Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    BTW (offtopic) - gold buying sites sell for a 10th of the price. Just sayin.

Also (offtopic) - ANet isn't shy about issuing a permaban on any account that breaks ToS. Just sayin
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I dont even know if I should laugh or cry about this miningpick moaning. It would take like many YEARS to go a few coppers plus... lol. How sad
    Last edited by mmoc1319205971; 2013-04-18 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidal View Post
    I dont even know if I should laugh or cry about this miningpick moaning. It would take like many YEARS to go a few coppers plus... lol. How sad
    Agreed. Honestly at this point I think people are complaining just so they can say: OMG Anet broke another promise!!!11one. Pay2Win game!!!!!!

People would really read my original post and see the point I'm trying to make, instead of getting all defensive over the release of the item itself.

BTW (offtopic) - gold buying sites sell for a 10th of the price. Just sayin.
    No point trying, because you're arguing with people with this ingenious mindset:

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    The items that should be in the gem shop are convenience, and cosmetic items. This item fits the convenience role.
    As in, when you clearly point out that it is straight up motherfucking FACT that this goes beyond convenience, they are ready to jump to ANet's defense and make a variety of excuses for them. And then they will continue to slam their faces against the wall of logic while screaming that "AMG BUT IT TAKES 50K USES TO BREAK EVENZZ!!" ... completely missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Agreed. Honestly at this point I think people are complaining just so they can say: OMG Anet broke another promise!!!11one.
    Well... they did. Stop excusing them for their continued bullshit, you have nothing to gain by being a white knight. The number of people that don't care is more appalling than the fact that they did this. And it would be a bigger deal if they didn't already break all of their other promises...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-04-18 at 03:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Honestly at this point I think people are complaining just so they can say: OMG Anet broke another promise!!!11one. Pay2Win game!!!!!!
    Oh of course. And then you have the people who probably don't play the game at all having a page spanning argument that boils down to semantics, while insulting people who won't cave to their BS. Throwing out terms like fanboy to people who clearly don't fit the description in a vain effort to make their arguments somehow valid.

It's very sad, but also typical. They'd rather argue for hours on how this is definitely an advantage, knowing that their connotation is that Anet have crossed some unspeakable line and the game is going P2W, while other people have to repeat like robots that you'd have to farm nodes as your full time job for years before the position they are trying to say exists even comes true.

It all boils down to the fact that it is an advantage in the most literal sense of the word, but nothing that is going to affect the game in any meaningful way. And that's why talking about this for a bajillion pages has been mostly a waste of all of our time.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Oh of course. And then you have the people who probably don't play the game at all having a page spanning argument that boils down to semantics, while insulting people who won't cave to their BS. Throwing out terms like fanboy to people who clearly don't fit the description in a vain effort to make their arguments somehow valid.
    Preferable to being passive aggressive and avoiding discussion of (or misinterpreting the point of) the topic entirely, crying and running to mommymods...

Hmmmm... Yeah you've yet to point out how the stance of "this item provides an in game advantage" is wrong. Because you can't.

And that's why talking about this for a bajillion pages has been mostly a waste of all of our time.
    Dunno bout that, I've enjoyed myself. It's only a waste of time to people who can't express their point because they have no ground to stand on.

Here, I'll sum it up:
    No matter which way you slice it, this item crosses a line. A line that they have already flirted with to a dangerous degree since launch.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-04-18 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Dunno bout that, I've enjoyed myself. It's only a waste of time to people who can't express their point because they have no ground to stand on.
    No, it's a waste of time arguing with people who don't actually read or refute the arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    No, it's a waste of time arguing with people who don't actually read or refute the arguments.
    What arguments - the ones that are completely irrelevant to the point? As in, your favorite: "but it takes so long it doesn't matter!"

It's been addressed multiple times, it changes the game regardless of your unconnected "arguments." Between the acquiescence of people like you and the (assumed) success in sales of this item, ANet will be encouraged to continue with this trend. If the backlash is hard enough then maybe they'll reconsider, as they've done with a handful of other things. Luckily, there are enough cognizant players around to realize that.

Alright, settle down.

It's fine to talk about the pickaxe &/or the cash shop in this thread. There is no need to be insulting, passive aggressive or belittle anyone whatsoever in doing so. Check your passions at the doors.

This ain't world war 3 in text on the MMO-C forums.

-- Fencers

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Well... they did. Stop excusing them for their continued bullshit, you have nothing to gain by being a white knight. The number of people that don't care is more appalling than the fact that they did this. And it would be a bigger deal if they didn't already break all of their other promises...
    I'm not excusing them for anything I just don't agree with you which is my right. It doesn't offer you any in game advantage, it doesn't make you stronger or better than the next guy. It just saves you time and effort. It is not making the game P2W. The fact that this thread has gone on for 7 pages because of people like you arguing over it is just mind boggling to me. If you don't like what Anet is doing with the game don't play. It's really rather simple. But don't sit and bash them over every little thing because you don't like them. Seriously, you're saying burn Anet because they have an item that in 7 years will pay for itself.

Also, I'm not being a white knight, I actually am disappointed in the game I waited 7 years for but this is just beyond stupid.

I'm not excusing them for anything I just don't agree with you which is my right. It doesn't offer you any in game advantage, it doesn't make you stronger or better than the next guy. It just saves you time and effort.
    That, by definition, is making you better and gives you an advantage.

Saving you time and effort is an advantage over people that dont buy it, no matter how small. Anet promised that there would be 0 items that give any kind of advantage, period. Unless this item becomes attainable in game without gems, then they have effectively gone back on their word, thus starting the snowball effect. Saving you time an effort at the cost of gems as the only attainable method is an advantage, regardless if you think the in game gold cost conversion is worth it or not.

Its looking like China might be selling legendary weapons in their gem store according to their beta. Whats to stop the US/EU servers?
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2013-04-18 at 11:55 PM.

Its looking like China might be selling legendary weapons in their gem store according to their beta. Whats to stop the US/EU servers?
    That's a fake store

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1855266

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein
    Those armors are temporary placeholders (that already exist in the game), and the Legendary Store is a fake.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2013-04-18 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That, by definition, is making you better and gives you an advantage.

Saving you time and effort is an advantage over people that dont buy it, no matter how small. Anet promised that there would be 0 items that give any kind of advantage, period. Unless this item becomes attainable in game without gems, then they have effectively gone back on their word, thus starting the snowball effect. Saving you time an effort at the cost of gems as the only attainable method is an advantage, regardless if you think the in game gold cost conversion is worth it or not.

That China selling legendaries link was a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein
    Those armors are temporary placeholders (that already exist in the game), and the Legendary Store is a fake.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1855812

This whole thing is like if I were to go to the WoW forum and have a hissyfit about how Blizzard sells mounts in their Blizzard store saying it was pay-to-win since they save money on flightpath fees. Not only would they laugh me off their forum, but their laughter would knock me clean off the interwebz.
    Valar morghulis

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    This whole thing is like if I were to go to the WoW forum and have a hissyfit about how Blizzard sells mounts in their Blizzard store saying it was pay-to-win since they save money on flightpath fees. Not only would they laugh me off their forum, but their laughter would knock me clean off the interwebz.
    That's actually a perfect example, especially since the default rebuttal would be to say "Nooo, you can buy mounts in the game so it's not the same". Except that you can also buy the pick with gold from the game, so..you know...same story.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I this thread deserves a vid of the pick in slowmo action!

Valar morghulis

Saving you time and effort is an advantage over people that dont buy it, no matter how small.
    That's kinda the definition of a convenience purchase, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's selling power that's the issue, and this is not selling power. If I buy it, I am no more powerful than your character in-game in PvP or PvE. Nor do I have much of an edge over you financially in-game, as it will take (as others have noted) quite a long time for the initial investment to "pay off", and the value of the investment will continue to decrease over time, making long-term returns even smaller.

You're just looking to argue about something. Good luck.

Thing is that people expected that the shop wouldn't give any sort of advantage, be it monetary or convenience... If it's "novelty" stuff like skins/char slots/minis/dye packs/... people don't really care.

This however does give a double advantage. I agree that the pay off will become less and less over time etc.. and that it isn't a big deal as long as it stays with things like this.

Some people go in a manic fear of anet suddenly going the p2w route, but it's highly unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Thing is that people expected that the shop wouldn't give any sort of advantage, be it monetary or convenience...
    If you (the royal "you", not you in particular) expected that, you never saw the cash shop. Since day one they've had convenience purchases in the form of the temporary boosts, additional bag slots, and additional bank slots. Those are all convenience purchases that can conceivably give someone an "advantage" over someone else who doesn't have them, but with the way the game is designed, it never actually leads to more power for your character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Some people go in a manic fear of anet suddenly going the p2w route, but it's highly unlikely to happen.
    I think some people are trying to drum up some manic fear ;-)
    Valar morghulis

I wish they'd added the new dyes to BLCs.