Thread: Flag Spinning?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Flag Spinning?

Does flag spinning mean standing next to a flag and continuously right clicking it even while being interrupted?

I have seen posts saying certain classes are better at flag spinning that others. Does that make sense to anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh what??

Never heard of the phrase in my life, sorry. I doubt that's the definition of it though, in fact it's probably more likely that flag spinning is really just spinning on the spot with a flag.

Maybe AoEing near the flag so someone else can't cap it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Never heard of the phrase in my life, sorry. I doubt that's the definition of it though, in fact it's probably more likely that flag spinning is really just spinning on the spot with a flag.
    I'm with Zypherz on this one.

Can you give us an example of where it's been used? My first guess would be that 'flag spinning' is just be AoE'ing on the flag to stop enemys capping it.

Edit: In this case yes, some classes are better than others. Rogues / Monks / Death Knights / Warriors being among the elite at it. Having a spammable AoE that can't be interrupted and has near-to-no cost means that these classes have the potential to just sit on top of the flag mashing Fan of Knives / Spinning Crane Kick / Blood Boil / Thunder clap over and over completely disabling the enemy team from capping the flag.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-04-16 at 08:34 PM.

he is talking about using an AoE type ability around a flag to prevent others from capping it also called Flag Spinning for some fucking wierd reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it means to aoe the flag. It was coined on the best BG in the world during Season 9 when you made your rogue just stand there spamming fan of knives and CCing people so they couldnt cap. When a rogue uses fan of knives, they spin.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tóny View Post
    he is talking about using an AoE type ability around a flag to prevent others from capping it also called Flag Spinning for some fucking wierd reason.
    Most melee aoe involve a spinning rotation a la Bladestorm, Spinning Crane Kick, Fan of Knives, Divine Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by ReesePieces View Post
    Does flag spinning mean standing next to a flag and continuously right clicking it even while being interrupted?

I have seen posts saying certain classes are better at flag spinning that others. Does that make sense to anyone?
    Certain classes are better at being a complete waste of space? No that doesn't make any sense... Flag spinning must be something else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Yes it means to aoe the flag. It was coined on the best BG in the world during Season 9 when you made your rogue just stand there spamming fan of knives and CCing people so they couldnt cap. When a rogue uses fan of knives, they spin.
    And which BG would that be? Fairly sure you're talking about an American one which would make this whole comment rather weird. Several European battlegroups are far bigger, more active and more competitive than their US equivalent. In fact everything I've seen so far indicates more PvP players and higher participation on the EU realms.

Yeah its basically trying to keep a flag from being capped doing what ever possible not just as it says spinning aoe but cc interrupts etc.

Spinning the flag is a very common term BGs.

What people mean when they say this: do what ever it takes to ensure the flag doesn't get capped by the enemy.

Physically doing this though is difficult without some form of aoe interruption, hence the term 'spin' as in 'aoe', which effectively hits all targets attempting to cap the flag.

All classes have some form of aoe interruption which is why so many people find it extremely frustrating if there are 3 players at a flag and it gets capped, it's not possible if you're 'spinning the flag'.
    Monk Guides/Tips & Fun unique videos check it out:
    YouTube.com/SmashUpGaming

Quote Originally Posted by Smashpanda View Post

What people mean when they say this: do what ever it takes to ensure the flag doesn't get capped by the enemy.

Physically doing this though is difficult without some form of aoe interruption, hence the term 'spin' as in 'aoe', which effectively hits all targets attempting to cap the flag.

All classes have some form of aoe interruption which is why so many people find it extremely frustrating if there are 3 players at a flag and it gets capped, it's not possible if you're 'spinning the flag'.
    I think rogues could FoK and it used to interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Uhh what??
    Very constructive, where is the mod edit on thi..... oh wait you are a mod... carry on then.

It is called "Spin Flag" not Flag Spinning. All it means is, spam AOE on flag to stop enemy team from capping the node/flag. Generally Tanks/FDK/Warlocks/Rogues are responsible for this duty

Quote Originally Posted by Dylis View Post
    Very constructive, where is the mod edit on thi..... oh wait you are a mod... carry on then.
    ROFL so true nice catch

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was pretty obvious that I meant: No this doesn't make sense to me, can you explain it better? In response to
    Does that make sense to anyone?
    I'm pretty sick and tired at the moment (Pfeiffer for those who are interested), I really don't feel like thinking 5 minutes about how to word something nicely when the first thing that comes up in my mind will do as well.

Now, seeing it is about AoEing on top of a flag, I'd say that monks and rogues are top tier for this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashpanda View Post

This, it is a common term in rbgs, 'spin the flag'. Warlocks, rogues, mages, shaman's magma(?) totem are good at it. Monks are good at it but do not have a reliable range interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    I think it was pretty obvious that I meant: No this doesn't make sense to me, can you explain it better? In response to
    I'm pretty sick and tired at the moment (Pfeiffer for those who are interested), I really don't feel like thinking 5 minutes about how to word something nicely when the first thing that comes up in my mind will do as well.

Now, seeing it is about AoEing on top of a flag, I'd say that monks and rogues are top tier for this.
    Don't post something if it is not constructive. Saying"Uhh what??" is not really constructive, you could say "Can you please elaborate?".
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-04-17 at 10:10 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya we use it a lot, 'Spin the Flag!' means 'AoE to prevent people from capturing it' - it's the call when the designated flag AoE'r (ie. destro lock) gets CC chained, or when someone else spots an enemy trying to capture it (or a smoke bomb get dropped on it). The reason is that saying "AoE!" could mean just to cleave damage to wear them down or apply pressure (or that a rogue just vanished or was spotted) - but 'Spin' is a relatively unheard of word in RBGs (outside this one command), so from that first syllable you can translate "I, the designated flag guardian, have been CC'd and have spotted an enemy attempting to take advantage of this predicament by interacting with the flag!"

The call is a non-specific, top priority command to anybody who is in range and not CC'd to drop everything and stop the capture.

Edit: Also yes, for the etymology of the word, it originally came from Fan of Knives - where you would bring a rogue to AoE flags because they were borderline invincible all last expansion. Since Fan of Knives made rogues endlessly pirouette all game, it was called spinning the flag
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-04-18 at 11:01 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    I more of a fan of destro lock with rain of fire, shaman with totem and earthquake, hunter explosive trap and multishot, because these classes protect the flag even while cc'd, frost/blood dk, prot pala, and that's about it.

Yvaelle hit it on the head, but most of the time when this is called it is because the team's designated flag spinner is unable to do it for at least 5 seconds. Most of the time the frost DK is filling this role since their AoE hits hard enough to break small shields, is spammable, and is ranged. When the DK is under CC or dead he will call for a spin. Good DK target callers will also let people on their team know when they DON'T have to spin because I have seen rogues for example spinning flags at the same time as the DK and the lock which means 2 people are wasting damage done to a single target.

Most people just say "spin" as well in RBG as that is all that is needed to say.