Thread: LFR Tanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    That's not really a shitty-tanks-in-LFR thing, I think it's a Monk thing. We've had this happen a few times in normal raiding with our Monk tank. His TPS is just crazy, and once he has vengeance... he often needs to stop autoattacking to not pull back. Our other tanks (he's tanked with a few different people) are good, too, so it's not really a L2P issue for them.
    Ye, best thing for it is a quick salv at taunt time if anyone can spare a gcd

Deleted
    I taunt because I know I will survive and I want the vengeance.

Deleted
    Most tanks that do this usually have no clue how to keep the aggro though, which makes it hilarious. Tbf I do dread going into lfr alone as tank more above anything. The amount of co-tanks with a clue who are not annoying seems to be really low in my experience, maybe 20%. Then add another 10-15% that you can talk to and who appreciate the advise you give or just the chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexanna View Post
    How isn't it? How does he know that he is being taunted off of? Unless he is running some kinda add on that calls taunts, then who's to say it isn't a matter of TPS?

And I'm not "dogging" him for it, just stating that isn't always the case.
    It does happen that many tanks confuse the two. The OP probably isn't but it definitely happens.

I had a friend who complained endlessly about another friend of mine always taunting off him. It was such a huge drama that I actually went and got one of those addons that announces taunts, and it turns out the other friend was taunting zero percent of the time. He just had better TPS.

But anyway, that's another issue. The tanks in LFR do seem to needlessly taunt. Then of course the boss is taunt immune when you actually need to swap.
    Fair point -- I did post with the assumption the OP knows for sure he/she is being taunted off of rather than out-threated, based on: the wording of the post (particularly that it's happening "on cooldown"), because several others have shared the same experience (but, again, I'm assuming they know for sure it's taunting and not threat), because I've experienced the same thing (and I'm sure it's taunting -- when I'm way ahead on threat and doing much more damage then suddenly lose threat, I check the mob debuff bar and, sure enough, there is a taunt on it).

But, again, even with the stock ui you can see the taunt debuff -- no need for an addon. I think maybe the case is that often LFR tanks don't have any kind of aggro addon and when they don't have aggro they assume a dps has it (although the default ui / raid frames do show who has aggro -- not perfectly [I'm not real sure why it doesn't always show -- thought it had something to do with range but it's not always the case]).

But then there is the whole matter of tank swap fights where these LFR tanks keep aggro even when tank swaps are necessary, and die to debuffs.

My big somewhat-related gripe is when I'm tanking rare elites on the Isle, and some Hunter or Warlock comes up and refuses to turn their pet's taunt off. I don't know about Hunter pets (but I don't think they get any kind of Vengeance or anything similar to what Void Walkers/Lords do ?), but I know actual tanks get more damage from Vengeance than Void Walkers/Lords do from being attacked (my main is a Warlock).
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Vengeance yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    On the very off chance i go into lfr its usually on my paladin to tank, and im not sure if its just me sucking it up or what but it feels like i always get into the group with the offtank that just taunts anything and everything on cooldown. I dont know if its just me or what, has this happened with any of you at all?
    Just let them die with too many stacks of x. Then let them die again and again. You can bubble most nastiness off. They'll learn eventually. If they don't they can enjoy the repair bills.

Deleted
    That's not really a shitty-tanks-in-LFR thing, I think it's a Monk thing. We've had this happen a few times in normal raiding with our Monk tank. His TPS is just crazy, and once he has vengeance... he often needs to stop autoattacking to not pull back. Our other tanks (he's tanked with a few different people) are good, too, so it's not really a L2P issue for them.
    Monks and Guardians in particular yes. Due to the dps stats that are so much better for us than Dodge/Parry. What happens in LFR with tanks, isn't just about L2P or taunt spam imo. It's a mix of class balance when it comes to TPS, the difference in gear (yes, some people have shit gear and shouldn't be there in the first place...). If I went into LFR on my Guardian, I'd guarantee you that the other tank wouldn't be able to hold threat even while spam taunting. But that doesn't mean he's bad, it means that I would most likely outgear him by miles and it means that my class in addition to my gear is god mode when it comes to TPS.

That said, there's a lot of really bad tanks in LFR. The only reason you might notice them more, is cause they play a key role and can't hide their mistakes like the rest.

As a monk tank, I can confirm that our aggro can be pretty insane. Once the boss is taunted off me I'll often have to just sit there auto-attacking for a long time before I can start my rotation up again without having to worry about pulling the aggro back. If it's a fight where the raid will be popping Hero right away, I'll ask the other tank to let me pull first otherwise they have no chance of holding the boss while I use my normal rotation.

Also, I recently found an addon that helps deal with pet taunts called BadPet. It'll automatically whisper any player when their pet taunts in a raid... VERY handy.

LFR groups are always chaotic.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everytime I queue I go into it thinking I'll be solo tanking everything because of all the bad tanks. 90% of the time I'm right and I end up solo tanking everything even if the other tank taunts they lose threat again right after the fixate because they can't put out the threat to keep aggro.

10% of the time it's actually a surprise when I get tanks who know wtf they're doing and all.

Vengeance screws over even the best intending tank. As many have mentioned, to not pull aggro back, often tanks need to stop their attacks. Asking that of a LFR tank...... Well, it really does help to not assume right away the other tank is an idiot. My tanky friends often whisper the other tank and they can get stuff sorted. I rarely hear him complain anyway.

Well I'm a Paladin and Paladin threat is the second worst out of the Tanks so I'm used to getting aggro taken off me simply because they can build so much more aggro than I can. I'm a good Paladin, I'm Hit/Exp capped and I've got a lot of Haste and I know I'm hitting all the right buttons (I know the class pretty well) but we just aren't so good at quick threat building. Once we stay on a target for long enough then it's hard/impossible for like Monks or DKs to pull off without taunting, but if we're tanking trash with a DK or a Monk or even a Druid we might as well AFK.

Deleted
    more fun going lfr as a holy pally with clemency tbh - oh the fun with tank rages

Quote Originally Posted by Tsune View Post
    Also, I recently found an addon that helps deal with pet taunts called BadPet. It'll automatically whisper any player when their pet taunts in a raid... VERY handy.
    Thanks for that tip will look it up.

Don't mistake Taunting for your lack of TPS. I myself play a Blood DK, and I'm Hit/Exp cap'd. Meaning my threat is where it should be, and if you're under caps I'll pull shit right off of you.
    As much as you probs like to think this is you being better than the other guy, this is not the case. Tanks need to look at omen, it is your job NOT to pull agro when a tank switch happens. Don't go all out when you're not tanking the boss and omen shows you at 108%. assuming the other tank isn't a complete mouth breather or very heavily undergeared and you pull agro with your standard tanking rotations, it's your fault not the other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsune View Post
    I think this addon goes off at least once every time I go into a LFR. It's kind of ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    On the very off chance i go into lfr its usually on my paladin to tank, and im not sure if its just me sucking it up or what but it feels like i always get into the group with the offtank that just taunts anything and everything on cooldown. I dont know if its just me or what, has this happened with any of you at all?
    It's funny you should mention this, because I run a mod that announces to my raid when I taunt and whispers me when someone else does. The last time I did lfr on one of my tanks my chat box was literally filled with spam saying: mob was taunted by X. On the other hand, I find it funny when these taunt tanks get mad at me for out-threating them and then accuse me of taunting.

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Although I suppose I'd rather have the taunt spammer than the guy who doesn't speak English and has no idea how to play the game. At least the taunt spammer can comprehend what you're saying while you call him a moron.
    Quoted for truth

/cancelaura vengeance

If threat becomes a problem I find this useful especially for a monk. This way you can keep attacking after the other tank taunts.

I've never really had an issue tanking in LFR except once. And that was the OT being useless and the healers not healing at all. As in, first 15 secs straight of Vizier in HoF I didn't receive a single heal, despite no other raid dmg going out, and I died. Got kicked because of it. (That was like the 6th time I had died already, bc the OT had refused to take the Shield Masters and let my Brewmaster just get chain-stunned with ALL the trash on her every time.)

I don't mind the taunting thing, as usually its bc they aren't sure if you're any good or not. If I really feel its an issue I'll just send them a PM about splitting pulls. I've honestly almost always had amicable tanks with me in LFR. And it's almost unheard of for the tank to get booted from LFR, since they are hard to replace.

15+ Year Old Account
    How isn't it? How does he know that he is being taunted off of? Unless he is running some kinda add on that calls taunts, then who's to say it isn't a matter of TPS?

And I'm not "dogging" him for it, just stating that isn't always the case.
    Raid Buff Status will indicate when a boss's target has changed due to it being taunted and whether it's a tank or dps. Regular threat changes won't display. Anyone can run it.