Smile Tortos HC 25 man (Resto)

So like... I'm wondering if any Restoration Shamans here have done Tortos HC or are progressing on it right now who could give me any advice on how to heal effectively here. I don't normally ask for help but this really does seem like the ultimate "fuck you, Resto Shamans!" fight and I'll be lucky if I can even beat tanks and Shadow Priests on healing meters the way we're going!

Okay, we only had a couple of pulls and they were fairly quick wipes. I understand the crystals. But between dodging all the rockfalls, turtles and having to refresh my crystal shell stacks (I can already track everybody else's stacks on Grid) it seems there's very little time for me to do any actual healing.

First of all: Is there a more effective way to refresh my crystal shell stacks than actually having to run to a crystal and melee it? Lightning bolts take too long... Searing Totem might work provided my HP isn't low... but if there are any better ideas, let me know!

Second of all: Besides my CDs, is a Resto Shaman gonna bring much to this fight in terms of actual healing throughput? Or am I just gonna be there for Mana Tide/Healing Tide/Stormlash?

Spiritwalker's Grace will help but obviously it's a short-lived CD on a relatively long cooldown. Besides that, HST and the odd luckily placed Healing Rain, it seems my healing here will be abysmally low (compared to the other healers in my guild).

I dunno why I'm making this topic really. I consider myself a decent Resto Shaman but I'm wondering if other Resto Shamans have any tips and tricks I may have missed. I thank you in advance if you have advice!

Cheers,
    Neppy

Edited to say this is for Resto Shamans in title!
    Last edited by Nepinator; 2013-04-12 at 08:29 PM.

/target direhorn
    /target humming crystal
    /cast purge
    /targetlasttarget

i use this macro for both h horridon and tortos. can't answer rest for you tho

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    /target direhorn
    /target humming crystal
    /cast purge
    /targetlasttarget

i use this macro for both h horridon and tortos. can't answer rest for you tho
    I use Flame Shock myself. Cheaper and longer range. I use same kind of macro though, it works flawlessly.

As a sidenote, on Horridon you should definitely use Flame Shock for the pink elephant. Your searing totem will start shooting it and bounce it 100 yards away This works for resto only though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Oh, Purge works on crystals too? I have that exact macro (but without the crystal part, haha). Thanks for the tip, and I'll switch it up to Flame Shock too (will save me alot of mana if my Searing Totem'll hit the Direhorn as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I use Flame Shock myself. Cheaper and longer range. I use same kind of macro though, it works flawlessly.

As a sidenote, on Horridon you should definitely use Flame Shock for the pink elephant. Your searing totem will start shooting it and bounce it 100 yards away This works for resto only though.
    I've played both specs on Horridon and it works for Elemental as well. Although it really sucks having your searing totem not hitting the boss, sometime it will just focus the dino even after reapplying a couple flame shocks to over targets. It still pushes it back fairly far sometimes. It really varied from attempt to attempt.

In terms of Tortos. I was resto for our first kill and I was on the bottom.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4888&e=5459 Here is our healing meter from our first kill.I only barely beat out our prot pally. Because of how mobile we had to be I used RT glyph and just tried to hot the raid basically. I used my HTT after a quake to try and heal the raid up and get their crystal buff stacked up. Ascedance after another just to try for survivability. I basically didnt bother trying to refresh my crystal/shield until the rockfall stopped after 10 seconds after the Quake since it just kept falling off. Id use SBT for added protection. I'd just flame shock it, purge it or UE on the crystal.I HST on CD. Just trying to stay mobile and hot the raid while focusing on tanks.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Nepinator View Post
    Second of all: Besides my CDs, is a Resto Shaman gonna bring much to this fight in terms of actual healing throughput? Or am I just gonna be there for Mana Tide/Healing Tide/Stormlash?
    You can do actual throughput if you spec into elemental mastery, stack with your melee and keep rain up on them, and pop EM with Ascendance off CD.
    I cant post links yet so you have to add to worldoflogs to it /reports/rt-hcb7xqao5j8ma8j3/sum/healingDone/?s=5411&e=5917 Also wouldn't recommend glyph of RT waste of a global you could be doing something more beneficial than a weak hot.

Deleted
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7...?s=2368&e=2965

Keep rain down, on each quake pop ascendance, HTT & SLT respectively, fill with healing wave and keep riptide on cd. Wouldn't recommend using glyph either myself but it's more of a personal choice. Unless you're tank healing. oh and don't bother with chain heal.

Deleted
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...5sm%C3%A4starn
    125k HPS. It's 10 man though, but you want to play it the same way. Only difference is that healing rain is gonna be more effective. I'm just gonna explain how I play on this boss:

Opener: UE + prepot + HST. Wind shear the crystal to get the shield. Get a boosted healing rain out (preferebly in melee in 25 man, I guess).

Mid-game: Spread riptide (unglyphed). Keep HST up on cooldown. Then just use whatever single target heal that is needed for the situation.

Stomps: Rotate your cooldowns and combine them with an elemental (if you're playing with primal elementalist). I pretty much always use Spiritwalker's grace along with Ascendance to get maximum healing from it. Make sure to get a healing rain down just before the stomp hits.

Here's a video of my last kill: http://www.twitch.tv/tjoffman/c/2155993
    Last edited by mmoc843d0e919e; 2013-04-14 at 10:31 PM.