Poll: At what age does a game become a "classic".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Cataclysm was an instant classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pokemon is over a decade ago now? Jesus. It's still in the "new crap" folder in my brain.
    Yeah, it still freaks me out that Halo is older than both my nephews.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    No its not. A game coming out every year. Worse and worse with the only goal to milk money is NOT a classic
    The first call of duty was a classic, when it came out for PC there wasnt very many FPS games with that kind of immersion or story telling.

Doing the Stalingrad mission and getting air attacked by Yaks or whatever the soviets flew in WW2 was exhilarating and I know the series is garbage now, but the first one really was a great game.

Basically a game that is so well done, received and most importantly makes such an impact in a particular genre, it becomes an "instant classic". An example would be in the adventure game genre. A recent game, The Walking Dead has and is already becoming an "instant classic". Why? It changed the way adventure games were done and combined with the fact that the game beat out massive budget first person shooters to win game of the year at Spike and was dubbed game of the year by many other sites and magazines, you can see why all that alone has people calling it that. It is probably still going to be talked about as probably the best adventure game ever made 10+ years later.

would it be possible for games like black ops 2 or dead space 3 to become a classic? im not thinking itd be anytime soon but maybe from now to like the 2020's or even 2030's

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the game imo, some games are easily recognizable as "instant classics" (excuse the oxymoron). In general, I'd say 5-10 years tho.