New Mobo/Processor, Computer wont post

Got a new i7 3770 and z77 extreme 4 mobo and when I got everything set up my computer wont post, im using a 4pin instead of a 8pin which mite be it but I did the paperclip psu test and the psu works, I actually think it mite be my 8pin connector cause I tried this with my other motherboard and it never worked the same way. my old motherboard is a 4pin and that works fine. Can anyone tell me if my motherboard mite be bad or if its my processor/psu

my computer only turns on if I press the clr cmos button and only for 5seconds with the fans/lights turning on, doesnt power on with the power button.

Post a picture of the inside of the case so we can clearly see the cable installation and all.
    Do you used the riser between the motherboard and the case?
    Do you plugged the CPU Power?
    Are you sure that the cable goes in the right spot?

Use imageshack or imgur to host pictures

My computer did the same when I had installed all correctly, but forgot the plug the cpu power, on my mobo its 8pin

Edit 8 pin, not 6 my bad
    6 pins are pci-e
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-04-13 at 06:13 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Motherboards have either 4 or 8 pin extra power connector for the CPU. If there's 8 pin connector you must use either 8pin cable or the more common 4+4 pin, depending on what your PSU has. 6pin extra power connectors are meant for graphics cards and can not be mixed up with the CPU power connectors.

If you have old PSU with 4pin extra power only, then it can't be used with new motherboard that requires 8pin power.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Which PSU are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Which PSU are you using?
    using a corsair tx 750 from awhile back it has a 4x4pin but not 100% it works fully, i just know the 4pin worked on my other board

and the motherboard said u could use 4pin instead of a 8pin if u had it

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Post a picture of the inside of the case so we can clearly see the cable installation and all.
    Do you used the riser between the motherboard and the case?
    Do you plugged the CPU Power?
    Are you sure that the cable goes in the right spot?

Use imageshack or imgur to host pictures

My computer did the same when I had installed all correctly, but forgot the plug the cpu power, on my mobo its 8pin

Edit 8 pin, not 6 my bad
    6 pins are pci-e

believe me everythings plugged in corectly, as the computer does turn on for a second

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forelune View Post
    believe me everythings plugged in corectly, as the computer does turn on for a second
    That only means that the power to the motherboard is connected, not that everything is connected properly. My guess would be the 8 pin supplemental CPU power isn't connected, which is causing it to fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    That only means that the power to the motherboard is connected, not that everything is connected properly. My guess would be the 8 pin supplemental CPU power isn't connected, which is causing it to fault.
    I've already said that I'm using the the 4+4pin connector which means im using the cpu power.....

If it got an 8-pin, use an 8-pin. What do you mean it won't post? you hit the button and nothing happens? No fans spinning, nothing? Or do you get all the fans spinning and then it just magically turns off?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If it got an 8-pin, use an 8-pin. What do you mean it won't post? you hit the button and nothing happens? No fans spinning, nothing? Or do you get all the fans spinning and then it just magically turns off?
    yes exactly that, power button doesnt work but if i hit the clr cmos button it'll turn on for 5seconds with all the fans and psu working then magically cut off. i just went to buy a new psu and same problem.

Could you see if you got any bent pins in the CPU socket? After you have removed all but one RAM module and made sure the 24-pin/8-pin/PCI-e are all properly fastened of course. Do this and get back to me and I will be able to help you diagnose your problem tonight.

Could you see if you got any bent pins in the CPU socket?
    Can't really see those in socket 1155 without magnifying glass, but it's last resort anyway after all else fails.

After you have removed all but one RAM module and made sure the 24-pin/8-pin/PCI-e are all properly fastened of course.
    Yep, definitely sounds like something plugged into the motherboard is broken. RAM is most likely problem. Try also different slots for RAM sticks instead of just pulling one out when unplugging stuff.

Also are you 100% sure motherboard is not shorting anywhere? You have the metal spacers installed in all right places between the board and case?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Can't really see those in socket 1155 without magnifying glass, but it's last resort anyway after all else fails.

Yep, definitely sounds like something plugged into the motherboard is broken. RAM is most likely problem. Try also different slots for RAM sticks instead of just pulling one out when unplugging stuff.

Also are you 100% sure motherboard is not shorting anywhere? You have the metal spacers installed in all right places between the board and case?
    dont actually have any metal spacers but i tried putting my mobo on a anti static paper and trying it like that and no good, i tried different rams and no good, ill check the cpu socket

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 09:17 PM ----------

Could you see if you got any bent pins in the CPU socket? After you have removed all but one RAM module and made sure the 24-pin/8-pin/PCI-e are all properly fastened of course. Do this and get back to me and I will be able to help you diagnose your problem tonight.
    Ill check the cpu now, could the mobo just be died?

dont actually have any metal spacers but i tried putting my mobo on a anti static paper and trying it like that and no good, i tried different rams and no good, ill check the cpu socket

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 09:17 PM ----------

Ill check the cpu now, could the mobo just be died?
    Unlikely tbh since it does actually power up the fans etc. My bet is bent pins in the actual socket or a DOA gpu. You are not looking for bent pins on the CPU but on the CPU bed. You are 100% sure the 8-pin CPU cable is properly fastened?

Unlikely tbh since it does actually power up the fans etc. My bet is bent pins in the actual socket or a DOA gpu. You are not looking for bent pins on the CPU but on the CPU bed. You are 100% sure the 8-pin CPU cable is properly fastened?
    So to make sure I toke out the cpu and tried to start it, obviously it didnt even start up, put it back in and it started for 5seconds same thing as before, I looked real close and I think their are actually bent pins on the cpu socket not sure how cause i only tried putting it in once the right way. Will I be able to RMA this?

I wouldn't say anything about bent pins when you aren't sure about it, just that it doesn't work. If it really has bent pins it might not be RMA-able.
    Trolling should be.

That is actually not uncommon, if you come in at the wrong angle it can happen. Do you have toothpicks or one of those flossing toothbrush(must be non-conductive) thingies readily available? What I want you to do is sit down, get lots of light, if you smoke light one up, calm your nerves and make sure you don't have shaking hands. Very, very carefully push the pins back so that they align with the other pins. It's best to look at your board from an angle and not straight up and down while doing this. When the pins are bent back, breathe and take another look. If everything looks right, place the cpu very carefully back into the socket (this can be done with some thread and a piece of tape that you just guide if you don't trust your grip again, but it will be fine so don't bother), when you have it down, don't wriggle it or anything, lock it down carefully.

Note: Before you do any of this, place the CPU back into the socket, remove your video card and attempt booting with your integrated GPU. Do not try to bend any pins before everything is crossed of the list. If the pins have contact a slight bend don't have to cause it to not work. We just want to cross the GPU off the list before you go surgeon on your computer. The reason I'm telling you to try the operation yourself is you will have to explain and be believed that the MB came with bent pins to get it RMA'd. You will have a better chance to RMA it with broken pins as temperatures and a good bang to the box could have caused it.

Just for fun. Could you take a well lit picture of your CPU socket from an angle and post it here. I could tell you right away if you need to bend back pins or not.

That is actually not uncommon, if you come in at the wrong angle it can happen. Do you have toothpicks or one of those flossing toothbrush(must be non-conductive) thingies readily available? What I want you to do is sit down, get lots of light, if you smoke light one up, calm your nerves and make sure you don't have shaking hands. Very, very carefully push the pins back so that they align with the other pins. It's best to look at your board from an angle and not straight up and down while doing this. When the pins are bent back, breathe and take another look. If everything looks right, place the cpu very carefully back into the socket (this can be done with some thread and a piece of tape that you just guide if you don't trust your grip again, but it will be fine so don't bother), when you have it down, don't wriggle it or anything, lock it down carefully.

Note: Before you do any of this, place the CPU back into the socket, remove your video card and attempt booting with your integrated GPU. Do not try to bend any pins before everything is crossed of the list. If the pins have contact a slight bend don't have to cause it to not work. We just want to cross the GPU off the list before you go surgeon on your computer. The reason I'm telling you to try the operation yourself is you will have to explain and be believed that the MB came with bent pins to get it RMA'd. You will have a better chance to RMA it with broken pins as temperatures and a good bang to the box could have caused it.
    Ya I tried doing it with only intergrated HD and no good, still that doesnt explain why ive never been able to use the power button on the computer, even the power button on the mobo to start my computer, would the processor not being in correctly be the cause of that?

Ill try and unbend them but I had another problem on the board also. the 3.0 pci-e slot's holder broke off by its self so i've been using the 2.0 one, no biggie since i only run single gpu but i mite just try and rma this now

Ya I tried doing it with only intergrated HD and no good, still that doesnt explain why ive never been able to use the power button on the computer, even the power button on the mobo to start my computer, would the processor not being in correctly be the cause of that?

Ill try and unbend them but I had another problem on the board also. the 3.0 pci-e slot's holder broke off by its self so i've been using the 2.0 one, no biggie since i only run single gpu but i mite just try and rma this now
    Oh, that was a detail I missed. If your Power button is wired to the right pins and the board doesn't work it's more likely you have a faulty Motherboard. Just send it back. I would like to see that CPU socket still though.

The front panel connector may be wired differently between old and new motherboards. I had to rewire one of those recently to get it plug in correctly (and the connector wasnt even of the same dimensions).
    You could look up in the mobo manual that the wirings for your front panel correspond to your actual front panel buttons and LED's