Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy vs disc ToT

Is there any boss (state if it's normal/heroic or 10/25 please) in throne of thunder that you people are holy instead of disc?

Mostly doing normal 10 man normal modes on this priest alt, want to find more use of the holy spec.

All fights are good as holy except horridon i think most holy priests go disc there, at least i know i do, otherwise I'm holy this is in 25m.

I would say Holy is highly preferable on Heroic Tortos, though I've only done Heroic 25 so not entirely sure how the specs weigh up on Heroic 10 but I'd imagine it's the same story considering the mechanics are the same.

Deleted
    Disc all way down the road for 10M, 40k+ additional raid dps (before damage modifiers on bosses) is noticeable while the rest of your team gears up.

Disc is more benefical overall, except on tortos and holy's contributions are probably not even needed there anyway. disc has raid dps, disc has tank heals, disc has a damage reduction cd and spirit shell which is a better cd than any cd holy has. And unless there is constant high damage going on, disc has more hps.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen...another one of these!

10man, you're probably fine so long as you dont't play a Resto Sham. (Not a knock to the class...but kudoes if'n you get my underlying point )

Nope, holy priests are even worse than resto shamans in 10man.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy isnt made for 10 since they cant ST & AoE heal well at the same time because of how Chakra works, wich is kind of important in that raidsize. Also, you would be pretty much nuts to loose out on Disc abilitys to dps and smartheal at the same time and ofc prevent dmg. I can imagine that in 10 you will need to mix spells more (cast more ST heals) and Hpriest cant really deal well with ST healing well manawise either.

For 25 my opinion is you will always want atleast 1 Disc and a couple of Paladins and a Rest Shammy for raid CDs, absorbs, good tankhealing, HP buff, MTT and the other spots can be filled with Rdruid/Hpri/Monk or any class or specc rly.

The point Im trying to make is clear I hope. Doesnt mean they are bad at healing, they just lack utility/abilitys to be as "needed".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    Nope, holy priests are even worse than resto shamans in 10man.
    On any fight where shamans can't use HR properly holy priests will win by a huge margin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saryn View Post
    On any fight where shamans can't use HR properly holy priests will win by a huge margin.
    For raidhealing yes, excluding that shamans still have far superior utility. Having your healers/tanks provide utility/raid cds is probably even more cruical in 10 than 25 man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    For raidhealing yes, excluding that shamans still have far superior utility. Having your healers/tanks provide utility/raid cds is probably even more cruical in 10 than 25 man.
    Yup, being a 10man raider in ToT I barely even find myself going holy, it could probably keep up with discs HPS and numbers on several fights but it's simply not worth losing the added dps (45-50k can make a big difference) and the extra utility. For 10 man it's basically pointless going holy atm.

Aside from that the current fights are still too "burst raid damage" oriented (tortos, megaera, lei shen, council, jin'rokh, ...) disc can cover alot of this where as holy's sustainable throughput is barely put to optimal use.

Deleted
    Well, I'd imagine that holy could pull ahead of disc on hc tortos and maaaybe megeara, in 10 man, but that's about it. For 25 man holy is in a better spot, but still basically just a weaker version of mistweaver, so I really don't see why you'd want one. The only real use of the spec seems to be to let discs spec into it for the few fights where discs lower output really shows in 25 hc (and even then the lack of utility probably means that you are better off sitting the priest/sticking to disc).

I'm a bit curious about the viability of holy dps in 10 man, with you going full healer for short periods (in some fights in sanctuary). I did this a bit in the last tier, and it was incredibly strong on some fights. Shadow being significantly ahead of holy dps now (unlike t14) does make it weaker, but I can still think of several fights where this could be very useful.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-04-14 at 03:19 PM.

Deleted
    Depends on what your job is tbh, Holy is just fine in 10 man. Running disc, holy priest & Druid in 10 man atm. Doing just fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cookie, Holy with Mastery, 15k Spirit and healing talents won't do so much dmg as you think, especially ST. Disc became very strong with the Crit build and the buff to Penance though.

I always love to see Disc pointing at Holys Chastise as if it justifies Atonment being too good.

Holy in terms of raw healing can pull ahead on occasion, but raw healing is not all that useful. Holy lacks utility in all areas and doesn't do what MW monk or resto druid can't do better. Disc brings a considerable amount to the table when played properly. Skills like Spirit Shell and Power Word: Barrier nearly nullify mechanics, and Atonement deals a respectable amount of raid dps as well as being a great smart heal (even better on damage modifier fights)

Holy is not bad by any means, they just bring nothing really stand-out to the table

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's what I play per fight:

Jinrock: Holy; Heroic: Holy
    Horridon: Disc
    Council: Disc
    Tortos: Disc; Heroic: Disc
    Magaera: Disc
    Ji-Kun: Either; Heroic: Disc
    Durumu: Either
    Primodius: Either, though I prefer Holy
    Animus: Disc
    Qon: Disc
    Twins: Disc (it's so OP, almost every heal doesn't give the debuff, it's really rediculous..., PoM, Cascade, Atonement, Divine Insight PW:S)
    Lei Shin: Disc

Overall, the benifit of another 60-80k DPS in a 10man is just too much to sit. There are a few fight tho where I prefer Holy's burst AoE (H Jinrock and Primodius), but in general, Disc is just really nice like usual for 10 man.

I did Holy DPS on our first H Jin'rohk kill, let's see, I did... 55k DPS with bursts up to 85k. Disc can do more, but I needed Divine Hymn cause people were retarded in the AoE phase. It's do-able, but with the Chakra swap forced mechanic, it hurts.
    Last edited by h3lladvocate; 2013-04-15 at 07:55 PM.

Holy Priests are pretty decent on Heroic Tortos for quickly maxing up the shields. Also the HoT will help replenish the part of the shield that gets consumed by Rockfalls.

Apart from that, I see Discs all the time.

at previous poster: How would it be bad to have Spirit Shells up for every Thunderstorm? And wouldn't Disc DPS as much as Holy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolucion View Post
    Holy Priests are pretty decent on Heroic Tortos for quickly maxing up the shields. Also the HoT will help replenish the part of the shield that gets consumed by Rockfalls.

Apart from that, I see Discs all the time.

at previous poster: How would it be bad to have Spirit Shells up for every Thunderstorm? And wouldn't Disc DPS as much as Holy?
    It would be fine, our problem was people smashing into orbs, so DH + Lightwell was a better choice, since that was really good at healing the derp. Either Priest can max shields pretty easily with Halo/Cascade alone. I prefered Disc for better tank healing, but Holy works easily there as well (also Holy + Resto Druid wouldn't have been a great combo)

Deleted
    holy does not have slightly more throughput than disc, it has massively more throughput, we are taking 25% more throughput. However holy is very sensitive to overheal. If the fight is too bursty then holy suffers.

Spirit shell up on thunderstorm just does not happen. You get constricts and the debuff ending just as you enter the phase, so your spirit shell will be taken down even if you save it just for that. The uses of spirit shell on Jin'rok is to help prevent the usual deaths from focused lightning being kited through some DPS at the same time as constrict hits. The main advantage disc has over holy in this phase is that atonement can cover the entire fight area during thunderstorm no matter where you are. In general though holy and disc are equivalent of jin'rok 25man hc and normal.

For other fights it depends on whether you are taking a minimal healer team or not. If the raid is topped up most of the time then holy suffers too much from overheal. If there is always damage available to heal then holy is good. When you have long high damage phases holy is the best spec.

Horridon 25man hc and normal disc is great, because the fight is just too bursty and atonement is too good for it.

Council 25man normal both specs are completely equivalent. If you have too many healers it is better to go disc. I go holy even though we have too many healers, because I find that the damage is not so predictable and disc is weak at reactive healing.

Tortos 25man normal. Disc is better, because the fight is just too bursty. Go stand in melee range (preferably be in a melee group) to minimise being thrown around by the turtles during spirit shell. The hc version due to the new mechanic holy is much better than disc.

Ji-kun 25man normal, disc is better because atonement can cover the entire platform and you have a damage buff for atonement.

Durumu 25man normal, I prefer disc, because there is but a single short high damage phase in the fight and it is short. If you are running with a skeleton healer crew or your raid takes excessive damage during the lights phase, then holy is equivalent.

Primordious both specs are equivalent. I don't like disc here so I go holy.

Dark Animus disc is better due to atonement.

Iron Qon 25normal. Holy is better to high raid damage

Twins 25normal. Specs are equivalent, but i prefer holy, because the damage is not very predictable.

Lei shen 25normal, disc is better because the fight is very bursty.

Overal on 25 man normal the fights where disc clearly performs better are Horridon, Tortos, Jin-Kun, Dark Animus and Lei-Shen. The specs are equivalent or holy is better on the remaining fights.

Disc on everything especially if 10 man. Adding another half dps helps extremely.