Thread: gvg in gw2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    competitive PvP was pretty popular for a while in GW1... not sure about now though

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play on jade quarry with the guild [emp] and we do WvW right before the reset quite often. Its kinda a side thing that is set up on forums and seriously needs to be added as a main feature of the game. We do 25v25 and its amazingly fun time!

It's boring and not true GvG, it's one zerg vs another and whoever can get the most TW uptime wins...

Can't really be GvG anyway when 20 other randoms can partake or join the battle either.

Deleted
    Actual Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2, what madness is this?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    You clearly don't know where the name comes from, please educate yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Can't really be GvG anyway when 20 other randoms can partake or join the battle either.
    personally I prefer allowing people to participate instead of locking other people out of content (GW allowed only 8 people from a guild to participate... what if a guild has 12 members?)

From my experience in WvW a guild with good cooperation amongst it's members can defeat most enemy-groups even with superior numbers. There is enough evidence of it, looking at very small groups who fought against zergs of randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    You clearly don't know where the name comes from, please educate yourself...
    Because "hurrdurr it's from the lore" isn't beaten enough as it is amirite. Not like adding anything from GW1 would be bad for the game. In fact it's bad not to add the cool stuff that was in GW1. The pvp community is in shambles right now, and more conquest maps isn't making anyone happy. That's like MW3 adding more maps every week but still having shit unbalanced game play, people will try it for a week then get bored of the same old thing because it's not fun.

I think he meant Guild Wars as in, generally anything GW1. Either way, it could be said guild wars = guild battles. A lot of games call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    personally I prefer allowing people to participate instead of locking other people out of content (GW allowed only 8 people from a guild to participate... what if a guild has 12 members?)
    Then only the 8 best players in your guild should play, no?

Then only the 8 best players in your guild should play, no?
    this is exclusion, why only the 8 best? what about the 5 other members?

this is exclusion, why only the 8 best? what about the 5 other members?
    The other 5 should get better, no?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    I tire of this bullshit fanboy excuse. if I call a game ALIEN ATTACK and not a single being outside of earth is present, then people will go 'wheres the aliens?' then some moron turns around and goes 'oh, you shoulda read a book man its about the first alien war derp'.

sorry, guild wars 1 had both the NAME and the actual PVP to back up the name. GW2 has the name only. end of story.

The other 5 should get better, no?
    and what then? they take the place of 5 other poor members/friends.

and what then? they take the place of 5 other poor members/friends.
    Yes?

It all seem rather straight forward to me: Guilds field 8 of their finest players in a structured contest of skill and strategy.

If you have 9 member you still walk in with the top 8. If you had 9000 members, you walk in with the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    sorry, guild wars 1 had both the NAME and the actual PVP to back up the name. GW2 has the name only. end of story.
    and tons of guild wars happen all the time in GW2, without the exclusion the first game had. Guilds are awesome in WvW since they provide strong bonuses to their conquered tower. GW1 had one specific vision of guild wars, I find the new vision much better and improved. My view isn't important, still: there ARE guild wars in GW2.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 03:12 AM ----------

Yes?

It all seem rather straight forward to me: Guilds field 8 of their finest players in a structured contest of skill and strategy.

If you have 9 member you still walk in with the top 8. If you had 9000 members, you walk in with the top 8.
    shouldn't guilds be about playing together? All of the members? If a guild wants a contest of skill and strategy with it's best players, those players can still compete in tPvP.

and tons of guild wars happen all the time in GW2, without the exclusion the first game had. Guilds are awesome in WvW since they provide strong bonuses to their conquered tower. GW1 had one specific vision of guild wars, I find the new vision much better and improved. My view isn't important, still: there ARE guild wars in GW2.
    There are no GVG battles in the structured sense of Guild Wars 1 though.

Which is the topic premise here; serious GVG PVP.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 03:12 AM ----------

shouldn't guilds be about playing together? All of the members? If a guild wants a contest of skill and strategy with it's best players, those players can still compete in tPvP.
    LOL ok dude, walking into the zerg zone as a guild is now what you call guild wars LOL I mean dude serious, even stevie wonder can see through that horseshit. face the facts, anet are lazy, and didn't incorporate a staple which was in the first game. again, no wonder 2 of the 3 founding members left when they saw the hodgepodge pile of dung mike was pushing for.

There are no GVG battles in the structured sense of Guild Wars 1 though.

Which is the topic premise here; serious GVG PVP.
    I agree, the gamemode from GW1: GvG isn't available in GW2, but the fact that guilds can fight against guilds stands true, it's just implemented differently - so the argument that Guild Wars 2 has no guild wars is bollox. Anet had their reasons for not implementing it, they explained it in quite a few interviews, it has nothing to do with lazyness, so - for gods sake Infinite - go trolling somewhere else.

I agree, the gamemode from GW1: GvG isn't available in GW2, but the fact that guilds can fight against guilds stands true, it's just implemented differently - so the argument that Guild Wars 2 has no guild wars is bollox. Anet had their reasons for not implementing it, they explained it in quite a few interviews, it has nothing to do with lazyness, so - for gods sake Infinite - go trolling somewhere else.
    jeez man go have a cry. or better yet report me for speaking the truth. 1 dude in a guild could walk into WvWvW and go against 20 in another guild. by your excellent logic THAT is GvG lol one day, when you're all grow'd up, you'll understand the sun doesn't shine out of their ass. sorry if trolling nowadays is talking about the truth. I guess people are too sensitive about their purchases.

Erm, no.

Guilds are just organizing bodies [of hopefully like minded] players that set out to participate in content as the game rules allow. Guilds are not obliged to bring every member to the activity. Nor is that practical in a design, gameplay or real world logistical sense.

If the game rules state: 8 vs. 8, then a guild brings the 8 best.

If the rules state: 120 vs 120, the best 120 show up.

Etc, etc, et cetera.