Need a new motherboard, what to buy?

So my third Gigabyte Z68x has taken a dump on me. Gets stuck in "boot loop." It's a known problem with the motherboard. Anyways, I need to buy a different one now. I have an I7 2700k with a GTX 570. Whats available now? The Z77 chipset motherboards will work with my processor, right? Should I just stick with a different Z68? I'd like to have upgrade options for the future.
    Last edited by mtmer1; 2013-04-14 at 03:31 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are some good boards out there that can handle an 1155 socket chip Asus or MSI if you don't want a Gigabyte board, and it seems your chip has been discontinued according to Intel http://ark.intel.com/products/52214.. Also Intel have changed the form factor and have gone to an 1150 socket for its next midrange chipset.

Yeah, Z77 motherboards are compatible with your 2600K. What's your budget and what kind of features are you looking for (e.g. how many PCI Express ports)?

10+ Year Old Account
    besides the obvious questions of whats your price range and what country.. hope this link helps you get a better idea of where to start
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

Oops, I meant 2700k. Right now I have just the single video card but I would imagine I will pick up another 570 at some point before I build a totally new system. Budget isn't much of a concern but I guess I'd rather spend under $200. I definitely do not want another Gigabyte board. I will probably be buying an SSD drive at the same time I buy a new mobo. I don't need a ton of options.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maemae View Post
    besides the obvious questions of whats your price range and what country.. hope this link helps you get a better idea of where to start
    Yeah Asus have tended to be the best and you do pay for it, for if you want it to last a long time since not sure how long the 1155 cpu's have left to go ( in case your cpu packs up down the road ( does not happen that often ))..

In that case I'd recommend either the:

ASRock Z77 Extreme3 or
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Both have virtually the same features and both are around the same price. I've been using ASRock for a few years now and I'm a big fan, but ASUS is also great.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmer1 View Post
    Oops, I meant 2700k. Right now I have just the single video card but I would imagine I will pick up another 570 at some point before I build a totally new system. Budget isn't much of a concern but I guess I'd rather spend under $200. I definitely do not want another Gigabyte board. I will probably be buying an SSD drive at the same time I buy a new mobo. I don't need a ton of options.
    Might have misread that bit.. lol But even they are at the end of their life and have been discontinued as well http://ark.intel.com/products/61275/.. The problem if looking to future proof there is no way of doing that as they love changing things every year. Heck I am still running a I7 920 and Intel X58 Black Axe board and still going strong.. Even have a 570GTX in it lol..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Might have misread that bit.. lol But even they are at the end of their life and have been discontinued as well http://ark.intel.com/products/61275/.. The problem if looking to future proof there is no way of doing that as they love changing things every year. Heck I am still running a I7 920 and Intel X58 Black Axe board and still going strong.. Even have a 570GTX in it lol..
    I'm having a hard time trying to understand your point? The OP already has the CPU, he needs a replacement motherboard because his is dead. Sure, the 1155 socket is being discontinued, but it's not like the OP can go buy a 1150 CPU and motherboard right now, they're not available.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm having a hard time trying to understand your point? The OP already has the CPU, he needs a replacement motherboard because his is dead. Sure, the 1155 socket is being discontinued, but it's not like the OP can go buy a 1150 CPU and motherboard right now, they're not available.
    Not really my best wording of what was trying to get across.. But that getting a new board for an old processor if they are planning on getting a new system later on going by what the OP was saying in their second post.. Ok my bad there didn't know that Intel had pushed the release of the 1150 socket CPU back to June..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2013-04-14 at 03:58 PM.

I'd like to get at least another year and a half out of this setup. I built it at the end of 2011. I'm not wanting to upgrade my processor at this time. I'd just like a basic mobo capable of taking a 2nd gtx 570 and maybe a newer processor if I decide to upgrade between now and when I build something new.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to get at least another year and a half out of this setup. I built it at the end of 2011. I'm not wanting to upgrade my processor right now. I'd just like a basic mobo capable of taking a 2nd gtx 570 and maybe a newer processor if I decide to upgrade between now and when I build something new.
    If you can afford it from what others have said go Asus their boards are very good.

I'd like to get at least another year and a half out of this setup. I built it at the end of 2011. I'm not wanting to upgrade my processor at this time. I'd just like a basic mobo capable of taking a 2nd gtx 570 and maybe a newer processor if I decide to upgrade between now and when I build something new.
    Yeah, I'd say your system is capable of another year and a half at least, once you get a new motherboard. Both of the ones I recommended in my previous post are great choices. They are affordable, but full of features.

Yeah I am looking at those ones. Thanks