Deleted

Character biography: Jibashi

This character biography is written in the "canon" Warcraft universe, the world where our player characters exist. The character is one of the many heroes of Azeroth and works under the Warchief of the Horde to eliminate creatures and groups (read: dungeon and raid encounters) that oppose the Horde or threaten Azeroth. Jibashi is on speaking terms with famous characters like Thrall and Vol'jin, but he is considered just one of many people who are of the same rank.

Jibashi is a character with a history I've been writing for several years so he may come off as dramatic and Gary Stu-ish to some. Unfortunately, as this is a character created for fanfic purposes, I felt that an exciting character with skill (within reason) would be more enjoyable to write about than an ordinary civilian person.

Name: Jibashi
    Age: 28-30 (depending on timeline, I haven't looked it up properly)
    Race: Half Forest-half Jungle Troll (Forest troll from father's side)
    Class: Hunter
    Profession: Skinner
    Family: Jali'ka (mother), Hanashi (younger half-brother)

Languages: Zandali, Orcish, Common (not fluent)

Faction: n/a

Personality: In his younger years Jibashi was care-free and snarky, almost to a point of coming off as arrogant. He has since mellowed down considerably, but Jibashi's still the first one to crack jokes in a tough spot and it's his way of coping with difficulty and uncomfortable situations, as well as keeping himself distanced from others while still appearing likeable to them. Due to his lifestyle and personality, Jibashi has trouble ever staying in one place for too long and he tried his best to keep any relationships brief and superficial... Until he found Yakuji, anyway. More on that later.

Inside the wisecrack exterior Jibashi can be contemplative and quiet, and is controlled by a deep sense of responsibility for the people he cares about. He hasn't lead a perfect life and has made mistakes that broke friendships and made people's lives difficult, but he has made the best of what he has. He has seen friends die in the war against the Alliance, the Lich King, during the Cataclysm, and the long years of strife are starting to show their mark on the hunter.

Jibashi was brought up to respect the Loas, and he reveres them as most Darkspear trolls do. His superstition from younger years has washed off though, due to the many years of travelling and seeing things that both educated and expanded his understanding of the world around him.

Likes/Dislikes: Jibashi is a passionate creature who loves more things than he hates. He appreciates a good drink, tobacco, music and beautiful people, but rarely gets the proper opportunity to enjoy these things while he is on the road. To balance this, Jibashi takes time off his usual routine to go on fishing trips in various locations around Azeroth couple of times a year. One of his popular destinations is Strangethorn Vale, for its lush jungles plentiful of prey and the beautiful beaches and rivers teeming with fish to catch.

Apart from a curious talent of folded paper art (origami), Jibashi doesn't really have hobbies outside of his profession as a hunter. His first true love was found in the thrill of the hunt, and he takes pride in his marksmanship skills and his ability to handle a bow. Jibashi finds solace in long hunts where it's just him, the wild and his pet tiger, Akua. Jibashi has had Akua since she was a cub and the two make an inseparable team on the hunting grounds.

When it comes to hate, however, it's quality over quantity for him. Jibashi prefers to keep himself uninvolved from conflicts whenever possible, but is easily provoked if his family or friends are spoken ill of or if the other party tries to get into a bragging contest with Jibashi, especially about marksmanship. A certain night elf was particularly good at this, which sent the two fighting several times and getting them both a year-long ban from the inn in lower-city Shattrath. But as far as the Alliance is considered in general, Jibashi couldn't care less. He was never big on the Horde-Alliance conflict and doesn't believe that Garrosh's campaign for blood will do anything but harm to the Horde. He has no issue with defending himself or acting against the Alliance to achieve his own ends, but he's not known to pick fights with individuals just because they are on the opposing side.

Jibashi has no allergies, but he absolutely cannot stomach alcoholic beverages made by goblins. They've resulted in some of the most hideous hangovers he's ever had.

Appearance: Jibashi's physique resembles that of a typical jungle troll, a lanky body with long, muscular limbs. Currently he's in excellent shape from his travels through Pandaria, perhaps better than he has ever been. The break from constant drinking of orchish swill and bad quality tobacco has done him good.

Him being half Forest Troll doesn't show in his appearance all that much apart from an emerald head of hair that he wears on a long, thick ponytail (it's getting to a point where he should probably cut it a bit...), and a faint hue of green on his skin. His eyes are dark red and he has no tattoos, apart from the dark green and white warpaint on his face. His tusks are slightly curved and point straight forward. Here's a mugshot of Jibashi courtesy of Tigrin, and a body shot from WoW Model Viewer.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Jibashi is an extremely skilled hunter, having trained as one as soon as he was able to hold a bow. He has travelled the breadth of Azeroth and beyond with a band of elite soldiers, vanquishing countless dangerous creatures and people under the command of Thrall, Garrosh, Vol'jin and other prominent figures. This experience has left him with a talent to survive almost every situation and to adapt in the face of adversity. Jibashi doesn't leave anyone behind and is loyal to those he considers his friends.

While Jibashi is skilled in the art of war, his biggest weakness comes from his inability to let things go, and to believe in himself. He is prone to questioning himself and his abilities to deal with people and things that cannot be sorted with an arrow between the eyes, and often judges people harshly without knowing them fully. Until recently, he was in a relationship of sorts with another male troll, Yakuji, who he lived with for nearly two years during a time Jibashi had thought the life of an adventurer was behind him for good. The relationship ended several months ago however due to circumstances outside of his control, and he is having a particularly hard time putting that behind him, sometimes falling into slumps of self pity combined with copious amounts of beer.

History:

Childhood:
    Jibashi was born to Jali'ka, a shadow priestess of the Darkspear tribe during a time when the tribe still lived on remote islands under the rule of Sen'jin. When Jibashi was young, the tribe was rescued by Thrall and migrated to the Echo Isles in Durotar, where Jibashi spent his teenage years. Jibashi was a fully trained headhunter by the time he was 17. Soon after this he was called to the Valley of the Trials for testing, and from there onwards his life has been filled with travelling and fighting in the name of the Horde.

Relationships:
    To elaborate on Jibashi and Yakuji's relationship, they had been friends since they were teenagers, but they didn't become lovers until the trolls were in their late teens. They were separated as life lead each of them to different directions, and the relationship faded into a pale friendship only held together by letters and the memories of the good old days. Yakuji worked as a military sergeant, but he occasionally had the time off to organise a weekend away with Jibashi, the only times when the two had the opportunity to rekindle their relationship.

Classic & The Burning Crusade:
    After gaining fame from some of his exploits with a travelling band of Azerothian heroes, the next several years that followed had Jibashi living a life of luxury. No static home to go back to, Jibashi made a home of wherever he was staying at the time, taking companionship where it was offered and doing whatever he wanted with his time. He missed his old companion, but it was easy to put those thoughts aside by drowning them in alcohol, a pair of breasts or whatever Jibashi might have fancied at the time.

Wrath of the Lich King:
    It wasn't until Tirion Fordring's campaign against Arthas in Northrend had come to an end that Jibashi started questioning his lifestyle and the priorities in it. He had a very close call in an encounter with the Lich King that broke both his body and his spirit and left the troll is a state of melancholy from the experience for weeks after the war was over. He eventually recovered, and set out to locate Yakuji who he now hadn't seen in over three years. The last letter he received had been from over a year ago mentioning Yakuji taking on an assignment in the north, and with the Scourge army raging free, Jibashi couldn't help but fear that while he was busy working with the Crusaders, the worst had befallen his old friend. When he finally managed to track the warrior down, he asked him to join him on an "extended break" from his freelancing work, and as it happened to align well with Yakuji's work, he agreed.

The Cataclysm:
    Yakuji continued his work in the Horde military, but as Jibashi was now settled in one location the two practically lived together. Once the Cataclysm occurred, Jibashi was called to aid in the Horde expansion campaigns in Twilight Highlands and other locations around Azeroth, but once the immediate threat was neutralized, Jibashi started answering the call of his Warchief less and less.

Since the death of Arthas, Jibashi had earned himself financial security which removed one of his main motivations to the adventuring, and by the end of the year Jibashi had almost completely dropped his mercenary work with Garrosh and now lived a peaceful life in the confines of Orgrimmar with Yakuji. He did the occasional hunting trip to provide animal skins and leather to the local traders in Orgrimmar out of boredom, but most of his days were spent lounging around the city, fishing, drinking, and smoking. Yakuji, being a protector by nature, disapproved of his companions new passive way of life and tried to encourage Jibashi to answer the call to arms, but the hunter was adamant that he had everything he could possibly want in his life already.

===============

[This is a recap of current events within the Pandaria timeline, I will rewrite this section in the next few days.]
    Pandaria: Yakuji is called to active duty by Garrosh and confesses to Jibashi that settling down in peace is not what he is meant to do for the rest of his life. Yakuji leaves Jibashi to his lethargy, and Jibashi finds the resolve to get out of the house and start working again for the Horde. He travels to Pandaria but instead of a simple war campaign, it becomes a journey of self discovery and personal growth for him. Jibashi is discovered by Master Bruised Paw who trains his body and mind further to get the hunter back into shape, and over the course of several months spent in this beautiful continent, Jibashi starts realising that he should be fighting for the people and ideals that matter the most to him, not material wealth.

===============

If someone managed to read this far, I congratulate you! I realise I haven't covered certain aspects of his history such as the Amani father, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by mmoc626163a888; 2013-04-19 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Fleshing out details and tidbits, adding new ones

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi!

Cool story and nicely done indeed. Everything seems fitting to me, but ofc i am no expert! One question tho, is he gay? I mean, i did not understand the part of "some sorta relationship with another male troll". I am totally asking out of curiosity, nothing more, so don't get me wrong.

His father is an Amani troll? How could that be possible, considering that he was born in Darkspear Island and the Amani Tribe lives in Ghostlands.. It is a loooong way down there, ocean in between and stuff.. I am kinda confused here.

Also a little bit more of an explanation to his previous "life purpose" would be good, so we can better understand what kind of a change Pandaria caused on him. Was it travelling and risking his life for no obvious reasons except saving the world? Is that what he exchanged with a new cause? And, what exactly do you mean by "freeing Pandaria"? As far as i am concerned Pandaria and its inhabitants are perfectly free of any kind of oppression at the moment. I am no expert tho, so i may be wrong but, Shado-pan seems to be running the show in Pandaria and they kicked the shas of all kinds, yaungol, mantid and mogu in the groin (thanks to players), and also they seem to be as power as being able to threaten the Horde to leave the Pandaria forever (see 5.3 digsite issue and Taran Zhu's speech with Dezco). So, from who or what does Jibashi want to free Pandaria from, exactly?

All in all, nicely written story and an interesting character. See ya around!

Deleted
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to read and ask questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    One question tho, is he gay? I mean, i did not understand the part of "some sorta relationship with another male troll". I am totally asking out of curiosity, nothing more, so don't get me wrong.
    He's bi-sexual, but the only long term relationship he has had was with this Yakuji character. I used the "some sorta" wording because the two were never very... How to say, loving or "official" with their relationship and it was more of a "friends with benefits" interaction between them. At least, to Yakuji it was, but I don't know if Jibashi cared for him more than he wanted to admit.

I'm not exactly sure how homosexuality is treated in Azeroth but it has never a focal point of his character and Jibashi's never made an effort to make his relationships public regardless of who he's with. If anyone would have asked him why he lived in the same hut with another guy, his reply would have most likely been "yeah, what of it?".

His father is an Amani troll? How could that be possible, considering that he was born in Darkspear Island and the Amani Tribe lives in Ghostlands.. It is a loooong way down there, ocean in between and stuff.. I am kinda confused here.
    It's possible the story I've written about this is no longer applicable to the current Warcraft lore. I wrote it a few years ago based on a tidbit I looked up on WoW Wiki about trolls holding a peace council every 6 years on the Zandalar islands, but looking at the information on Wowpedia, it's now considered non-canon so I may have to somehow rewrite that part. As the story went originally, Jali'ka was accompanying the Darkspear emissary to one of these meetings on Zandalar, and during the celebrations and general partying she hooked up with an Amani bodyguard who was on the island with his own tribe's emissary. The encounter was brief and Jali'ka never saw the Amani troll after that, but Jibashi was the product of their little fling. Jali'ka never explained the details to anyone and nobody asked, so Jibashi has been treated as a member of the Darkspear tribe since birth.

If there is a more lore friendly alternative I could use to justify his genes, I'd love to learn about it. I tried to make it a very minor detail especially as physically he looks like a jungle troll with just a bit of green on him, but at the same time considering his appearance I didn't feel right just calling him a jungle troll because it seems nearly every jungle troll in Warcraft have blue skin and bright red hair.

Also a little bit more of an explanation to his previous "life purpose" would be good, so we can better understand what kind of a change Pandaria caused on him. Was it travelling and risking his life for no obvious reasons except saving the world? Is that what he exchanged with a new cause? And, what exactly do you mean by "freeing Pandaria"? As far as i am concerned Pandaria and its inhabitants are perfectly free of any kind of oppression at the moment. I am no expert tho, so i may be wrong but, Shado-pan seems to be running the show in Pandaria and they kicked the shas of all kinds, yaungol, mantid and mogu in the groin (thanks to players), and also they seem to be as power as being able to threaten the Horde to leave the Pandaria forever (see 5.3 digsite issue and Taran Zhu's speech with Dezco). So, from who or what does Jibashi want to free Pandaria from, exactly?
    I haven't finished writing this part of the character yet as I actually still need to finish questing in all the Pandaria zones, do the raids and just in general learn of the lore so I can tie up all the loose ends with the story. I left it very vague on purpose as I don't know the information yet (I returned to the game just a couple of weeks ago after quitting at the beginning of Cata, hence the gap of inactivity in the character's story as well). I want to reflect a shift in Jibashi's priorities as he travels through Pandaria with this chapter of his story. He was selfish, reckless and lazy, and when the world saving gig didn't suit his desires he dropped it like a hot potato to become a retired bum whose daily activities consisted of fishing, getting drunk and stoned while his boyfriend still worked in the Horde military. (He wasn't all that bad though, being a mercenary of his caliber had earned him a cozy sum of gold to draw from for those years of slacking.)

Once that comes to an end with Yakuji leaving, Jibashi's conscience starts eating away at him and he can't stand to sit on his ass any longer. One thing leads to another and Jibashi finds himself in Pandaria, but instead of a simple Horde mission it becomes a journey of self discovery and personal growth for him. His personality is going to shift more towards an experienced veteran than the a brash kid who thinks he owes the world nothing. But as I said, this is incomplete and I will flesh it out and write it to be a bit more plausible as I play more.

The Jibashi I will be doing RP with is currently in the transition phase from the lazy kid who's lived a life of "money falls in my pocket if I go and solve a few problems" to a character who knows there is more to life than earning money and instantly spending it on minute pleasures. Ideally, in a few years' time when Jiba is in his mid-30s I'd like to write him to become a shadow hunter, but the character isn't ready for that yet. We shall see.

TL;DR There isn't one, sorry this turned into a wall of text! D:
    Last edited by mmoc626163a888; 2013-04-16 at 12:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the answers, i got a better picture of your point of view now.

That meeting you speak of was something i had no idea about. I learned something new from you so thank you

That transition you talked about sounds perfectly fine. Pandaria is the perfect place for a rugged veteran to start asking question to himself. I for one love the concept of Pandaria and how well the different mentality of its inhabitants was explained throughout the region. Blizzard definitely did a well job putting in that aspect.

Looking forward to your additions!

Deleted
    I think so too Mengucekli. I love the music and the theme of the latest expansion. While a bit cliche, it brings about a level of depth to the story of Warcraft that we haven't had the chance to experience before, I think. I'm really enjoying the story going towards the Alliance and the Horde trying to stop being at each others' throats all the time, looking at the world (of Warcraft) in shades of grey is so much more interesting than in black and white.

Nevermind the mass edits, I added a whole bunch of new stuff to the main post, as well as some things I already mentioned in my comments.