Bartender 4 -Vehicle/Progress Bars and General Query(s)

Hello all.

I've set up a bar arrangement using BT4 I'm reasonably happy with for now - maybe some fine tuning for cosmetic reasons or positioning still needed.

Anyway I've looked around quite extensively on this question, but haven't seemed to be able to find a straight answer:

When I first set up my bars, I didn't worry about what bars were being used. I just used them as they came to hand, but with say bars that were on the right hand of the screen - 3 & 4 or whatever (I'm not on WoW atm and typing from lap) - I just left them as they were, apart from hiding in combat. But then when I saw what happened when say planting or harvesting crops at Halfhill, or doing that Watering daily from the kite, I noticed that the vehicle bar that came up had the keybindings I'd set to bar 1. I'd also read, but not experienced myself as I'd finished with the content, about difficulties people had experienced with Amber Shaper, which is apparently a possess bar, not vehicle. So I redid the bars again, this time leaving Bar 1 OUT of the mix. But now, what happens, at least on the farm or with the watering quest, is that I get a bar with NO keybindings (presumably because nothing is bound to Bar 1 now, AND another icon or icons, for the same thing. Now this is v annoying, as say with the watering you have to click both the water ability AND then the location of target, so it's much slower. In short, it's not much good.

Now what I want to achieve, is just have things work as they do when you have no Bar addon at all, for THESE bars ONLY - vehicle, possess, and whatever other bar(s) it might be in these special cases - AND for them to have the same keys they do by blizz default - 1,2,3 etc. But please note I have these number keys bound to other abilities and they are mixed up, so to speak. So I mean I can't put them on Bar 1, UNLESS they can be used twice or something.

In case it wasn't clear - I've left Bar 1 free, in case this is going to be part of the solution to my problem. That bar seems a bit different from all others, from what I've read. As a related question to all this: does it matter which bars you use where otherwise?

I feel I've gone a bit roundabout in explaining what I'm after. Oh and btw I've looked at the State Configuration tab and checked and unchecked things, but still haven't found the answer.

Is there a simple answer to this?

Bar 1 is usually the "main" bar that you assign the default 1234567890-= keybinds to, but it's okay if it isn't set up that way.

If for this example, you preferred to use Bar 5 for this, you would enable the State Configuration and check the Possess Bar box for Bar 5, then make sure that Bar 1 state configuration is completely disabled.

The "Posses Bar" should cover all the things like Vehicles and Halfhill Crops.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2013-04-27 at 08:04 AM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Bar 1 is usually the "main" bar that you assign the default 1234567890-= keybinds to, but it's okay if it isn't set up that way.

If for this example, you preferred to use Bar 5 for this, you would enable the State Configuration and check the Possess Bar box for Bar 5, then make sure that Bar 1 state configuration is completely disabled.

The "Posses Bar" should cover all the things like Vehicles and Halfhill Crops.
    Hi and thanks v much for the response.

Yes I understood this really, but perhaps I didn't make myself clear. (Hard to do without a screenshot maybe).

In setting up my bars as I want them, I have used every bar frame except Bar 1. Now I know that this bar usually takes the 1,2,3 etc by default, but things are different in my setup, due to how I key during attacks. So for example Charge is on the 1 Key, Disarm is 2 key, Sunder is 3 Key, Berserker Rage is 4 Key, and so on. BUT each of these number keys are on different bar frames, because of how I want my layout to sit. To try and explain this another way: I want to be able to assign keys according to what I find best to hit, given the particular ability in question, and to place that key on any bar I choose, so that my focus is directed most to the keys that matter most.

What I would LIKE to occur is that every time a blizz default 'extra' frame would come up, say on the Halfhill examples above, Amber Shaper, that Shado Pan daily where you were riding around on dragons' backs one after another but using your normal attack keys so as to beat them into submission and then jump to another one, in fact ANYTHING where it 'adds' a bar frame, to be as it would be if there were no BT at all, while maintaining the BT4 setup, including keybinds, on my abilities at the same time.

I was wondering if I could somehow double bind the number keys, so that they assigned to BOTH whatever abilities they are on my general setup, AND to Bar 1 (or, given what you say above, whichever bar I've assigned as 'Possess' via State Config, but in my case I've left Bar 1 for this anyway).

OR if that's not the answer, whether there was some other workaround, to achieve what I've outlined here.

You seem to have a very unique problem that I don't think is solvable in the way you are looking for.

The vehicle bar can only be one bar. You can only have one keybind for one button, and if all of your number keys are all bound to different bars, they can't be on two keybinds at once.

My suggestion is to start from scratch and layout your abilities in a way that (at least) the 123456 and 0 keys are all on the same bar, then simply designate that one as the possess bar.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Hmm okay. Just to make this v clear: I really appreciate the feedback.

That's a real bugger though. The two main concerns that spring to mind immediately are the 1 and 4 bindings. I don't think I can put them on the same bar - the 4 binding is on my 'main' bar and is horizontal, the 1 binding is on a smaller vertical bar. As a Warr, hitting that 4 key to maintain Enrage uptime or to gain a stack of Raging Blow is crucial to my rotation, and it's very natural for me for it to be on that particular key.

I'll also mention that the bar layout I'm using is essentially the same as one designed by Landsoul, who I expect you've heard of if you've ever run a Warrior. But then I don't know his keybinds and he may even still use Dominoes anyway, if that made any difference. At the same time though... I'm not sure how 'unique' this would be, on that basis.

But okay, I follow what you say, and the mists are starting to part a bit, so to speak.

I'll be on my Char tomorrow and will see about posting some screenshots, just to make things clearer in the (perhaps folorn) hope of a solution.

I could put up with having to just click, say on Amber Shaper and the like, but when you are doing something like that Halfhill watering quest you really need to be able to hit the ability key with your left hand and target and click with the right, so this is a problem. It's even annoying when you are doing those weeds when harvesting, being obliged to click only from one thing to another.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 06:23 PM ----------

I digested the above for a bit and thought I'd add this also:

When I set up originally I used Bar One and noticed when I was harvesting that the possess or whatever bar it is came up with the key binds I'd put on that Bar - say E, Shift E, R, 4 etc - it was my 'main' bar as I describe above, at that point. So that led me to redo, wanting just straight numbers as it is by default. That would still be my preference, but if it's not possible would that be the way to go then? At least there would be keys of some kind, as opposed to click only. But I'm also thinking of situations like that Shado Pan daily with the dragons, where you had BOTH - a 'special' bar (whatever it is) plus your 'regular' abilities - up at the same time. So would that create some problem then? I don't want to be ambushed by it in some out of the ordinary raid fight down the track, is all.

Jeez Louise I thought BT was pretty straightforward and I'm still plugging away on Pitbull. Weakauras also.