Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather live in a mid to high population city than in a town of 2000 people. At least there are things to do.

There are benefits to both. Visiting my girlfriend in California makes me really appreciate how beautiful the sky is here in Nova Scotia on a clear night. Although it's exaggerated a bit in the picture on the front page, the skies here under the right circumstances can look pretty damn close to that.

Oh and fuck mosquitoes. Holy shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I'd rather live in a mid to high population city than in a town of 2000 people. At least there are things to do.

There are benefits to both. Visiting my girlfriend in California makes me really appreciate how beautiful the sky is here in Nova Scotia on a clear night. Although it's exaggerated a bit in the picture on the front page, the skies here under the right circumstances can look pretty damn close to that.

Oh and fuck mosquitoes. Holy shit.
    They can in California too in the right places.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I dunno. There are certain substances that can make you feel like your eyes are taking long exposures of things.
    This one time, with the help of a certain substance, I was lying on my balcony in Vancouver looking up at the stars. I stayed totally still and my eyes ended up watering up and I guess created a lens on my eye that not only enhanced my view but hydrated my eye so I didn't have to blink. Minutes went by and more and more stars became visible. It was amazing. I can only imagine how much more I would have seen outside of the city. It's a moment I'll never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Where do you even go to get a view like that.
    Don't think the sky looks like that anywhere unless you are using a lot of equipment and very long exposure times. I don't believe you can look up at the sky anywhere on earth and see that naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    City - All forms of food, culture, and sport known to man are available within a walk/trainride from home.

Rural - I can see the sky!
    Rural - I have privacy, tranquility, freedom, access to nature and fresh clean air.

City - I have lots of food!

See, I can do it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Rural - I have privacy, tranquility, freedom, access to nature and fresh clean air.

City - I have lots of food!

See, I can do it too.
    Marin County. All of the above. Down side is the 600k median house price.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I like living in a city or decent sized town(where do one draw the line?). I really like my city, I'm a bit of a local patriot I guess.
    Not sure how "real" this photo is but we can get some really beautiful nights here as well despite the area being urban.

But, I also love going up to my families countryside ranch/holiday home further up on the west coast and the whole coastline up to the border to norway. Sailing there during summer for example is fantastic. But it's good enough to just chill by the ocean or go out into the forrest and pick berries and mushrooms, or hunt(during season) or take the motorboat out and do some fishing, fresh caught mackerel with dill, chives and summer potatoes(preferably from your own garden) /droll. There isn't much els to do up there except enjoy the nature, we do have decent internet though(40mbit). It's certainly something that I put high value on but it gets boring if you stay there for too long.

Skies like this are just lovely and not too uncommon during the summer months.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-04-16 at 04:49 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

For most of us on these forums it doesn't really matter where we live as long as the internet is stable and there is a store nearby.

I just keep 3 homes, a penthouse flat and a beach villa in the islands handy for whenever I need a change of scenery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the allure of living in a city. But if I can help it, I'll always live in the sticks.

This is the view I want. It's a spaceship leaving the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Evisiling View Post

A view of the lower part of Birmingham at night, I love it even though where I live it has a lot of bad reputation due to gangs outside of the Birmingham area, but at Christmas and night time it is really something.
    Lol when I saw the picture and it said Birmingham, i was like "pretty sure that's not my birmingham"...OP if from england. Im from Alabama, USA. We don't have anything here.

I live an hour and half from my birmingham and while the rich areas have nice food places, there isn't beautiful nights on the town or historical structures to awe at.

I'll have my Bachelor's in Computer Science next year, then I am moving to a big city. I hate mowing grass and pollen. I hate local restaurants being the best food and rest is fast food and you can't even go decent shopping without driving an hour. Also any vacation spot is in another state. Sure, I have Gulf Shores but I live in NE alabama. I can go somewhere better in another state for same amount of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    You live life the wrong way.
    Not if you lived here. There ONE amazing asian restaurant and that is it. Sure at lunch time there are a couple of Cafes to get a fresh sandwich, but that is only lunch time and its just a sandwich, nothing fancy or to look forward to. The only 24 hour store is Wal-mart and McDonalds. There is one steak place and applebee's in a neighboring town that also has like 2 seafood places and a japanese restaurant.

After that, it is an hour drive to nearest city that has 2 malls and several italian or steak places, but no restaurant that makes you go WOW! Example: birmingham (hour and half drive) has The Cheesecake Factory. Amazing food, variety, and awesome enviroment.

Any drive longer than that, you are better off going to Nashville or Chattanooga in TN. In fact, I'd choose those over birmingham with hardly anymore driving.

Clothes wise, unless you like wal-mart, belk, or Maurices, you again have to drive to those cities just to buy aeropostle/american eagle, etc.

So imo, this section of alabama is absolutely horrible from a standard of living PoV even if you have money cause you have to drive hours just to spend it.

Edit: I forgot the chicken plant that makes THE main road smell like sewage and ass half the day and worse during the summer heat.
    Last edited by 420rogue; 2013-04-16 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    Not if you lived here. There ONE amazing asian restaurant and that is it. Sure at lunch time there are a couple of Cafes to get a fresh sandwich, but that is only lunch time and its just a sandwich, nothing fancy or to look forward to. The only 24 store is Wal-mart and McDonalds. There is one steak place and applebee's in a neighboring town that also has like 2 seafood places and a japanese restaurant.

After that, it is an hour drive to nearest city that has 2 malls and several italian or steak places, but no restaurant that makes you go WOW! Example: birmingham (hour and half drive) has The Cheesecake Factory. Amazing food, variety, and awesome enviroment.

Any drive longer than that, you are better off going to Nashville or Chattanooga in TN. In fact, I'd choose those over birmingham with hardly anymore driving.

Clothes wise, unless you like wal-mart, belk, or Maurices, you again have to drive to those cities just to buy aeropostle/american eagle, etc.

So imo, this section of alabama is absolutely horrible from a standard of living PoV even if you have money cause you have to drive hours just to spend it.
    If the Cheesecake Factory is what passes for good food in your area, I do feel sorry for you.

Deleted
    It always depends on the city, in the city where I live I can pretty much see a lot of stars and breathe fresh air, there's the mix between nature and urban (the buildings here are also not very tall)

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    You forgot the mosquitoes in your picture.
    Agreed, mosquitoes suck, especially the disease carrying ones, but I'd take a view like that with the mosquitoes over the light pollution that comes from being in a large city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Where do you even go to get a view like that.
    I'd say somewhere in the southern hemisphere considering that's likely the milky way being shown in the night sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    You forgot the mosquitoes in your picture.
    Among other inconveniences. Its nice to enjoy views like that, I can always drive to those places for a weekend.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    In San Francisco, 15 minutes on a motorcycle and you're in a heavily treed area and/or a fairly empty beach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Agreed, mosquitoes suck, especially the disease carrying ones, but I'd take a view like that with the mosquitoes over the light pollution that comes from being in a large city.

I'd say somewhere in the southern hemisphere considering that's likely the milky way being shown in the night sky.
    There are mosquitos in downtown Houston in the summer.