First time OC Question(s)

So I'm a complete overclocking newb and this is my first overclock.

I'm currently following this guide I changed all my settings to match, with the exception of CPU Load-Line Calibration (set to default) as I still can't quite wrap my head around what it is.

Currently up to 4.2 ghz, but this is without changing any other voltage settings (other than what the guide is set at). My max temp after a 9 hour Prime95 was 69*C with an ambeint temp somewhere between 20-25*C.

My question is this: Can I get to 4.3 on stock voltage (which I THINK I'm still on?) and once I do start having to bump up the voltage how much higher can I expect my CPU temps to go with an ambient temp between 25-28*C.

Actually, I think that was 3 questions haha.
    Build: i5 - 3570k @ 4.2 with CM Evo 212 * ASRock z77 Pro 3 * Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600 mhz * Radeon HD 7970 Ghz * XFX PRO 550w * CM Elite 430
    Currently Fermenting Rye DIPA * CDA
    On Tap DIPA * Orange/Mandarin Wheat * Chocolate Vanilla Robust Porter

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I get to 4.3 on stock voltage (which I THINK I'm still on?)
    Maybe? Try it and find out. I was able to get 4.4 on stock voltage (MSI Z77A-G41). If Prime95 is kosher, you're good, if not, it's not.

Once I do start having to bump up the voltage how much higher can I expect my CPU temps to go with an ambient temp between 25-28*C.
    It really depends, but personally I wouldn't worry too much.. Even if ambient temps went to say.. 30... 32? You'll never push the system as hard as Prime95 does. Ever. Prime95 is just a means to really chug your system to -ensure- that it's stable (and also as a means of proof).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Load Line Calibration:
    There is an inherent "power saving" mode placed in all modern motherboards that alter the voltages on the CPU based upon the load of work. Meaning if the CPU isn't doing much then it'll lower the voltages, it's a design meant to increase the longevity of your hardware.

This feature can cause instabilities in an overclock as your CPU will go from a low voltage-low load state to a high voltage-high load state and vice versa very often and very quickly.

Load Line Calibration is a feature which restricts this drop in voltage based upon a set range and is designed to combat this problem.

Rather than your CPU dropping to say 10% of it's voltages when under 0 load then back to up 100% when under load and creating an instability problem you can change this to 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%.

At 100% this'll mean that even under 0 load your processor is always receiving your overclocked voltages, this isn't recommend as it'll place a lot of unnecessary stress on your CPU and 25-50% is often fine.

Note: Some motherboards reverse 0 and 100%, so 0% means your CPU is receiving your overclocked setting 24/7.

Other stuff
    As a rule intel stuff runs hot. Breaking point is somewhere like 95-100C so you if you aim for the 80s when under load that's playing it safe enough.

69C at 4.2Ghz is good, you can probably get it up to 4.8Ghz if you were inclined. You've probably set the voltages to auto as getting to 4.2ghz on stock voltages is almost unheard of :P.

My post about LLC explains the idle temperatures. Without LCC at idle your PC reduces the voltages which in turn will reduce the temperature of your processor.

Without LCC calibrated your idle temperatures would be identical for a stock setting and for a 6ghz+ overclock as the voltages passing through the processor under 0 load would be identical and be very low. It's only when you put the CPU under load that the voltages go back up to your overclocked settings and the temperatures increase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    69C at 4.2Ghz is good, you can probably get it up to 4.8Ghz if you were inclined. You've probably set the voltages to auto as getting to 4.2ghz on stock voltages is almost unheard of :P.
    My 3570K ran at 4.5GHz on stock voltage.

Otherwise, great piece of text!

(Actually, it was auto, but never peaked above 1.08v. I'd say that's pretty damn stock. )
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-04-15 at 08:59 AM.

I would say you're fine for now, maybe see if you can up the multiplier to 43 on stock voltage. 69c is a nice temperature to work with tbh and you won't get a linear performance increase from OC anyway so you won't see a huge performance increase going from 4,3 to 4,5 anyway. A 3570K shouldn't bottleneck your graphics card at 4,2GHZ so I would say stop there and overclock your gpu instead, it will give you alot more performance at this point.