Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Power of Fistweaving

I just want to see how you monks out there experience the awesomeness that is Fistweaving!

I basically am able to do everything I want, dps, tank, heal.
    I have tanked normals with it. Topped dps charts in both dungeons, open world and LFR.
    Have never ever lost a duel in pvp. Etc, etc.
    I can't even remember the last time when I actually healed like a Mistweaver pre-patch.

So how are your thoughts on Fistweaving?

Laphog

Have you tired it in a hc raid?

Yeah pretty much what Tatuin said. Fistweaving is more for the DPS of it during downtime in heroic raiding (which will be about 50% of a main specs DPS in equal gear/skill on a single target boss) but the healing will be nowhere near enough so that it will allow you to constantly do it.

It's amazing 1v1, hcs etc - But you won't be able to fistweave for pure heals in hc raids, there's just no way - Not unless it's a 2 heal fight and u decide to 3 heal it with a fistweaver - That can actually balance it out a bit, but that's a rare occurence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Fistweaving isn't impressive enough to be a main healing mechanic. Definitely fun, though! In 520 gear I'm able to do about 80k single target dps (CJL spam, BoK/TP chi dump) with raid buffs. So it's really funny to go into LFR and be top heals and damage. Also great to make 5 mans and scenarios even quicker.

In heroic raiding I find myself almost never using it though. Even during low damage phases I tend to lean towards Soothing Mist spam.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yeah, Fistweaving isn't impressive enough to be a main healing mechanic. Definitely fun, though! In 520 gear I'm able to do about 80k single target dps (CJL spam, BoK/TP chi dump) with raid buffs. So it's really funny to go into LFR and be top heals and damage. Also great to make 5 mans and scenarios even quicker.

In heroic raiding I find myself almost never using it though. Even during low damage phases I tend to lean towards Soothing Mist spam.
    I'm 10 ilevels lower than you and doing 85-90k single without any damage modifiers other than raid buffs. When you say 80k dps are you including ReM and uplifting for aoe damage or are you taking pure DPSweaving?

I should also clarify. my 85-90k singletarget is with using ReM on CD, but only using attacks to dump chi, rather than uplift. The other heals in my group can usually handle the rest. This is all on a fight to fight basis, however. Some fights you pretty much have to traditional heal on.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

if you're top dps in lfr that doesn't sound fun since you'll mostly be wiping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    if you're top dps in lfr that doesn't sound fun since you'll mostly be wiping.
    Maybe for ToT LFR but for MSV/HoF/ToES LFR you can get away with everyone doing 40-60k DPS pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Laphog View Post
    Have never ever lost a duel in pvp. Etc, etc.
    Highly doubt that. You either played like 5 duels or played vs lower geared opponents or played vs noobs. Neither one would be too impressive. There are enough classes you can't kill in a duel since they have too many ways to regenerate hp (and yes I know how much damage a healmonk can do). Additionally against full geared opponents you are fistweaving like 20% of the time at best since you are cced or have to heal yourself the rest of the time (fistweaving heal doesn't even come anywhere close against full geared opponents to keep you alive). The only thing you can do against pretty much any class is not loosing by kiting, ccing and healing yourself mistweaving-style.
    This doesn't mean that healmonk isn't a very good duel char since 5.2. It is. On equal gearing you can probably win against half the classes and you can pretty much win against every undergeared one. Just wished people wouldn't tend to exaggerate and generalize so much. Information from forum posts - especially for inexperienced players - would be many times more useful then.

Yes I am not kidding. I have never ever lost a duel.
    Now I haven't duelled every class-spec combo, but I can assure you no biggies.
    Duelled all warrior/dk/rogue/mage/lock and others with tyrannical gear (ilevel 486+).

I don't do heroic raids since our server is so low populated that the time invested(if even possible to invest) would be borderline outrageous.

I've heard alot of people saying that Mistweavers in PvP are easy to shutdown. Yes, I will conceed to that, seeing that EVERY other Mistweaver I came across was a blatent soothing mist caster.

Many people have yet to realise the enormous amount of healing you receive when dealing damage, exponentially increased by damage modifiers.
    Even in certain raiding scenarios(normals) damage amplifiers on bosses render me more healing through damage than solely healing.

Even when TANKING heroics, between damage, mitigation through cc and Xuen. The healing is so outrageous that I never ever touch anything other then my instant heals.

SO this wasn't really a thread about how fistweaving fares in Heroic Raids. But generally IN EVERY OTHER situation it surpasses pretty much every other class I have in fun and shear strength.

That was my 2 cents, and I asked how you felt about it. Instantly ranting about what I said not being viable in HCr. KdjQ!
    Last edited by Laphog; 2013-04-15 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Im not a fistweaver hater, but i think you need to Fraps your evidence.
    Make a vid, showing your gear - their gear and then duel. If the fight is convincing, consider yourself sold.

But as an experienced fistweaver, whos tried PVPing with it - I can not back your claims.

So what happened? You tried to cast?

Well, I know alot of monks struggle with this. Seeing as I have never seen a monk do the same things like me.
    I also think Healing Spheres are generally underused, even in movement situations.
    And my gear doesn't matter that much, standard pvp gear with some tyrannical and the shado-pan PvE trinket, nearing 10k resilience.
    Last edited by Laphog; 2013-04-15 at 08:09 AM.

We've been over this a million times in this specific forum, but since you're new I'll cover the bullet points again.

1) Yes, Fistweaving does more DPS than any other healer is capable of.

2) Yes, smart healing while doing damage and being able to still move, dodge, and parry is good for things like duels and 5 man dungeons, however...

3) In arenas and RBGs, resilience and PvP Power make fistweaving worthless. In raids, range limitations, GCD limitations, and comparing to actual DPS makes fistweaving lackluster. Much like Healing Sphere, it seems very good when you first think about it, but in practice it's pretty bad and you won't see any real difference if you simply don't use it at all. It's fun to play around with and feel like we're doing something, but it's really not useful where it matters.

And really, don't come into this forum citing duels and normal 5 mans as anything serious, I might have an aneurysm.

And so you misinterpreteverything again, and seeing how you pretty much have no saying in how Mistweavers fare in pvp I will just call your post bullshit.

I am asking HOW others feel Fistweaving is. I think its fantastic.(see what I did there).
    I have great successes in both arena AND rbg's with it.
    Up to 1500 rating 1v2 in 2v2. Have had plenty of games in 3v3 where I could fistweave and outdamage another dps. And apart from that I am having a blast in every other possible situation outside of heroic raids, thats it. Not some propaganda you are making it out to be.

I am merely asking how people think Fistweaving is. I never see monks do it(the few that roam around) and in literally most forums fistweaving isn't being threaded.
    Last edited by Laphog; 2013-04-15 at 08:18 AM.

I have great successes in both arena AND rbg's with it.
    Up to 1500 rating 1v2 in 2v2. Have had plenty of games in 3v3 where I could fistweave and outdamage another dps
    I don't even.....

LFR, 1500 arenas, duels, normal 5 mans, these are all examples of things in which balance is irrelevant. Yes, fistweaving feels cool, and we do talk about it, you're just not around for those discussions. At the end of the day though, it's something like Mind Control or Holy Priest dps Chakra, you do it for shits and giggles but acknowledge that it's not actually useful.

Technically your post is irrelevant. Everything concerning PvP has massive balance issues. I am not here to talk about such things.

If you think its for shit and giggle thats your opinion and I respect that. I get a whole lot more out of it, guess thats it.

I hope your elitist mind has not been boggled by a mere casual player who actually has fun playing..

Technically your post is irrelevant. Everything concerning PvP has massive balance issues. I am not here to talk about such things.

If you think its for shit and giggle thats your opinion and I respect that. I get a whole lot more out of it, guess thats it.

I hope your elitist mind has not been boggled by a mere casual player who actually has fun playing..
    Ok, here's the thing: In forums people generally tend to express views that are (arguably) the best in "serious" circumstances. Of course you can jump around fistweaving in like low rated arena games or low rated RBGs and win some games and if you have fun doing it noone is stopping you. But then again you could like play low rated arena or RBG or whatever without using your shoulders and pants because you think it looks better and you have more fun that way. You would still win games.
    All this still doesn't change the fact that in "serious" circumstances (however you want to define it, highrated arena/RBG or whatever) fistweaving is far inferior to mistweaving + damaging with crackling jade lightning (even damage-wise. you are going to do more damage in a serious arena or rbg game with crackling jade lightning than with fistweaving). So, of course people who read this thread are free to play fistweaver. If they have more fun doing it than mistweaving I highly encourage them doing so, but they still "deserve to know" that if they want to get the most out of their char fistweaving is not what they should go for.

Deleted
    Fistweaving: good for heroic dungeons, scenarios and LFR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    We've been over this a million times in this specific forum, but since you're new I'll cover the bullet points again.

1) Yes, Fistweaving does more DPS than any other healer is capable of.

2) Yes, smart healing while doing damage and being able to still move, dodge, and parry is good for things like duels and 5 man dungeons, however...

3) In arenas and RBGs, resilience and PvP Power make fistweaving worthless. In raids, range limitations, GCD limitations, and comparing to actual DPS makes fistweaving lackluster. Much like Healing Sphere, it seems very good when you first think about it, but in practice it's pretty bad and you won't see any real difference if you simply don't use it at all. It's fun to play around with and feel like we're doing something, but it's really not useful where it matters.

And really, don't come into this forum citing duels and normal 5 mans as anything serious, I might have an aneurysm.
    jk Holy priests!!!!!!!!!

mod edit: Please post constructively and try to quote only parts you wish to elaborate on.
    Last edited by Luqt; 2013-04-15 at 12:19 PM.

Deleted
    I know our Mistweavers Fistweave in raids when they can, but I don't reckon ToT have presented many opportunities to do so

Your post is just as irrelevant, yet you still are graced with the ability to post it.

It's not "elitist" to tell you that fistweaving is fantastic against things that are easy, but rapidly loses effectiveness when you're faced with anything hard. It's great that you're having fun. Really, it is. But saying things like "The Power of Fistweaving" and acting as if it is the best thing ever created and crazy awesome is downright misleading.