How to slow down those old video games?

Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I'm currently trying to figure this out for one specific game - Star Trek Bridge Commander. I've never played through it, I've heard it's good, I even picked up a full voice command 'patch' that I'm pretty excited about, that works perfectly. (strange how after 10 years there's still no games making good use of voice recognition)

My problem is that the game runs too fast - I can't play through the missions. I've had this problem with several older games, I'm not sure exactly what the issue is.

I've found some third-party random "pause"-type programs, that have variable 'pause' controls (play for X ms, pause for X ms) that might be the fix I'm looking for, but I'm not sure I like that idea. Does anyone else here have any great ideas about how to fix this issue?

I know it's a common problem with older programs, and I was hoping for some "MMO" opinions. DOSbox is not applicable for the program in question, MoSlo is another option I'm considering. (but it looks like MoSlo is going to require a windows virtualbox and even more setup)
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-04-15 at 09:38 PM.

your problem is those games ran at certain fps 10 years ago

get a fps limiter or somthing to force it to run slower :P

had the same problem when trying to play some gameboy games on the computer
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

If possible, install and play it through DosBox. You can increase/decrease CPU cycles within the program to get out the FPS you'd prefer.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988