1. #59761
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,680
    Yea we call them black Since they just aren't African American lol.
    But don't use that very often since we don't actually have many black people, we have lots of aboriginals but of course we call them aboriginal.

  2. #59762
    Mechagnome Tommys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Yea we call them black Since they just aren't African American lol.
    But don't use that very often since we don't actually have many black people, we have lots of aboriginals but of course we call them aboriginal.
    Yea driving home last week I heard a radio report from the UK and they just called them black. Strangest thing ever. Made a ton of sense. Did the UK or Australia ever get into the whole slavery thing like the US did?

  3. #59763
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    Yea driving home last week I heard a radio report from the UK and they just called them black. Strangest thing ever. Made a ton of sense. Did the UK or Australia ever get into the whole slavery thing like the US did?
    We tend to call 'em afro-caribbean (african/caribbean).
    Black is still used but not as commonly.

  4. #59764
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,489
    + 8

    Haj PvM

  5. #59765
    Racism has got us to the point where merely pointing out a person's race feels racist.

    Chris O'Dowd will be in Thor 2!

  6. #59766
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,489
    Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Racism has got us to the point where merely pointing out a person's race feels racist.
    You so racist!

  7. #59767
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Inb4 infracted because of gore.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh yeah, hello btw.

  8. #59768
    Mechagnome Tommys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    660
    Hello newly arrive regulars.

    +9

    Still working

  9. #59769
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    My favorite is the dwarf or Rob.

    - - - Updated - - -



    One of the strangest things about calling people correct names is here in America we don't call black people black, they're African American. The term black isn't used that much and hardly ever in the media.
    We use both black and African American. Usually, you can tell who is deep down slightly racist by which term they use. If they use black, they're not actually saying anything about them besides "your skin is different than mine", if they say African American, they're usually saying it because "they don't want to offend". In my opinion, when you alter your speech or actions to talk to people of other races to "avoid offending them" that's racist.


    However, we have very few black people here, just a lot of Tongans.

    We have lots of Asians as well. ^-^
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "And nothing was ever heard from Deca again"

  10. #59770
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,680
    We also have a lot of Asians and pacific islanders Well, less pacific islanders here than in NZ but still.

  11. #59771
    Mechagnome Tommys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    We use both black and African American. Usually, you can tell who is deep down slightly racist by which term they use. If they use black, they're not actually saying anything about them besides "your skin is different than mine", if they say African American, they're usually saying it because "they don't want to offend". In my opinion, when you alter your speech or actions to talk to people of other races to "avoid offending them" that's racist.
    I always to chuckle myself when people avoid using skin color as a descriptor. Example; "did you meet the new girl?" "which one are you talking about?" "The one that has dark hair, and is of average height / weight". (very unhelpful) If they would just say the African American then I'd know instantly who they're talking about.

    Population in my small town in northern California is over 90% white. I was looking at local high school stats and they have two african american students and a handful

    No idea what I edited. Supervisor walked in and we talked. Totally lost control of edit box.
    Last edited by Tommys; 2013-10-10 at 04:24 PM.

  12. #59772
    High Overlord Celtic209's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    102
    +10

    Hai PvM

    So got to see Passenger last night live and it was pretty good. The downside was that we could only stay half an hour because the last bus home left at 21.45 and Passenger only came on at 8.45 So ya next time the GF wants to go see something Im planning it
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    In the last 8 games I have been part of, I have been scum 6 times, a scummy moderator once, and a scum lover once. If we are to extrapolate this, the town should jump all over me to lynch me since lynching me is a good deal 100% of the time!

  13. #59773
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    +10

    Hai PvM

    So got to see Passenger last night live and it was pretty good. The downside was that we could only stay half an hour because the last bus home left at 21.45 and Passenger only came on at 8.45 So ya next time the GF wants to go see something Im planning it
    Cool, I know hunty likes Passanger.

  14. #59774
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,489

  15. #59775
    Mechagnome Tommys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Cool, I know hunty likes Passanger.
    Webfilter denies me. What's passenger? A movie? I don't have TV service, so I don't know about movies.

  16. #59776
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    Webfilter denies me. What's passenger? A movie? I don't have TV service, so I don't know about movies.
    It's a band.

  17. #59777
    High Overlord Celtic209's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    Webfilter denies me. What's passenger? A movie? I don't have TV service, so I don't know about movies.
    Music artist - Look up "Let her go" on youtube when you get a chance

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    It's a band.
    Hes a solo singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    In the last 8 games I have been part of, I have been scum 6 times, a scummy moderator once, and a scum lover once. If we are to extrapolate this, the town should jump all over me to lynch me since lynching me is a good deal 100% of the time!

  18. #59778
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    Music artist - Look up "Let her go" on youtube when you get a chance

    - - - Updated - - -



    Hes a solo singer
    Oh, I didn't know he went solo, I thought he was still with the group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...ritish_band%29

  19. #59779
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    It's a band.
    lul u so baddie

  20. #59780
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    lul u so baddie
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Oh, I didn't know he went solo, I thought he was still with the group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...ritish_band%29
    Hurrderp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •