Thread: SSD fragmented

Deleted

SSD fragmented

Hello. I'm aware that you should not defragment an SSD, so I've never done it. I've only had this new build for about 3 weeks and while my HDD is 0% fragmented, my SSD is coming up as 40% fragmented. I'm just wondering if this is normal for an SSD that has windows on it. If not, then I don't know why it's so fragmented as I've only installed windows, a few programs and WoW.

Fragmentation doesn't really matter when all the data is stored on memory chips, it isn't like the SSD has to move its drivehead to find the next part of the particular file you are trying to read.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Fragmentation doesn't really matter when all the data is stored on memory chips, it isn't like the SSD has to move its drivehead to find the next part of the particular file you are trying to read.
    Well, not exactly like that, but for simplicities sake yes.

SSD's are not effected by fragmentation as they have no physical drive head that has to physically move around the drive to get fragments of data. Instead it pulls all it needs in one stroke from everywhere it needs simultaneously. De-fragging an SSD puts un necessary wear on the drive. Because it literally does nothing for performance.

Also, where in the world does it say it's fragmented? My Crystal Disk Info shows nothing regarding this. I assume under Windows Defrag?

Don't worry about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Well, not exactly like that, but for simplicities sake yes.

SSD's are not effected by fragmentation as they have no physical drive head that has to physically move around the drive to get fragments of data. Instead it pulls all it needs in one stroke from everywhere it needs simultaneously. De-fragging an SSD puts un necessary wear on the drive. Because it literally does nothing for performance.

Also, where in the world does it say it's fragmented? My Crystal Disk Info shows nothing regarding this. I assume under Windows Defrag?

Don't worry about it.
    Yes, in windows defrag.

Okay, thanks for the information.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will echo the other ones and say that it do not matter. An SSD can "instantly" read from anywhere on the disk, while a normal HDD have to physically move the thing that reads data.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Yes, in windows defrag.

Okay, thanks for the information.
    Does your windows defrag say that defragmentation is disabled for the SSD?
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    I will echo the other ones and say that it do not matter. An SSD can "instantly" read from anywhere on the disk, while a normal HDD have to physically move the thing that reads data.[COLOR="red"]
    I notice you put word instantly inside quotation marks because it isn't actually instant. The more fragmented the SSD becomes the fuller the disk map becomes, the more space is used up on the SSD for the disc map not to mention half empty sectors, and the slower seek times become even though we're only talking about microseconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I notice you put word instantly inside quotation marks because it isn't actually instant. The more fragmented the SSD becomes the fuller the disk map becomes, the more space is used up on the SSD for the disc map not to mention half empty sectors, and the slower seek times become even though we're only talking about microseconds.
    This is correct.

OT, what the OP didnt say is what version of Windows he had, if trim is enabled your drive should not be fragmented.

Deleted
    Disk Defragmenter was replaced with Drive Optimizer in Windows 8 (probably more of a name change than anything else) but one significant improvement is SSD handling. Optimising an SSD will run a TRIM pass instead of attempting to defrag it tidying up any blocks that may not have been TRIMed off at the time of deletion, for various reasons.

Deleted
    Check that your Windows OS has TRIM enabled. There is a possibility this may not be the case if you did not have AHCI (or RAID) enabled in your BIOS before you installed Windows (any version).

That said, fragmentation information from a normal fragmentation utility, like the Windows 7 one, is not useful for SSD. Indeed, if Windows 7 did detect any SSD drives, automatic defragmention would be disabled anyway.

All Windows 8 has done is essentially upgrade the defrag utility to make it "safe" on SSD drives. But it only does minor optimizations since TRIM support is enabled via normal operations in Windows 7.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-13 at 08:34 AM.