvVjd1Z2eE

Increase the quality to 1080p (And no dissing my Pink phone! )

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 05:56 PM ----------

Except 25 man raids.
    No major slowdown to be fair.. nothing that affects gameplay anyway!

Also what you can try is turn both vsync and triple buffering on. In some cases your FPS will drop to half if one of those is off and one is on.
    This right here seems to have worked, it's able to run on everything set to ultra (except SSAO) at 60 fps minimum.

Will now try MSI afterburner that Deezlar suggested, just to see what happens ^_^

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6892819793 <-- This worked for me.

''Go to wow install directory while the game is not running, open the WTF folder and edit config.wtf with any text editor, add this line on the botton [ SET fixedfunction "1" ] without the brackets, now save the file as it is (not as a text file!) and start wow.
    I could be wrong, but I thought the fixedfunction setting was to allow systems that were compatible with WoW be able to run the game without getting an error, or by turning off some features that allow outdated systems to function.

I'm not sure this is something the OP would need with his apparent new age system.

You sure you are using latest Nvidia drivers and aren't forcing any settings in the drivers? It's best to leave it at default "let application decide" setting.

Except 25 man raids.

I would do this ... a core i7 3770 with a gtx 680 should crush any settings in WoW.. I run on ultra with a 660 without any framerate issues what so ever. Unless you have a 2440x1600 QHD monitor you didnt mention what resolution you were trying to run at. Plus MSI afterburner is a great program to have anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by TechLife View Post
    I would do this ... a core i7 3770 with a gtx 680 should crush any settings in WoW.. I run on ultra with a 660 without any framerate issues what so ever.
    Except in 25 man raids as I said before.

Nobody on this planet has a PC that runs 25 man raids at higher fps than 60 100% of the time in raids with the big graphics setting slider pulled to ultra at 1920x1080 or higher resolution.

High end PC like i7-3770 and GTX680 can run it at over 60fps most of the time, but in raids it will still drop to 50's and even 40's sometimes, especially during aoe phases. 40fps is still totally playable, but claiming you do 60 is just lying.
    Trolling should be.

Nobody on this planet has a PC that runs 25 man raids at higher fps than 60 100% of the time in raids with the big graphics setting slider pulled to ultra at 1920x1080 or higher resolution.

High end PC like i7-3770 and GTX680 can run it at over 60fps most of the time, but in raids it will still drop to 50's and even 40's sometimes, especially during aoe phases. 40fps is still totally playable, but claiming you do 60 is just lying.

I never claimed I ran at 60fps I said I dont have framerate issues at all. Which means I never drop to the point I can tell my FPS is dropping. Also make sure you are running skada over recount. Recounts data input can cause alot of frame loss and even game freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by TechLife View Post
    Also make sure you are running skada over recount. Recounts data input can cause alot of frame loss and even game freezes.
    Even with zero addons nobody can run 25man raids at 60fps minimum. That still does not mean the same as the game being unplayable.
    Trolling should be.

Nobody?

I'm fairly certain that if I took one of the 32 core, 64gb machines from my work and gave it a gtx 690 to play with, it would easily manage 100+ fps in a 25 man raid.