Deleted

Time for an upgrade due to bad FPS sometimes.

I am getting some rally bad FPS on some world bosses (havent raided since LK so i dont know if that is a problem too) especially Galleon where the FPS dropped to 2-9, after a bit of cleaning and overclocking the CPU i stayed at 20 FPS.

I am thinking about getting a new GPU since it is running a bit hot even after the cleaning.

My build:

CPU: I7-920 overclocked to 3800MHz
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
    MOBO: ASUS P6T-Deluxe v2
    RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 tot 6GB
    PSU: Deltaco 650W
    Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
    Video: XFX Radeon HD4890

I know that the CPU is a bit old but i was hoping that the overclocking would make it ok for a while longer

Its the videocard i was thinking about changing and maybe a bit more memory but im not sure that will help WoW that much.

a friend is running an i7 with 12GB and 2 GTX 570 SLI and he has no problem at all.

Should i get 2 cheap Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost OC HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 2GB(about 170€) or one Asus GeForce GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 2GB (about 330€) or even go so high as Asus GeForce GTX670-DC2-4GD5 4GB (about 440€)

I think 2 GTX 650TI or 1 GTX 660TI is more in my pricerange unless the GTX 670 is way better

Any ideas or even some other cards that might be even better around 350€

BTW is more than 6GB of memory necessary for WoW.

Im only using this computer for WoW and Diablo 3 and sometimes GW2 and SWtor

Single card solution would be fine, no need to really go SLI or Crossfire, unless you are running a game across 3 monitors or a 120hz Monitor. For WoW, one 650ti Boost should run fine in a single monitor 1080p setup. Personally I would go with a single 670. Will be more than enough for what you are doing.

8GB is the generally recommended standard, just cause it's easy to throw in 2 4GB sticks, but 6GB should be fine.

The overclock on the CPU should keep that running fine, as long as you are not trying to push Ultra, for at least a little while longer.

X58 has triple channel RAM, if anything he is looking at 3x4GB ram. His CPU is well able to handle gaming for a little while longer. A decent upgrade for you would be 7870XT/GTX670/7970 + the RAM. That should cover you for the next 2-3 years.

SLI is never recommended over a more powerful single card solution. I would advice strongly against going for 2x cheap gpu's in favour of a more powerful single card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    X58 has triple channel RAM, if anything he is looking at 3x4GB ram. His CPU is well able to handle gaming for a little while longer. A decent upgrade for you would be 7870XT/GTX670/7970 + the RAM. That should cover you for the next 2-3 years.
    Those triple channel boards always throw me, still, running 3x2GB sticks for 6GB should be plenty I would think, though going to 12GB obviously wouldn't hurt anything.

Deleted
    Thx for the replies.

I found this one for about 380€ Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 2GB (GV-N670OC-2GD) and im going by the store tomorrow to pick it up

Deleted
    For the price of a decent 660Ti model, you can get a 7870XT and 8GB of RAM, and for ~€320, you can get triple-channel 12GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    For the price of a decent 660Ti model, you can get a 7870XT and 8GB of RAM, and for ~€320, you can get triple-channel 12GB RAM.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Either that or a 7870 and a 128GB SSD. You don't need much more than a GTX 660 Ti in today's PC gamingsphere. The HD 7870 ($210) (get XT if you can but they can be hard to find,) with newer drivers, outperforms the 660 Ti ($300+) by a small amount. It also does not have the memory bus width limitations of the 660 Ti, meaning higher resolutions and anti-aliasing take much less of a performance hit.
    Last edited by SpongeGuard; 2013-04-15 at 04:07 PM.

Once again, it's a X58 board with triple channel RAM, 8GB isn't a viable option for him. I've fixed too many unstable X58 based computers with 2X4GB RAM in them to not advice against this. Get 3X4GB RAM, yes it is "overkill" but 6GB is really a bit "underkill" and you won't be able to get 8GB any cheaper than you would 12GB on 3 RAM modules, making 8GB a pointless target. Upgrade to 12GB, that will give you a performance gain.

I also agree that the most performance for money would be a 7870XT + an SSD in addition to the RAM. The 7870XT overclocks like a beast and even goes beyond 7950 stock performance making it a much better choice for your money than a GTX660ti. It's also alot better at handling higher resolutions, AA and multi-monitor setups than the 660ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Once again, it's a X58 board with triple channel RAM, 8GB isn't a viable option for him. I've fixed too many unstable X58 based computers with 2X4GB RAM in them to not advice against this. Get 3X4GB RAM, yes it is "overkill" but 6GB is really a bit "underkill" and you won't be able to get 8GB any cheaper than you would 12GB on 3 RAM modules, making 8GB a pointless target. Upgrade to 12GB, that will give you a performance gain.

I also agree that the most performance for money would be a 7870XT + an SSD in addition to the RAM. The 7870XT overclocks like a beast and even goes beyond 7950 stock performance making it a much better choice for your money than a GTX660ti. It's also alot better at handling higher resolutions, AA and multi-monitor setups than the 660ti.
    The thing is, he already has the 6GB, which is probably right at enough. If anything, perhaps double by adding 3 more 2GB sticks so his current RAM is still getting used. Personally, I would just upgrade the video card and see where that puts me. Then if he is still noticing some lag sometimes, then maybe consider buying some RAM a little later.