Thread: Growl fix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Noob question: If the pet doesn't have growl on it's bar, but it's got a sparkly border on growl in it's spellbook is growl on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroomkin View Post
    Why would you ever MD your pet instead of the tank in a 5man? That just doesnt make any sense.
    Alot of the time your pet will be a better tank! If it dies and the mob goes for you, well thats your problem. If i'm tanking and a pet peels some mobs i just carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by rfarris View Post
    Noob question: If the pet doesn't have growl on it's bar, but it's got a sparkly border on growl in it's spellbook is growl on?
    Yes, Growl is on if has a sparkly border in your spell book regardless of whether you have it on your pet bar. Best bet, put it on the bar so it's easier to access and control.

We not only have misdirect, but we also have feign death. I've never once been hit by a mob in a 5 man in my 517 gear with a newbie tank, because I know how to do both those things. Not to mention I can binding shot stun all of them. All without using a buggy MD glyph.

On topic, removing Growl to "fix" people spacing out and forgetting to turn off growl is a bad idea, as it reinforces a bad behavior. I haven't had a pet taunt off a tank in years, even though I use growl in dailies, because I *pay attention*. Every time I enter a dungeon, I go through a checklist: 1) what buff would benefit the group best of the pets I have on me, 2) is that pet ferocity?, 3) is that pet's growl off? 4) am I in the right spec? 5) If I changed spec, is my pet's growl still off, since they save across specs?

I'm a baddie and pull aggro off of the tank after I've feign deathed. I've also had a tank pet out from my dailies taunt the boss.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

the 90% solution would be to just have growl default to off when you zone into a dungeon - or at least do it for a dungeon/raid finder dungeon.

Make the taunt a hunter instant cast instead of a pet auto cast.

Growl : The hunter commands their pet to taunt the target.

Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    What if Growl was simply removed from Cunning and Ferocity pets? With how easy it is to swap pet specs, I'm not sure what this would hurt.
    go troll some other forums pls

Infracted - Please post more constructively in the future and refrain from insulting other users.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2013-04-16 at 02:03 PM.

I tend to solo things with my pet in ferocity, so I prefer to keep growl the way it is.

I'm not sure I see the problem: You are basically asking to have a talent removed simply because some people don't know hunter basics?
    Just mentioning it usually fixes the problem, and VTK'ing someone who doesn't resolve the issue is always an option too.

How would this fix it? They'd just use their tanking pets in dungeons instead. And they'd be even less likely to switch to a proper damage pet.

Just install BadPet or one of the other addons that incessantly whispers the offending hunter every time their pet taunts. In the end it'll annoy them as much as it annoys you.

Deleted
    whats the issue? are hunters leaving growl on their pets in hcs/raids? its not hard to see if its on / off, dont think it should be removed from the other specss...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    How would this fix it? They'd just use their tanking pets in dungeons instead. And they'd be even less likely to switch to a proper damage pet.

Just install BadPet or one of the other addons that incessantly whispers the offending hunter every time their pet taunts. In the end it'll annoy them as much as it annoys you.
    I've tried this add-on before: It's great for stuff like LFR. They should make an Aspect add-on that notifies people which hunter is keeping pack on.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    Alot of the time your pet will be a better tank! If it dies and the mob goes for you, well thats your problem. If i'm tanking and a pet peels some mobs i just carry on.
    The pet is very rarely the better tank. This is the fail argument used by Hunters day in and day out. They have their pets running wild, they are misdirecting to their pets and then they are "derpa derpa look! My pet is a better tank than the tank!" Few things I enjoyed more than watching all the "Pro" hunters going into Brawlers guild getting ROFLstomped because they were counting on the pets ignoring everything and easy ranks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by think309 View Post
    It's kind of funny because when I try to solo old raids and stuff, it seems my pet can't keep aggro off me for anything, even with misdirecting often.
    What pet you using? I notice my cat holds aggro a lot better than my turtle, which is supposedly my tank pet.
    It's often really a tough call which one to use now. The turtle takes less damage, granted... yet the cat has a BR at full health.
    But I notice that problem too. Some targets simply ignore the threat. I always put that on the target tho, some don't have an aggro table.

I am with the others who said it already.... Growl is a hunter problem, and should not be removed. Stop being lazy or careless.
    Pay attention to your pets. And when you enter a raid/instance, for the love of God, make sure ALL your pets have growl off, and not just the one you have out. Stampede summons every pet with the exact array of spells that are active on that pet. If one or more of your pets have growl active, the stampede will use it, and you can cause more harm than good.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-04-16 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by think309 View Post
    It's kind of funny because when I try to solo old raids and stuff, it seems my pet can't keep aggro off me for anything, even with misdirecting often.
    That is weird since MD is not even on the GCD anymore and you can literally spam it without dps loss gaining zero threat for always and always forever. One of my favorite mop changes.

I have 2 rules when I tank in any 5 mans 1 if I don't pull the mob I do not tank the mob and 2 I do not taunt war with pets if it taunts off me Its your issue not mine and i will go to the next pack / mob

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    That is weird since MD is not even on the GCD anymore and you can literally spam it without dps loss gaining zero threat for always and always forever. One of my favorite mop changes.
    it has it's own cd though... so "spamming" is a little exaggerating

Quote Originally Posted by Forbbidenx View Post
    I have 2 rules when I tank in any 5 mans 1 if I don't pull the mob I do not tank the mob and 2 I do not taunt war with pets if it taunts off me Its your issue not mine and i will go to the next pack / mob
    This makes me giggle, because you're probably labeled a bad tank. You're probably the tank Dexx believes his pet is better than, because his pet somehow steals aggro from you, though odds are pretty good it's because they are not assisting you, but attack the mob off to the side.

Wait, do people even assist off tanks anymore? I may be doing it wrong cause I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    This makes me giggle, because you're probably labeled a bad tank. You're probably the tank Dexx believes his pet is better than, because his pet somehow steals aggro from you, though odds are pretty good it's because they are not assisting you, but attack the mob off to the side.

Wait, do people even assist off tanks anymore? I may be doing it wrong cause I still do.
    no, addon tells me who taunts and I hardly ever lose threat to pure dps out threating my paladin, its happened twice all MoP the way I usually lose aggro is pet taunt thats it

All you gotta do is make them unable to taunt anything in dungeons and raids.

It wouldn't even be an issue if half the hunter population wasn't retarded.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.