Game like Ultima Online

I know this question has been asked a million times but I don't really mean the same design or physics or any of those similarities I really just want a game with the same rule set. Some of the qualities I loved about Ultima Online were that you could steal from other players and there was a self sustaining economy. I used to steal colored sandals then resell them. Also you could kill people and take all their stuff, I am bewildered as to why people don't want this feature in mmo games. I have been murdered and lost all my stuff plenty of times and love that aspect. Basically these features are key in my opinion. Give some suggestions or just relive those days with me whatever i'm just venting. One time someone stole my house in Ultima Online, i created a whole new character spent a month tricking them into trusting me, joining their guild and befriending them then got it all back plus more this is the type of stuff u should be able to do in these new games not kill 20 rabbits and bring it to some wizard so he can give u a blue blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by DankNasty View Post
    I know this question has been asked a million times but I don't really mean the same design or physics or any of those similarities I really just want a game with the same rule set. Some of the qualities I loved about Ultima Online were that you could steal from other players and there was a self sustaining economy. I used to steal colored sandals then resell them. Also you could kill people and take all their stuff, I am bewildered as to why people don't want this feature in mmo games. I have been murdered and lost all my stuff plenty of times and love that aspect. Basically these features are key in my opinion. Give some suggestions or just relive those days with me whatever i'm just venting. One time someone stole my house in Ultima Online, i created a whole new character spent a month tricking them into trusting me, joining their guild and befriending them then got it all back plus more this is the type of stuff u should be able to do in these new games not kill 20 rabbits and bring it to some wizard so he can give u a blue blazer.
    Haha, quick story. I once joined an RP Guild, spent about 3 months "Rping" and being what I would consider a dork. My end goal was to rob them. The day came where I got access to their tower, I robbed it clean and sold it all on ebay for $300'ish dollars.

But nobody will make a game like this anymore. What we loved about the game is victimization, either being the victim or creating them. Game designers steer clear of this now. I would assume the reasons are because new players who get quickly victimized quickly quit the game, and veterans taking advantage of newbies is going to always happen.

Keep the memories alive while you can, I doubt you will ever make better ones in a video game. I recently went back to UO for a few months, its surprisingly playable still.

EVE is probably your best bet if you are looking for an MMO where "anything goes". Only thing keeping me from it is how the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

There are many who tries to run games like this. Eve, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Xsyon, Wurm Online, Salem, to name a few, but they all have lots of flaws so you're most likely going to get hung up on all the flaws and end up hating them.

The main reason we don't see more of them is just because of money, indiedevs just don't have the time or resources to make something as expensive as an MMO to a niche audience. Why take a huge risk and most likely end up failing when you can make a facebook game and no matter how terrible it is you won't lose money.

Everquest: Next is pretty much the only sandbox from a big developer we're going to see in a few years that might be a real sandbox.

Deleted
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

I know it's a long way off release but it may be something you can look forward to

Come to think of it wasn't Ultima Online the first mmorpg I can't believe they move so far away from it. And wtf is with runescape and minecraft its like people are regressing lol. Also I tried eve online i really wanted to like it but I can never seem to force myself to get into it. Hopefully that new Ultima Online doesn't suck I already see the cookie cutter "wow" look to it.

There will never be another UO. Casuals ruined it like every other game since. I used to love roaming around PKing everyone I saw and looting their house keys and robbing them blind. Then they fixed it so you could only kill people in certain parts of the game and made it so people could kick you out of their houses to keep you from looting them. Even 10+ years ago the casual was sucking the fun from games. When will it end?

Also I heard EQ:Next was supposed to have some sandbox elements but thats too far off.

Darkfall is (was?) close to what you want. 2.0 should be out soon, if it isn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Darkfall is (was?) close to what you want. 2.0 should be out soon, if it isn't already.
    It's out already but it's not really what the OP wants, Darkfall has full loot, good combat/sieges/naval combat but it's hardly a sandbox game, you can't really steal, there are safezones, nothing can be customized etc.

Shroud is going to be nothing like UO, he has stated it. It's not an open world MMO.
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

Runescape is sort of like that, if you go wild and kill someone you can get their items.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Runescape is sort of like that, if you go wild and kill someone you can get their items.

I heard later PoE is going to release leagues that have PKing where you can loot people. I think it will only be 10-15 people allowed per map but should be fun.

EVE is about the only game that comes to mind like that these days.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

I had a Dread Lord and Glorious Lord both on Atlantic. Such amazing times.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...EATING-THREADS

Please check the stickies before creating threads.