10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeNicotine View Post
    Are people still saying it isn't terrorism? Terrorism is any act that incites fear and panic among a group of people, it doesn't have to come from an organization.
    It's not limited to groups, it can be a single person as well.
    Example.... A group threatening an individual, can be as well a "Terroristic threat" by definition of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post
    They're trying not to offend anyone probably.
    How is it offensive when it's the truth?

---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    It's not limited to groups, it can be a single person as well.
    Example.... A group threatening an individual, can be as well a "Terroristic threat" by definition of the law.
    I know, that's the point I'm trying to make. Not even out shitty excuse for a president can say what it really was.

15+ Year Old Account
    FBI press conference in 30 mins.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

How is it offensive when it's the truth?

---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

I know, that's the point I'm trying to make. Not even out shitty excuse for a president can say what it really was.
    The last time the administration said something was or was not a terrorist attack, there was a year long witch hunt in the mass media (in particular the right-leaning). I can totally understand wanting to wait until the preliminary FBI report.

Just for reference in this old article, the July 7th London bombings committed by a terrorist cell used Ball bearing bombs.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...es-500578.html

New details have emerged of the "ball-bearing" bombs designed by the 7 July terrorist cell, which aimed to cause mass casualties.

The devices, consisting of acetone peroxide packed into jam jars wrapped with a band of metal, were found in a car rented by the suicide bomber Shahzad Tanweer. It was left at the car park of Luton railway station.

Meanwhile, it was reported last night that an al-Qa'ida suspect wanted in connection with the London bombings had been arrested in Zambia. Haroon Rashid Aswat, a British national who grew up in West Yorkshire near the 7 July bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan and is also wanted by the US authorities for his alleged role in setting up a military training camp in Oregon, is said to have been held for more than week.

The bombs found at Luton, which could be lit by a fuse, are believed to have been intended for the next stage of the terror campaign. They were similar to nail bombs made out of milk bottles, also found.

Another type of bomb discovered in the cache, peroxide in a bottle with a fuse at the top, is thought to have been for use as a "charger", to set off a larger bomb.

The discovery, five days after the first attack on London, shows that the terrorists had manufactured an array of bombs with different capabilities intended to change their pattern of attack. What united them was that the general public was likely to be the main target.

Robert Ayers, an explosives expert with 30 years of experience with the US Army and the British military, said: "It appears that the bombers were thinking ahead and had prepared a range of devices which could be used either as they are or adopted for other use.

"The nail bombs were anti-personnel weapons meant to cause horrific injuries or deaths. One lot in the new photographs are similar, with the ball bearings acting as the shrapnel instead of nails. The other ones could be turned into that easily by adding metal, or to detonate a larger bomb."

Deleted
    I would have to say this either appears to be either a 'lone bomber' or internal attack.

If it was a cell of people or commanded from outside the US I would imagine there would be an awareness of an attack, even if not the exact event.

The bombs, seem far to small to be a major attack, and far to few fatalities which would of been the real aim for attacks from outside. They would of targeted the start where there are more runners to harm (with just as many in the crowd). From what I last saw the bombs where in bins so I would imagine if its a lone bomber you just need to see someone who visited the bins, since they were no doubt checked pre-race.

It doesn't seem like a 'pro job', the car bomb that was discovered and linked, even if it didn't kill/wound many. There would of been a major impact on the area. this seems to small and to focused. It would of done some damage but nothing major if the casualty count wasn't high

10+ Year Old Account
    Are people still saying it isn't terrorism? Terrorism is any act that incites fear and panic among a group of people, it doesn't have to come from an organization.
    Your definition is wrong. While you are correct that it doesn't have to come from a group, just because something results in fear and panic among the public does not make it a terror attack. (If it did, the word would be meaningless - basically all attacks are going to cause fear.) Terrorism is a violent act carried out to further a specific goal or purpose.

terrorism
    1. The deliberate commission of an act of violence to create an emotional response through the suffering of the victims in the furtherance of a political or social agenda.
    2. Violence against civilians to achieve military or political objectives.
    3. A form of psychological manipulation through warfare to the purpose of political or religious gains, by means of deliberately creating a climate of fear amongst the inhabitants of a specific geographical region.
    If this was the work of some psychopathic nutjob who only wanted to kill people, then it wasn't terrorism. It only becomes terrorism if the bombs were set for a reason beyond mass murder, as part of some crazy agenda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Just for reference in this old article, the July 7th London bombings committed by a terrorist cell used Ball bearing bombs.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...es-500578.html
    And this has to do with what?

10+ Year Old Account
    That is different. Just think for a moment... In here, in our rather small group of people, you have to educate some of the community about the terms Terror Act, and Terroristic Treat. Now transport that onto the grand stage of the whole country. There are millions and millions who don't know that there is a huge difference between those legal terms, and a terrorist organization.
    The event is classified a terror attack, already since yesterday shortly after it happened. The president avoided it, to keep a low profile, because we have tens of millions of idiots in the country who wouldn't know the difference. Had he called it an terror act yesterday, you can bet your balls on how much rumble there would go on now, and how finger pointing and hatred would fly around into all kinds of directions and ethnic groups.
    He did the right thing.

After Obama's statement, a White House official said "any event with multiple explosive devices – as this appears to be – is clearly an act of terror, and will be approached as an act of terror."
    Source

Can we quit whining now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Your definition is wrong. While you are correct that it doesn't have to come from a group, just because something results in fear and panic among the public does not make it a terror attack. (If it did, the word would be meaningless - basically all attacks are going to cause fear.) Terrorism is a violent act carried out to further a specific goal or purpose.

terrorism

If this was the work of some psychopathic nutjob who only wanted to kill people, then it wasn't terrorism. It only becomes terrorism if the bombs were set for a reason beyond mass murder, as part of some crazy agenda.
    There's the crux.....
    Too many people don't know the Difference between Terror and Terrorism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Source

Can we quit whining now?
    Obama shouldn't be considered an authority on the definition of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obama shouldn't be considered an authority on the definition of words.
    I meant that we could whining that he didn't utter the word terrorism. By "we", I guess I actually mean, "people that really hate Obama and will bitch every time his name is mentioned".

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we quit whining now?
    Unfortunately, the whining has only just begun.

Republicans will find a way to blame Obama for this act, something along the lines of "first terror attack since 9/11 -- weak on terror."

Democrats will find a way to blame Republicans for this act, something along the lines of "Repubs cut spending on x and y -- which lead to this event."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

I meant that we could whining that he didn't utter the word terrorism. By "we", I guess I actually mean, "people that really hate Obama and will bitch every time his name is mentioned".
    I thought his redefinition of "imminent" to mean "not imminent" was particularly insightful.

FBI press conference should be starting about now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    IIRC banks are required to send a report to the FBI if an individual recently bought large quantities of fertilizer and diesel (especially if they are not a farmer). Of course, if they paid cash then that falls apart.
    What about fireworks. You can make a crude but effective device using these and some steel piping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are people really bitching about whether or not Obama said "terror" again?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

To anyone who says "Herp Derp, Government Conspiracy this didn't really happen." I hope you have a diabetic attack you overweight idiotic loser.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-04-17 at 07:15 PM.

Regardless of if it was an organized terrorist attack or just some random nut job trying to kill a bunch of people or the government themselves, the US government will use the tragedy to their advantage and blame it on someone or some group they don't like. They'll never say they don't know who did it. They always blame someone to both aid them politically and stop fear and panic in the public.

I for one would feel most comfortable if the final statement was, "We don't know WTF happened" - There ends up being no political maneuvering, no suspects to direct hate and fear towards and people can do what is more important by keeping calm and carrying on. The same day this happened, 55 people in Iraq were killed by a bomb, 4 people dead and 22 injured in a shooting in Chicago, the list goes on.

Be very aware while all this media frenzy is going on THAT YOUR CONGRESSMEN ARE VOTING ON CISPA THURSDAY

It is also very discomforting to me the amount of emphasis and focus there has been on CNN about the term "Domestic Terrorist" -- That's quite a boogeyman... Not just airports, but everywhere. We'll need nut touching TSA on every corner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad day in Boston. People that commit acts such as these deserve nothing less than death.