Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The whole point of delidding is removing the black glue that is separating the IHS and the die that and removing the stiff TIM intel uses on the die, Putting your cooler directly on the die can lead to booting issues and can put some pressure on the die and might crack it from the sides if you tight it too much.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

@Op, according to overclock.net they advise to use Coollaboratory Liquid pro or ultra to get the best performance out -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/o...vy-bridge-club

Use the hammer method if you have the tools available much easier and much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    @Op, according to overclock.net they advise to use Coollaboratory Liquid pro or ultra to get the best performance out -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/o...vy-bridge-club
    I used Arctic Silver 5 and it works fine, but I can try those also

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 04:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irloki View Post
    Use the hammer method if you have the tools available much easier and much safer.
    I used a really thin razorblade, the only thing you need to worry about is to not hit the die with it

The hammer method does not look safter in my eyes rofl!
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Guruftw View Post
    I used Arctic Silver 5 and it works fine, but I can try those also

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 04:15 AM ----------

I used a really thin razorblade, the only thing you need to worry about is to not hit the die with it

The hammer method does not look safter in my eyes rofl!
    Myself with a razor blade would probably lose a finger or cut to the bone. There have not been any reported failures using the hammer method yet where as there are MANY failures with the razor.
    Last edited by Irloki; 2013-04-18 at 03:50 AM.

I used Arctic Silver 5 and it works fine, but I can try those also [COLOR="red"]
    Be careful that you don't have any paste on the green pcb of the chip.. There's the ground so yeah.. :P

Deleted
    Why exactly do you need to overclock the cpu as much for?

What do you do that lags with the cpu at standard speeds? Maybe a better gpu is in order instead of ripping the ass out of the cpu.

Deleted
    With that addon, you don't put the IHS/HSP back on the die. I wouldn't really post it if you still had to use the HSP.
    I wouldn't recommend it, as it's very easy to mess up the die without the IHS. Of course, it can be done, but it's much more sensitive to errors. And an error with this generally means you ruined your chip.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Why exactly do you need to overclock the cpu as much for?

What do you do that lags with the cpu at standard speeds? Maybe a better gpu is in order instead of ripping the ass out of the cpu.
    Once you start talking about delidding, it's really not about a gaming performance increase anymore. It's just wanting to get the absolute maximum out of your chip.

@Hammer method: Of course it works fine, but saying you have a lower chance of breaking something is ridiculous. It only takes one tap with a little too much pressure to jam the razor blade into the chip itself. There's several videos of someone tapping a bit too hard.

Be careful that you don't have any paste on the green pcb of the chip.. There's the ground so yeah.. :P
    I watched the video on how to apply the Coollaboratory paste and I does not look so hard, I will be careful tho.
    There is not menny resellers of that paste here in Sweden, I only found one good reseller.
    Last edited by Guruftw; 2013-04-18 at 01:15 PM.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

Not worth it tbh.
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    Not worth it tbh.
    What is not worth it?
    Changing paste? Changing paste does not take a long time to do, I still have some Silver left if it apears to be worse ^^

Coollaboratory's paste I meant, It stains and will scratch the die if you use it. Trying to find the post about it.
    Edit: There http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...261855&page=31
    Last edited by Confined; 2013-04-18 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    @Hammer method: Of course it works fine, but saying you have a lower chance of breaking something is ridiculous. It only takes one tap with a little too much pressure to jam the razor blade into the chip itself. There's several videos of someone tapping a bit too hard.

You're thinking about the wrong hammer method then my friend. The hammer method that he's speaking of doesn't involve a razor at all. You basically clamp down the IHS with a grip and give the PCB a gentle tap or two with a block of wood. The IHS stays in place and the PCB moves just enough to cause the glue to release.

For reference

Last edited by Shiromar; 2013-04-18 at 05:20 PM.

What is not worth it?
    Changing paste? Changing paste does not take a long time to do, I still have some Silver left if it apears to be worse ^^
    The link I gave you can compare the temp difference people have with AS5, NTH1, Coollab pro/ultra etc. Not very accurate but close enough to make a point. I don't think it would have been mentioned in that topic if it really doesn't matter which TIM you use with variations of max 1°.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it, as it's very easy to mess up the die without the IHS. Of course, it can be done, but it's much more sensitive to errors. And an error with this generally means you ruined your chip.
    There's no pump, no massive 3 lbs heatsink but only a waterblock which barely gives pressure on the die so why would that be sensitive? The hardest to do is just taking the IHS off because you can screw the wires while doing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no pump, no massive 3 lbs heatsink but only a waterblock which barely gives pressure on the die so why would that be sensitive? The hardest to do is just taking the IHS off because you can screw the wires while doing it.
    What ever do you mean? It's not the weight of that massive heatsink that puts the pressure on the CPU but the mounting mechanism. Waterblock is putting as much pressure, if not more, on the die as your top end air cooler. Probably even more if the bottom isn't completely flat but rather curved like they so often are to apply as much pressure as possible.